Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 23, 2008
1:02:15 PM
View profile
Very frustrated new user of Unlimited Family Messaging
I just got the Unlimited Family Messaging plan on 4/8/08.  I have 5 lines on my account.

Before that, my daughter's line had the 200 Message plan.  We had "WIX Blocked" and she never had any data usage charges.

On 4/8/08, I dropped the 200 Message plan and added the Unlimited Family Messaging plan.

On 4/9 and 4/10, my daughter's line showed over 4MB of data usage, charged at $0.01/KB = $40!!!!

I have discussed the situation at length with my daughter and she assures me she has not been "surfing the internet".  We are at a loss to understand where these data usage charges are coming from.  Customer Service tells me they cannot tell me what internet sites she was hitting, etc.  There is even a huge data charge (1.3MB all at once) on a date and time when my daughter most likely was asleep in bed!!!

I have talked to Customer Service over and over and over to try to get my account set up so that we can share Text Messaging without having access to the Internet.  Basically, I'm told it is now impossible and I need to PURCHASE a Media.net package or PURCHASE a Smart Limit package.  In other words, I have to pay MORE to make sure I get LESS.

ALL I WANT IS TEXT MESSAGING!!!  NO INTERNET!!!

AT&T/CINGULAR - can you not set up my account the way I need it?  I'm VERY frustrated right now and ready to move on to a company that can handle what should be a simple request.

Please tell me you can fix this!
I just got the Unlimited Family Messaging plan on 4/8/08.  I have 5 lines on my account.

Before that, my daughter's line had the 200 Message plan.  We had "WIX Blocked" and she never had any data usage charges.

On 4/8/08, I dropped the 200 Message plan and added the Unlimited Family Messaging plan.

On 4/9 and 4/10, my daughter's line showed over 4MB of data usage, charged at $0.01/KB = $40!!!!

I have discussed the situation at length with my daughter and she assures me she has not been "surfing the internet".  We are at a loss to understand where these data usage charges are coming from.  Customer Service tells me they cannot tell me what internet sites she was hitting, etc.  There is even a huge data charge (1.3MB all at once) on a date and time when my daughter most likely was asleep in bed!!!

I have talked to Customer Service over and over and over to try to get my account set up so that we can share Text Messaging without having access to the Internet.  Basically, I'm told it is now impossible and I need to PURCHASE a Media.net package or PURCHASE a Smart Limit package.  In other words, I have to pay MORE to make sure I get LESS.

ALL I WANT IS TEXT MESSAGING!!!  NO INTERNET!!!

AT&T/CINGULAR - can you not set up my account the way I need it?  I'm VERY frustrated right now and ready to move on to a company that can handle what should be a simple request.

Please tell me you can fix this!

Very frustrated new user of Unlimited Family Messaging

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2008 1:33:22 PM
(0)
Master
It sounds like when AT&T changed your texting package, they also removed the WIX block from your daughter's line.  Just have them put the WIX block back on the line.  Be aware, however, that she will NOT be able to send/receive MMS with the WIX block in place.
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.
It sounds like when AT&T changed your texting package, they also removed the WIX block from your daughter's line.  Just have them put the WIX block back on the line.  Be aware, however, that she will NOT be able to send/receive MMS with the WIX block in place.
If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Re: Very frustrated new user of Unlimited Family Messaging

2 of 10 (3,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2008 3:42:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
I've tried to have that done and they say they can no longer do that.  They cannot put WIX Blocking on if you have text messaging.  At least 2 or 2 different customer service reps have assured me that is the case.
I've tried to have that done and they say they can no longer do that.  They cannot put WIX Blocking on if you have text messaging.  At least 2 or 2 different customer service reps have assured me that is the case.

3 of 10 (3,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2008 3:43:04 PM
(0)
Contributor
Make that 2 or "3".  LOL
Make that 2 or "3".  LOL

4 of 10 (3,277 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2008 5:57:14 PM
(0)
Professor
I have Unlimited Texting for Families also, and only I have a MediaNet package. Neither of my kids have ever been assessed for data use when texting.
I'm curious what phone your daughter has... is it a PDA or smartphone?
I have Unlimited Texting for Families also, and only I have a MediaNet package. Neither of my kids have ever been assessed for data use when texting.
I'm curious what phone your daughter has... is it a PDA or smartphone?
Posted from my iPhone 4. Look at me I'm hot and nerdy.

5 of 10 (3,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2008 7:01:30 AM
(0)
Tutor
You can go online and block it yourself. Just be sure you do all of your phones.
You can go online and block it yourself. Just be sure you do all of your phones.

6 of 10 (3,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2008 2:14:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
Customer Service really can't block internet and leave Family messaging on there.  here's the logic why.

The Family Unlimited Messaging plan is inclusive of all types of Multimedia Messages.  In order for MMS to be sent and recieved, an internet connection is needed, even if it is just the Medianet pay per use.  Instead of being billed for the data usage each MMS would use, you pay $30 for unlimited messaging.  Since the Family Messaging Plan relies on having a MediaNet plan in order to function, it would be impossible for it to exist on account with a WIX block, they contradict each other.

Of course the only way there would be internet charges on your bill is if the internet was used through web browsing, downloading, WAP Instant messaging, etc.  The Family Messaging Unlimited plan does not create internet charges of it's own.
Customer Service really can't block internet and leave Family messaging on there.  here's the logic why.

The Family Unlimited Messaging plan is inclusive of all types of Multimedia Messages.  In order for MMS to be sent and recieved, an internet connection is needed, even if it is just the Medianet pay per use.  Instead of being billed for the data usage each MMS would use, you pay $30 for unlimited messaging.  Since the Family Messaging Plan relies on having a MediaNet plan in order to function, it would be impossible for it to exist on account with a WIX block, they contradict each other.

Of course the only way there would be internet charges on your bill is if the internet was used through web browsing, downloading, WAP Instant messaging, etc.  The Family Messaging Unlimited plan does not create internet charges of it's own.

7 of 10 (3,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2008 4:12:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
Motorola phones have a way to actually LOCK applications, hence you can set up a security code that must be entered before any internet connection is established... aside from that, no matter who you get ahold of, media net cannot be blocked with family messaging, the text package you had was one of TWO old packages that actually DID block media net (internet) while allowing either 200 or 2500 messages.  But, in order to even add this to only her line, you would need to remove her out of the family talk plan.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Motorola phones have a way to actually LOCK applications, hence you can set up a security code that must be entered before any internet connection is established... aside from that, no matter who you get ahold of, media net cannot be blocked with family messaging, the text package you had was one of TWO old packages that actually DID block media net (internet) while allowing either 200 or 2500 messages.  But, in order to even add this to only her line, you would need to remove her out of the family talk plan.

8 of 10 (3,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2008 7:00:32 PM
(0)
Master

lkc2854 wrote:

Been there, done that.  It's something with the unlimited texting plan, you can't block the internet access..  Period.  You can put a content blocker, but not an internet blocker.

Found that out after I got my daughters Samsung Sync phones, and got $40+ in internet charges.

She wasn't acessing medianet, but she was accessing the music & video portions of the phone, which is essentially what caused the charges.  A simple, "stay out of mobitv and AT&T Music, or you lose your phone privledges" immediately stopped those charges.  Smiley Wink

lkc2854 wrote:

Been there, done that.  It's something with the unlimited texting plan, you can't block the internet access..  Period.  You can put a content blocker, but not an internet blocker.

Found that out after I got my daughters Samsung Sync phones, and got $40+ in internet charges.

She wasn't acessing medianet, but she was accessing the music & video portions of the phone, which is essentially what caused the charges.  A simple, "stay out of mobitv and AT&T Music, or you lose your phone privledges" immediately stopped those charges.  Smiley Wink

9 of 10 (3,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2008 7:00:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Since you can't add a WIX block and keep Unlimited Family Messaging, here's something that you may want to try.

Access ATT's Device Tutorial
Find your device and look up how to access the browser settings
On your phone's browser settings, make every single setting 0.

Doing that, your phone will not be able to access the internet unless you go back there and put in the correct browser settings.  Of course, be aware that by doint this the phone will no longer be able to send/recieve Multimedia Messages.
Since you can't add a WIX block and keep Unlimited Family Messaging, here's something that you may want to try.

Access ATT's Device Tutorial
Find your device and look up how to access the browser settings
On your phone's browser settings, make every single setting 0.

Doing that, your phone will not be able to access the internet unless you go back there and put in the correct browser settings.  Of course, be aware that by doint this the phone will no longer be able to send/recieve Multimedia Messages.

10 of 10 (2,967 Views)