10-04-2011 1:48 PM
My wife and I are on a family plan with my folks and my brother. We both have an iPhone 3G and have been eligible for an upgrade for a while now, so that's not a concern. My questions are:
1) When we bought our iPhone 3Gs in 2008, we waited hours in line at the Apple store, only to discover that we were required to buy through AT&T since we were on a family plan. Is that still the case? I don't mind going through AT&T as long as we can pre-order. I saw how people who didn't pre-order a 4G ended up having to wait quite a while to get their hands on one.
2) Assuming I am required to go through AT&T, how does the pre-order process work?
3) We are grandfathered in on unlimited data (at least, I think we are). Is it a foregone conclusion that we will lose this when we upgrade? Is there any way to preserve it?
10-04-2011 2:24 PM - edited 10-04-2011 2:26 PM
1) I am on a family plan and I pre-ordered both our iPhone 4 on the Apple website the first day I could. The site was slow but worth the patience and got there in the end. They were shipped to our door a day early even, so no waiting in line...priceless! Apple has access to all your contract info so I highly recommend pre-order Oct 7th from apple.com.
2) Don't go through AT&T, really easy on the apple.com. You pay at the time of order and they ship it to your house. You will have to place 2 orders (assuming you have 2 lines to upgrade) becasue it goes by phone number. So just order one phone at a time. Back up your existing iPhone and then plug your new one into iTunes, it will recognize it as a new phone and activate it and then you restore all your information from your old phone.
3) Your unlimited data (if you have it already) will not change. You will still be grandfathered. As long as you are just upgrading phones and not wanting to change plans.
10-04-2011 2:52 PM
Awesome. If what you say is true, it's a huge load off my mind. I basically just didn't want to get into a situation on the 7th where I was trying to preorder through Apple and then discovered that there was some technicality that wouldn't let me do so, only to find myself at the back of the line with AT&T. I didn't mention, but neither my wife nor I are the primaries on the family account (my mom is). I wonder if this adds a wrinkle.
I'm still skeptical about being able to keep my current data plan, however, since a two-year contract renewal is required. But hope you're right.
10-04-2011 7:06 PM
Preorders can be done on att.com, apple.com, AT&T Stores (at store open time, check using store locator tool), Apple Stores (check store open time at apple.com store locator tool), and through customer service (both sales, and normal customer service). Preorders start on 10/07, and I recommend to pre order early in the morning, as it will be a first come first serve basis.
© 2016 AT&T Intellectual Property.This link will open a new window All rights reserved. AT&T, Globe logo, Mobilizing Your World and DIRECTV are registered trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Congratulations! You earned the Liz badge!