Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2011
2:19:16 PM
View profile
Visiting US from UK with UK iPhone 4 and need some info

Hi everyone

I coming over to the US for a visit in a couple of months, the last time I was there I returned to the UK with a HUGE phone bill (oops). What I would like to do this time is purchase an AT&T pre paid micro sim for use in my UK iPhone 4 as I think this would be more cost effective as oppose to paying the overinflated international charges levied by O2 (my contracted UK network). Do AT&T sell pay as you go micro sims? If so would I have a problem obtaining one as I am not a US resident?

Thanks in advance for your help x

Hi everyone

I coming over to the US for a visit in a couple of months, the last time I was there I returned to the UK with a HUGE phone bill (oops). What I would like to do this time is purchase an AT&T pre paid micro sim for use in my UK iPhone 4 as I think this would be more cost effective as oppose to paying the overinflated international charges levied by O2 (my contracted UK network). Do AT&T sell pay as you go micro sims? If so would I have a problem obtaining one as I am not a US resident?

Visiting US from UK with UK iPhone 4 and need some info

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 2:25:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Not 100% sure, but it *seems* like AT&T doesn't do iPhones on prepaid plans.

You could use t-mobile (might have to cut the sim down to size yourself)

Not 100% sure, but it *seems* like AT&T doesn't do iPhones on prepaid plans.

You could use t-mobile (might have to cut the sim down to size yourself)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Visiting US from UK with UK iPhone 4 and need some info

2 of 4 (499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 4:29:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

ukgirl0604 wrote:

Hi everyone

AT&T does not sell prepaid SIms for data plans, i.e. iPhone.
If your phone is unlocked you can get a no contract month to month plan.   Unless you have a corporate sponsor or a friend in the USA who wil put you on their account as a 2nd line,   you will have to put up a large deposit with AT&T for month to month service.
Not really a problem for most rich Brits  Smiley Very Happy   ....

ukgirl0604 wrote:

Hi everyone

AT&T does not sell prepaid SIms for data plans, i.e. iPhone.
If your phone is unlocked you can get a no contract month to month plan.   Unless you have a corporate sponsor or a friend in the USA who wil put you on their account as a 2nd line,   you will have to put up a large deposit with AT&T for month to month service.
Not really a problem for most rich Brits  Smiley Very Happy   ....

3 of 4 (488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2011 5:29:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

Haha I wish I was a rich Brit :-)

It's likely that I will just have switch off my data roaming and my 3G whilst I am in the US to avoid being screwed over again by O2 and will utilise the hotel's free wifi instead. I suppose it wont hurt to live without Facebook for a few hours a day :-)

Thank you for the replies and information x

Haha I wish I was a rich Brit :-)

It's likely that I will just have switch off my data roaming and my 3G whilst I am in the US to avoid being screwed over again by O2 and will utilise the hotel's free wifi instead. I suppose it wont hurt to live without Facebook for a few hours a day :-)

Thank you for the replies and information x

4 of 4 (481 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments