Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 2, 2009
6:52:48 PM
Voice Mail Alternative - Fowarding if busy, if no reply, if not reachable to another number

There are alternatives to ATT's voicemail (in case you don't like it or its basic features just aren't working for you). 

I have reset all 3 call forwarding numbers in my Blackberry to forward Unanswered Calls (if busy, if no reply, if not reachable) to my land line office number.  It can be to any number you wish, your home, a virtual number, toll free, etc.  Our phone is normally set to dial ATT's voice mail call center that handles our voice mails. When we press 1 and hold #1 key its usually the number our phone dials.   The reason I changed my forwarding numbers (this is not the same as foward all calls...thats a different setting) is because my local virtual phone number with the VOIP/Voice Mail service I use does not charge inbound minutes (free) and my phone rings at my desk if I decide to ignore the mobile phone (such as rejecting the call on the mobile). If I'm not able to pick up my VOIP land line to answer the call that was forwarded to me from my mobile my virtual number answering service takes care of the call and even email's me a copy of the voice mail in a .wav file.   Since I have a media player on my blackberry I don't call in at all to get the voice mails, I simply open the .wav file (and its also on my desktop too).  But, I can still call in too (and I changed my #1 dial number to my Voip Virtual land line just in case).  In addition, based on the caller ID, I can create rules on how to hand each and every inbound call that comes into my VOIP landline virtual number.   I can completely block them, or foward them to a number of my chosing (such as to the FBI or local police department for prank callers, etc.), or even set up special voice mails based on each caller ID.    

For example, if the caller calling my mobile has their caller ID blocked and I reject the call on my mobile (or I just don't answer my mobile) that call is forwarded to my virtual VOIP home office number.  I set my virtual office number to block all incoming calls without caller ID so the caller would hear a message that says calls without caller ID displayed are not accepted and to please unblock your caller ID or call back from a different number.   I can also block calls from payphones.  The other feature (which I think some have made threads about here regarding smart limits) is the fact that I can choose to turn on a feature called "block ALL calls" which blocks all callers from ringing my VOIP virtual number that are not on my unlimited Allowed list based on caller ID.  This does not block the caller from reaching my mobile, however, but it does block them from being able to reach my Voip Virtual land line which they think they reached a non-working number.  There are some good virtual number services out there that offer these types of enhanced voice mail services that can be controlled on-line with rules. I happen to use Ring Central.com, it works the best for me but there are others out there.  Just remember, you get what you pay for and most enhanced voice mail services come at a price.  Just take a look at all the enhanced VM services we can choose from with our ATT wireless numbers.  None of them are free. 

There are alternatives to ATT's voicemail (in case you don't like it or its basic features just aren't working for you). 

I have reset all 3 call forwarding numbers in my Blackberry to forward Unanswered Calls (if busy, if no reply, if not reachable) to my land line office number.  It can be to any number you wish, your home, a virtual number, toll free, etc.  Our phone is normally set to dial ATT's voice mail call center that handles our voice mails. When we press 1 and hold #1 key its usually the number our phone dials.   The reason I changed my forwarding numbers (this is not the same as foward all calls...thats a different setting) is because my local virtual phone number with the VOIP/Voice Mail service I use does not charge inbound minutes (free) and my phone rings at my desk if I decide to ignore the mobile phone (such as rejecting the call on the mobile). If I'm not able to pick up my VOIP land line to answer the call that was forwarded to me from my mobile my virtual number answering service takes care of the call and even email's me a copy of the voice mail in a .wav file.   Since I have a media player on my blackberry I don't call in at all to get the voice mails, I simply open the .wav file (and its also on my desktop too).  But, I can still call in too (and I changed my #1 dial number to my Voip Virtual land line just in case).  In addition, based on the caller ID, I can create rules on how to hand each and every inbound call that comes into my VOIP landline virtual number.   I can completely block them, or foward them to a number of my chosing (such as to the FBI or local police department for prank callers, etc.), or even set up special voice mails based on each caller ID.    

For example, if the caller calling my mobile has their caller ID blocked and I reject the call on my mobile (or I just don't answer my mobile) that call is forwarded to my virtual VOIP home office number.  I set my virtual office number to block all incoming calls without caller ID so the caller would hear a message that says calls without caller ID displayed are not accepted and to please unblock your caller ID or call back from a different number.   I can also block calls from payphones.  The other feature (which I think some have made threads about here regarding smart limits) is the fact that I can choose to turn on a feature called "block ALL calls" which blocks all callers from ringing my VOIP virtual number that are not on my unlimited Allowed list based on caller ID.  This does not block the caller from reaching my mobile, however, but it does block them from being able to reach my Voip Virtual land line which they think they reached a non-working number.  There are some good virtual number services out there that offer these types of enhanced voice mail services that can be controlled on-line with rules. I happen to use Ring Central.com, it works the best for me but there are others out there.  Just remember, you get what you pay for and most enhanced voice mail services come at a price.  Just take a look at all the enhanced VM services we can choose from with our ATT wireless numbers.  None of them are free. 

Voice Mail Alternative - Fowarding if busy, if no reply, if not reachable to another number

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 10:09:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

stevestrsbb wrote:

Keep in mind that forwarding the calls to non-AT&T voicemail system will also come at a price — it'll use your minutes, and to the best of my knowledge it applies to calls from mobile numbers as well.

stevestrsbb wrote:

Keep in mind that forwarding the calls to non-AT&T voicemail system will also come at a price — it'll use your minutes, and to the best of my knowledge it applies to calls from mobile numbers as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Voice Mail Alternative - Fowarding if busy, if no reply, if not reachable to another number

2 of 2 (3,614 Views)