Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 5, 2011
11:18:30 AM
View profile
Videos appeared on in my Gallery file GSII????

Not sure how this happened but today I went into my Gallery on my Galaxy S2 and found 5 videos & 3 images mysteriously were downloaded and saved in my Gallery file, 1 Movie trailer, 3 commercials (Priceline, Downey & Jack in the Box) and a ad for Shopping list APP???  The images were like thumbnails for "Tapjoy"??
I haven't connected my phone to my PC in days so that's not how they got there sooo how did they get there???  I've added nothing nor went to any sites for multimedia in days either.. I did add a APN On/Off widget, the developer is Curvefish but don't think that has anything to do with this since I can't find any connection between Curveshif and TapJoy.. 

Any clues guys?? TIA 

Not sure how this happened but today I went into my Gallery on my Galaxy S2 and found 5 videos & 3 images mysteriously were downloaded and saved in my Gallery file, 1 Movie trailer, 3 commercials (Priceline, Downey & Jack in the Box) and a ad for Shopping list APP???  The images were like thumbnails for "Tapjoy"??
I haven't connected my phone to my PC in days so that's not how they got there sooo how did they get there???  I've added nothing nor went to any sites for multimedia in days either.. I did add a APN On/Off widget, the developer is Curvefish but don't think that has anything to do with this since I can't find any connection between Curveshif and TapJoy.. 

Any clues guys?? TIA 

Videos appeared on in my Gallery file GSII????

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 1:46:29 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 5, 2011 at 1:48:31 PM

It is probably from one of the apps you installed. If the app download and saved them to the storage, sooner or later it will show up in Gallery (whenever media scanner picks them up, e.g. reboot the phone). What you should do is check the location of those files to determine which app downloaded it.

Media Scanner scans all files on your storage and catelog any media files (images, music or videos) into the internal database. Gallery App use the database to display all images and videos. Music app use the same database to display all music files. Video app use the same database to display all videos.

Meida Scanner runs whenever you  boot up the phone or whenever you disconnect USB to a PC.

There are ways to tell media scanner to skip certain folders by place a specially named (.nomedia ?) empty file in that folder.

It is probably from one of the apps you installed. If the app download and saved them to the storage, sooner or later it will show up in Gallery (whenever media scanner picks them up, e.g. reboot the phone). What you should do is check the location of those files to determine which app downloaded it.

Media Scanner scans all files on your storage and catelog any media files (images, music or videos) into the internal database. Gallery App use the database to display all images and videos. Music app use the same database to display all music files. Video app use the same database to display all videos.

Meida Scanner runs whenever you  boot up the phone or whenever you disconnect USB to a PC.

There are ways to tell media scanner to skip certain folders by place a specially named (.nomedia ?) empty file in that folder.

Re: Videos appeared on in my Gallery file GSII????

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 2:48:18 PM
(0)
Scholar
That makes sense, tried two different data switches so they probably got put on by one of them. First time this has happened since I bought my Galaxy S2.. I haven't noticed any big jumps in my data usage so being included with app download would explain it.
That makes sense, tried two different data switches so they probably got put on by one of them. First time this has happened since I bought my Galaxy S2.. I haven't noticed any big jumps in my data usage so being included with app download would explain it.

3 of 8 (479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:33:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I have a music app on my Captivate (MP3 Music Download) and when I go to download songs that sync to my Music Player, I somehow get odd and unfamiliar images that show up in my Gallery as well. I never remember downloading them by themselves personally (which I wouldn't want to, it's just junk anyway), but they're annoying once I find them in there every time I go to download a song.

Perhaps something similar to my case happened to you, where you downloaded an app or something and other image files were download along with it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I have a music app on my Captivate (MP3 Music Download) and when I go to download songs that sync to my Music Player, I somehow get odd and unfamiliar images that show up in my Gallery as well. I never remember downloading them by themselves personally (which I wouldn't want to, it's just junk anyway), but they're annoying once I find them in there every time I go to download a song.

Perhaps something similar to my case happened to you, where you downloaded an app or something and other image files were download along with it.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 8:54:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Foxbat said: "There are ways to tell media scanner to skip certain folders by place a specially named (.nomedia ?) empty file in that folder"

I created a new folder in the Downloads folder and named it -- .nomedia  (dot nomedia).  It did not accept the ? mark.  I presume that that was a typo, correct?

I then experimented in various ways, and it appears to work as advertised.  After Media Scanner runs, the downloaded picture/video etc. no longer appears in the Galary app.  Thanks for the great tip!

The empty file named .nomedia does not appear anywhere.  How can I find it and remove it if so desired?

foxbat121 wrote:

Foxbat said: "There are ways to tell media scanner to skip certain folders by place a specially named (.nomedia ?) empty file in that folder"

I created a new folder in the Downloads folder and named it -- .nomedia  (dot nomedia).  It did not accept the ? mark.  I presume that that was a typo, correct?

I then experimented in various ways, and it appears to work as advertised.  After Media Scanner runs, the downloaded picture/video etc. no longer appears in the Galary app.  Thanks for the great tip!

The empty file named .nomedia does not appear anywhere.  How can I find it and remove it if so desired?

foxbat121 wrote:

5 of 8 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 11:29:31 AM
(0)
Master
IIRC, either a filename or folder name will do the trick.

6 of 8 (389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 7:45:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

foxbat121 wrote:

Thanks for quick reply.  But I do not know how to locate the folder that I created with the name .nomedia.  It seems to be doing the job, but if I should want to remove it, how can I find it?

foxbat121 wrote:

Thanks for quick reply.  But I do not know how to locate the folder that I created with the name .nomedia.  It seems to be doing the job, but if I should want to remove it, how can I find it?

7 of 8 (361 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 2:38:10 PM
(0)
Master

My Files app on your phone or any other File Explorer app, or adb for command line.

My Files app on your phone or any other File Explorer app, or adb for command line.

8 of 8 (350 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments