Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 12, 2010
11:57:44 AM
View profile
Visual Voicemail for Samsung Focus?
Edited by jfern60 on Nov 12, 2010 at 11:58:32 AM

Now that Microsoft has brought us a real mobile OS contender, does ATT have any plans of making Visual Voicemail available on the WP7 platform? I think it would be an excellent fit and enhancement. The iPhone has it, the BB has it the and WP7 platform seems a natural for the app.

Now that Microsoft has brought us a real mobile OS contender, does ATT have any plans of making Visual Voicemail available on the WP7 platform? I think it would be an excellent fit and enhancement. The iPhone has it, the BB has it the and WP7 platform seems a natural for the app.

Visual Voicemail for Samsung Focus?

[ Edited ]
25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 1:26:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Great question...would love to see that happen.  For now I am still using Google Voice and text transcription.  There are a few google voice apps for Windows Phone but I havent tried either of them yet.

I am sure they will work as good as a visual voicemail but without the notifier in the top tray.

Great question...would love to see that happen.  For now I am still using Google Voice and text transcription.  There are a few google voice apps for Windows Phone but I havent tried either of them yet.

I am sure they will work as good as a visual voicemail but without the notifier in the top tray.

Re: Visual Voicemail for Samsung Focus?

2 of 26 (6,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 8:37:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Please bring visual voicemail to the Focus!

Please bring visual voicemail to the Focus!

3 of 26 (6,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 7:32:00 AM
(0)
Master

I really liked Google Voice (official google app) on my Captivate. In addition to visual voice mail, it also gives me free text messages (save $$$).

Wonder how well these WP7 GV apps (I understand those are not official apps from Google) work on Focus?

I really liked Google Voice (official google app) on my Captivate. In addition to visual voice mail, it also gives me free text messages (save $$$).

Wonder how well these WP7 GV apps (I understand those are not official apps from Google) work on Focus?

4 of 26 (6,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2010 7:45:07 AM
(0)
Professor

Do any of you all use YouMail?  Has its functionality been totally eclipsed by Google Voice.  Do I need to finally get a Google account?

I enjoy you mail, but I cannot get it to fully integrate with the display icons.  For example it will not show that I have a voice mail waiting or the number of unheard voicemails waiting.  I do get the text message and email, but not the voicemail indiccator.  Any ideas?

Do any of you all use YouMail?  Has its functionality been totally eclipsed by Google Voice.  Do I need to finally get a Google account?

I enjoy you mail, but I cannot get it to fully integrate with the display icons.  For example it will not show that I have a voice mail waiting or the number of unheard voicemails waiting.  I do get the text message and email, but not the voicemail indiccator.  Any ideas?

5 of 26 (6,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2010 8:04:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hopefully more folks will ask for this and ATT will listen and deploy it for our stunning new OS!

Hopefully more folks will ask for this and ATT will listen and deploy it for our stunning new OS!

6 of 26 (6,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 3:41:04 AM
(0)
Master

Last time I checked, Visual Voice mail from AT&T has a monthly service fee. I doubt most folks will request this feature when there are 3rd party free services available.

Last time I checked, Visual Voice mail from AT&T has a monthly service fee. I doubt most folks will request this feature when there are 3rd party free services available.

7 of 26 (6,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 8:44:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

It didn't carry a seperate fee for the iPhone or Blackberry. It's a "no fee" service with a data plan which we all have anyway.

It didn't carry a seperate fee for the iPhone or Blackberry. It's a "no fee" service with a data plan which we all have anyway.

8 of 26 (6,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 9:30:21 AM
(0)
Expert

jfern60 wrote:

It's no fee because it was built into the contract from inception on the phones.

Not quit sure what the advantage to this is, hated it on the iphone and it just uses data allocations instrad of minutes as normal voicemail

jfern60 wrote:

It's no fee because it was built into the contract from inception on the phones.

Not quit sure what the advantage to this is, hated it on the iphone and it just uses data allocations instrad of minutes as normal voicemail

9 of 26 (6,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 2:55:14 PM
(0)
Teacher

You must not use VM much. Fast selective message management like visual vm provides is extremely valuable and efficient for folks on the go.

You must not use VM much. Fast selective message management like visual vm provides is extremely valuable and efficient for folks on the go.

10 of 26 (5,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 7:16:21 PM
(0)
Professor

You can download Magikmail from the WP7 Marketplace, which is a Youmail client and works great.

You can download Magikmail from the WP7 Marketplace, which is a Youmail client and works great.

11 of 26 (3,116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 3:44:52 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 1, 2010 at 3:46:10 AM

jfern60 wrote:

/rofl just because someone disagree's with you they must not use it much. Sorry does not work that way. Just personally do not like it, end of story, have absolutley nothing to do with message management at all.

jfern60 wrote:

/rofl just because someone disagree's with you they must not use it much. Sorry does not work that way. Just personally do not like it, end of story, have absolutley nothing to do with message management at all.

[ Edited ]
12 of 26 (3,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 7:34:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

jfern60 wrote:

Yes, blindly pouring through 10 messages to get to the one you want is definitely the way to go .... :smileywink:

wingrider01 wrote:

jfern60 wrote:

Yes, blindly pouring through 10 messages to get to the one you want is definitely the way to go .... :smileywink:

13 of 26 (3,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 9:18:18 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 1, 2010 at 9:19:19 AM

Not Quite Right wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jfern60 wrote:

they offer visual voice mail for an additional monthly charge - does that not work on your phone or do you just want it free?

Since my phone is business, eery vociemail message on the phone has equal priority and needs to be listened to in the order recieved, period

Not Quite Right wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jfern60 wrote:

they offer visual voice mail for an additional monthly charge - does that not work on your phone or do you just want it free?

Since my phone is business, eery vociemail message on the phone has equal priority and needs to be listened to in the order recieved, period

[ Edited ]
14 of 26 (3,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 10:25:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

There is no logical reason to defend a traditional voice mail box to visual voice mail (there really isn't).

It is such a better way of implementing a service that I can't possibly imagine the format not becoming the defacto for all cell phones in the future (a long the lines of threaded text messaging). The lack of visual voice mail was one of the reasons for me returning the Focus for a iPhone 4. I was so used to this feature after using it for 2 yrs on my iPhone 3G, that there is no going back at this point. 

There is no logical reason to defend a traditional voice mail box to visual voice mail (there really isn't).

It is such a better way of implementing a service that I can't possibly imagine the format not becoming the defacto for all cell phones in the future (a long the lines of threaded text messaging). The lack of visual voice mail was one of the reasons for me returning the Focus for a iPhone 4. I was so used to this feature after using it for 2 yrs on my iPhone 3G, that there is no going back at this point. 

15 of 26 (3,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 10:51:40 AM
(0)
Professor

Not Quite Right wrote:

I have both the iPhone 4 and the Focus.  I have never used AT&T's (iPhone4's) builtin visual voicemail. Other free services such as Youmail, Ribbit Mobile, and Google Voice are all superior with more options to AT&T's and are available on iPhone 4 and the Focus. There is not a smartphone out there that does not have a 3rd party visual voicemail app.

Not Quite Right wrote:

I have both the iPhone 4 and the Focus.  I have never used AT&T's (iPhone4's) builtin visual voicemail. Other free services such as Youmail, Ribbit Mobile, and Google Voice are all superior with more options to AT&T's and are available on iPhone 4 and the Focus. There is not a smartphone out there that does not have a 3rd party visual voicemail app.

16 of 26 (3,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2010 3:37:01 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 1, 2010 at 3:38:07 PM

Not Quite Right wrote:

not defending it, just think visual voice mail as implement by ATT and Apple is the pits. I prefer to use regular voice mail over the limited one that Apple and ATT provides - it is more accurate. As posted by guandalf there are products out there that are far superior. Used to have a personal Iphone and still have a corporate supplied iphone and I have never used the visual voice mail function on either of them

Not Quite Right wrote:

not defending it, just think visual voice mail as implement by ATT and Apple is the pits. I prefer to use regular voice mail over the limited one that Apple and ATT provides - it is more accurate. As posted by guandalf there are products out there that are far superior. Used to have a personal Iphone and still have a corporate supplied iphone and I have never used the visual voice mail function on either of them

[ Edited ]
17 of 26 (3,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 11:30:58 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

You're contradicting yourself all over the place there ... if you never used at&t - Apple's VVM  then how do you know it's the "pits"? I for one have used it for years (used it on my BlackBerry too), and think it works very well. 

I'm fully aware of 3rd party apps, and I am also aware they are a very "niche" item that in no way replaces a native app on the phone its self. 3rd party apps are also no excuse for Microsoft's short sightedness for omitting a very popular feature on WP7. Hello MS! if you want to beat the competition ... your product has to at least be as good as the competitions. :smileysurprised:

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

You're contradicting yourself all over the place there ... if you never used at&t - Apple's VVM  then how do you know it's the "pits"? I for one have used it for years (used it on my BlackBerry too), and think it works very well. 

I'm fully aware of 3rd party apps, and I am also aware they are a very "niche" item that in no way replaces a native app on the phone its self. 3rd party apps are also no excuse for Microsoft's short sightedness for omitting a very popular feature on WP7. Hello MS! if you want to beat the competition ... your product has to at least be as good as the competitions. :smileysurprised:

18 of 26 (2,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 1:12:22 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 2, 2010 at 1:16:09 PM

Not Quite Right wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

mmmm said I had a iphone so you figure it out. Beside said I did not like it, never claimed to never have used.

" Just personally do not like it, end of story"

Not Quite Right wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

mmmm said I had a iphone so you figure it out. Beside said I did not like it, never claimed to never have used.

[ Edited ]
19 of 26 (2,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2010 4:24:15 PM
(0)
Guru

Not Quite Right (Junior Newbie)-  I'm a CEO for a big company. It is VERY IMPORTANT to me, to hear the actual voice on 'voice mails.' I can tell a lot about a person's mood, whether they agree...or disagree...with my proposals, etc., etc., ad finitum. There are way too many factors to mention here. Besides, they would fall on deaf ears.

However, I feel much better, now that you have reassured me that there is NO LOGICAL REASON to defend a traditional voice mail box. I really appreciate your omnipotence & insight. It's rare, that a person can decide for EVERYONE what works for THEM.

Not Quite Right (Junior Newbie)-  I'm a CEO for a big company. It is VERY IMPORTANT to me, to hear the actual voice on 'voice mails.' I can tell a lot about a person's mood, whether they agree...or disagree...with my proposals, etc., etc., ad finitum. There are way too many factors to mention here. Besides, they would fall on deaf ears.

However, I feel much better, now that you have reassured me that there is NO LOGICAL REASON to defend a traditional voice mail box. I really appreciate your omnipotence & insight. It's rare, that a person can decide for EVERYONE what works for THEM.

20 of 26 (2,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 8:22:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

I think you did .... I highlighted it in red for your future reference. :smileysurprised:

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Not Quite Right wrote:

I think you did .... I highlighted it in red for your future reference. :smileysurprised:

21 of 26 (2,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2010 9:39:01 PM
(0)

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

22 of 26 (2,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 11:09:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

VVM is a free service.  A must have for WP7!!!  This is the thing I miss the most after switching from an iPhone... I want official and intergrated- Im not looking for a 3rd party app.  good suggestions however.  Also, MOBILE BANKING PLEASE!!!! These 2 things will be a big boost to consumers accepting the WP7 OS

VVM is a free service.  A must have for WP7!!!  This is the thing I miss the most after switching from an iPhone... I want official and intergrated- Im not looking for a 3rd party app.  good suggestions however.  Also, MOBILE BANKING PLEASE!!!! These 2 things will be a big boost to consumers accepting the WP7 OS

23 of 26 (2,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 9:00:18 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by jfern60 on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:03:31 AM
Since first posting this topic, I have selected MagikMail as the VVM solution for me. It is a full featured client for YouMail service. The developer is very responsive and puts out timely patches and improvements. It works for me.
Since first posting this topic, I have selected MagikMail as the VVM solution for me. It is a full featured client for YouMail service. The developer is very responsive and puts out timely patches and improvements. It works for me.

[ Edited ]
24 of 26 (2,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 5:43:34 PM
(0)
Professor

The other option is to use Google Voice and make the GV Voicemail your main voicemail, instead of the one AT&T provides. You then get Visual Voicemail and free transcriptions.

The other option is to use Google Voice and make the GV Voicemail your main voicemail, instead of the one AT&T provides. You then get Visual Voicemail and free transcriptions.

25 of 26 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 2:14:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

I installed the Magikmail app that works with youmail.com.  The youmail account was free and the magikmail app works nicely.

I installed the Magikmail app that works with youmail.com.  The youmail account was free and the magikmail app works nicely.

26 of 26 (2,112 Views)