Posted Nov 9, 2011
9:12:17 PM
View profile
Very happy

I am very happy with AT&T right now.  I like the 200 messages for $4.99 package, and my mother and I had great customer service when we had trouble with my phone; the conversation didn't take long at all.  The only thing negative I have to say is that I pay a lot for long distance because my fiancee lives in Bangladesh.  But, really, every provider has higher rates for international calls and texts, don't they?

I am very happy with AT&T right now.  I like the 200 messages for $4.99 package, and my mother and I had great customer service when we had trouble with my phone; the conversation didn't take long at all.  The only thing negative I have to say is that I pay a lot for long distance because my fiancee lives in Bangladesh.  But, really, every provider has higher rates for international calls and texts, don't they?

Very happy

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 9:59:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Assuming you're not a heavy texter, hold on to that $4.99/200 msg plan. They've eliminated that and the $10/1000 msg plan from their options. Now you're left with just the $20/unlimited for individual or $30/unlimited for family. How much do you text your fiancee in Bangladesh? AT&T's GoPhone $50/unlimited plan actually includes unlimited text messaging to select countries. If you use your phone less than 25 days in a month, the $2/day PAYG plan also gives you unlimited int'l messaging. I think the per minute rate for int'l long distance is also lower on prepaid.
Assuming you're not a heavy texter, hold on to that $4.99/200 msg plan. They've eliminated that and the $10/1000 msg plan from their options. Now you're left with just the $20/unlimited for individual or $30/unlimited for family. How much do you text your fiancee in Bangladesh? AT&T's GoPhone $50/unlimited plan actually includes unlimited text messaging to select countries. If you use your phone less than 25 days in a month, the $2/day PAYG plan also gives you unlimited int'l messaging. I think the per minute rate for int'l long distance is also lower on prepaid.

Re: Very happy

2 of 12 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 4:43:00 AM
(0)

We also call each other, and I'm paying over $1 a minute.  It's mostly the calls that I'm asking about since they are so expensive.  The text messaging part is not as bad.  It's a little higher than texting people who are in the US, but the difference between the calling rates for international calls and domestic calls are huge.

We also call each other, and I'm paying over $1 a minute.  It's mostly the calls that I'm asking about since they are so expensive.  The text messaging part is not as bad.  It's a little higher than texting people who are in the US, but the difference between the calling rates for international calls and domestic calls are huge.

3 of 12 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 5:52:58 PM
(0)
Guru
Do you have a smartphone? There are a number of third party solutions that can reduce your cost, but most work better with smartphones, either Android or iOS/
Do you have a smartphone? There are a number of third party solutions that can reduce your cost, but most work better with smartphones, either Android or iOS/

4 of 12 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 11:32:46 PM
(0)

No, I do not have a smartphone, just a simple pay-as-you-go phone.

No, I do not have a smartphone, just a simple pay-as-you-go phone.

5 of 12 (720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 12:34:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:38:51 PM

You should be getting charged $0.80 to call a landline and $0.85 to call a mobile phone in Bangladesh if you have the World Connect plan (recurring $3.99/month fee).  Otherwise it would be $3.49 landline and $3.54 mobile (without World Connect).

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp?wtLinkName=Viewinternati...

You should be getting charged $0.80 to call a landline and $0.85 to call a mobile phone in Bangladesh if you have the World Connect plan (recurring $3.99/month fee).  Otherwise it would be $3.49 landline and $3.54 mobile (without World Connect).

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp?wtLinkName=Viewinternationallongdistanceplans&wtLinkLoc=BDY

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 12 (701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 3:31:23 PM
(0)

It costs me around $1.19 a minute so I must have World Connect.  That would be terrible if I had to pay over $3.00 a minute.

It costs me around $1.19 a minute so I must have World Connect.  That would be terrible if I had to pay over $3.00 a minute.

7 of 12 (693 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 4:54:11 AM
(0)
Guru
It won't help you with the text messages, but look at rebtel.com -- four cents a minute to landlines and mobiles. They assign you virtual US p[hone numbers that only your preapproved callers can call (it looks at inbound caller ID). Just store those names in your phone book and dial those numbers instead of the international ones. The connections are quick . You can send text messages to thieir virtual numbers at 2.2 cents a text, but I'm not sure that you are going get a threaded experience (e.g. the inbound message may go to one number and the outbound may be in a different place).
It won't help you with the text messages, but look at rebtel.com -- four cents a minute to landlines and mobiles. They assign you virtual US p[hone numbers that only your preapproved callers can call (it looks at inbound caller ID). Just store those names in your phone book and dial those numbers instead of the international ones. The connections are quick . You can send text messages to thieir virtual numbers at 2.2 cents a text, but I'm not sure that you are going get a threaded experience (e.g. the inbound message may go to one number and the outbound may be in a different place).

8 of 12 (688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2011 3:12:12 PM
(0)

Thank you all for giving advice.  I really appreciate it.

I guess the only way I'll be able to make cheap calls is to get a credit card or PayPal. 

Thank you all for giving advice.  I really appreciate it.

I guess the only way I'll be able to make cheap calls is to get a credit card or PayPal. 

9 of 12 (682 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 4:06:22 AM
(0)
Guru
Remember that you can buy prepaid Mastercards and Visas at any drugstore. I hear that Walmart has the beest prepaid credit card, but I am not overly familiar with that market.
Remember that you can buy prepaid Mastercards and Visas at any drugstore. I hear that Walmart has the beest prepaid credit card, but I am not overly familiar with that market.

10 of 12 (672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 11:57:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mnew90 wrote:

It should be $0.80 to 0.85 (as indicated in the webpage I linked previously), so they may be charging you incorrectly.

mnew90 wrote:

It should be $0.80 to 0.85 (as indicated in the webpage I linked previously), so they may be charging you incorrectly.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 12 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 2:27:38 PM
(0)

I think it does cost $0.80 or $0.85 plus other charges.

I think it does cost $0.80 or $0.85 plus other charges.

12 of 12 (613 Views)