Verizon vs. AT&T

Scholar

Verizon vs. AT&T

So I was looking around at the Verizon forums, and just for fun I did a little comparison of the first page of Verizions "Other" forum to AT&T's "General Care and Support" forum. 

In the Verizon forum 3 out of the first 30 topics are bad customer service experiences.  In the AT&T forum 14 out of 30 are bad customer service experiences. 

I didn't even count the network problems because Verizon had 1, and AT&T has to have a completely separate forum to deal with that. 

The bad AT&T customer service topics have a MUCH more frustrated and angry tone to them, leading me to believe that the rare bad customer service experience with Verizon is mildy agitating as opposed to the much more frequent bad customer service experience with AT&T which is incredibly aggrevating and frustrating.

The best part is that on many of the Verizon customer service posts, an actual customer service representative answers and helps them solve their problem!

Message 1 of 19 (2,172 Views)
Scholar

Re: Verizon vs. AT&T

I did notice that Verizon reps do help out a lot. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 19 (2,164 Views)
Mentor

The #1 thing people are going to complain about is coverage issues, followed by billing issues.
Message 3 of 19 (2,161 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]
Ugh...do you have to bring this up? (-.-)

I'm sure that the participants here on this Forum (as well as myself) realize that AT&T is certainly not the best company out there in today's world, but then again, neither is any other company, no matter what service they may perform or what they sell. It seems clear that, indeed, Verizon is superior to AT&T, although each company has their pros and cons opposed to each other.

AT&T seems to have not-so-great customer service and sometimes spotty to no coverage, Verizon seems to have issues with billing and occasionally customer service experiences. The reason why I left Verizon was because of their hefty pricing on such a simple plan. AT&T works for me, so I choose to stick with them.

Customer service in general is not something anyone wants to deal with. When a problem arises, you just wish it would fix itself or if you had a question, you'd have the answer in a snap of your fingers. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Whether it be through direct contact, on a telephone, or virtually, CS is not too pleasant or particularly relaxing to have to cope with. Now, I'm sure you know that, but just stating a point.

If the Verizon customers are happy, let them be happy. If the AT&T customers don't seem to be all that satisfied, they have either one of two choices - not stick with AT&T as a company/try to get the issue they are having sorted out. AT&T is most definitely not perfect, just like evey other corporation on Earth. They all have their kinks and quirks.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 19 (2,145 Views)
Scholar

Well, no I didn't noting.  I only used Verizon as an example because that's who I've personally been researching and thinking about switching to.

It seems like we're both on the same page overall, although I think you give AT&T too much credit.  I think descriptions like "not-so-great" and "They all have their kinks and quirks" paint a prettier picture of them than they deserve, but hey, that's just my opinion.  If they work for you, by all means stick with them. 

You have to imagine that only a small number of dissatisfied customers actually take the time to post their complaints on the forum.  If the daily bombardment of angry, frustrated, dissatisfied customers is any indication, I would say it is an AT&T specific problem that doesn't seem to be happening to the same degree with other carriers.  I was just trying to point that out. 

Message 5 of 19 (2,128 Views)
Scholar

my post got cut off...the first paragraph should have read like this:

Well, no I didn't HAVE too.  Smiley Wink  I just thought the drastic difference between the two forums was worth noting.  I only used Verizon as an example because that's who I've personally been researching and thinking about switching to.

Message 6 of 19 (2,126 Views)
Master

Okay... Overall, yes, I would say that we are on the same page - that AT&T is a somewhat "unprofessional" company that does have its problems in certain fields. And you're right, people would not be complaining if there was not a problem with their service in general. I guess seeing all of these complaints almost every day all add up and make someone like me say, "Oh no, here we go again..." Smiley Very Happy

It's absolutely fine if you'd like to switch to Verizon when your contract is up, according to who you were comparing AT&T to. Verizon is not a bad company - they just have pricier plans for what I'm currently getting right now at a significantly cheaper price (of course, I definitely do not get as much voice minutes...)

What I'm trying to say is that I sort of get tired of AT&T always being compared to Verizon or vice-versa. That is probably due to both of them being the top two cell phone carriers in the United States, but it just seems too repetitive to me. Smiley Indifferent

Message 7 of 19 (2,120 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

You know, it could be because Verizon does more moderating also.  ATT leaves stuff up here even when the original poster is a blatent liar.

The most common complaint I see around here starts with:

"I have been a loyal customer for X number of years" 

"I want to do something that I can't and ATT should cave to my needs because I've been a loyal customer for X number of   years" 

"oh yeah and PS - the customer is always right, especially one that has been a loyal customer for X number of years"

ATT doesn't bend over backwards or bend the rules just because someone complains.  That makes this forum a bit more whiney, IMHO.

Message 8 of 19 (2,117 Views)
Scholar

You know, it could be because Verizon does more moderating also.  ATT leaves stuff up here even when the original poster is a blatent liar.

ATT doesn't bend over backwards or bend the rules just because someone complains.  That makes this forum a bit more whiney, IMHO.

Could be, but I think it's much more likely that I'm right and overall customer satisfaction is just lower with AT&T.  It seems to me like the moderators are right on top of it whenever someone throws a swear, or something else inappropriate in their posts. 

Why would you assume that people who have complaints are liars?  I would assume the opposite unless they prove themselves to be liars.  I have a feeling not very many people wake up in the morning and out the blue say to themselves, "I think I'm going to lie on the AT&T forums today.". 

Also, contract or no, customer loyalty SHOULD count for something, and with other carriers apparently it does.  It has nothing to do with bending over backwards.  Being treated like a human being would be nice. 

Message 9 of 19 (2,103 Views)
Scholar

Mainly it is coverage that people complain about. I say get the service that best suits your area. Coverage isn't 100% and i doubt any carrier has 97% of anything covered.

Message 10 of 19 (2,097 Views)
Expert

Bwolffdrums wrote:

Could be, but I think it's much more likely that I'm right and overall customer satisfaction is just lower with AT&T.  It seems to me like the moderators are right on top of it whenever someone throws a swear, or something else inappropriate in their posts. 

Why would you assume that people who have complaints are liars?  I would assume the opposite unless they prove themselves to be liars.  I have a feeling not very many people wake up in the morning and out the blue say to themselves, "I think I'm going to lie on the AT&T forums today.". 

Also, contract or no, customer loyalty SHOULD count for something, and with other carriers apparently it does.  It has nothing to do with bending over backwards.  Being treated like a human being would be nice. 

Quality of customer service is an interesting beast. It seems that if the person gets everything they want when they call in, the quality is vastly superior to anything, if they don't get what they want because of corporate policy (aka they are a life long customer and they should be able to upgrade their phone for a subsidized cost when every they demand) then cusotemr service is the worst in the world.

Add to the simple fact that anyone that posts about a problem with any companies CS department will also lean the post to make them look like the injured party and the big bad greedy corporation is lieing, cheating and stealing from there innocent customers.

Customer loyality is a good thing, but expecting your loyality to any company that provides a service to allow you to override your terms of service or the contract you are in is illogical and wrong.

Message 11 of 19 (2,014 Views)
Master

Smiley Very Happy - This one got me laughing. I agree - not many people would just randomly put that in their agenda for the day, unless they were extremely bored or wanted to cause trouble otherwise.

Verizon's Forum is not well-moderated, although it could be that they pull complaint threads out of their discussion boards. You never know. I've seen foul language and unnecessary comments on the Verizon boards, and I couldn't believe that the mods there didn't edit it out. I would say that the moderators here do a much better job.

I know that this thread is going to be flooded with probably up to three or four pages. But everyone has their own opinion and are free to share it. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19 (2,009 Views)
Mentor

I have been with Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, and now AT&T. Verizon has good coverage but that's where it ended for us. They tried to bill us for $60 in domestic roaming on a free roaming plan--HUH?  45min phone call and a supervisor later, we got it credited. We had three lines and a data card with them, paid the ETF, and dropped Verizon Wireless along with our landline with them a few weeks later. We switched to T-Mobile....T-Mobile had poor coverage in our area but their customer service was great. We switched to AT&T when we got iPhones....  In the last three years we've been with AT&T, minimal issues with billing and coverage but overall it's been fine. 

Message 13 of 19 (2,000 Views)
Scholar

Quality of customer service is an interesting beast. It seems that if the person gets everything they want when they call in, the quality is vastly superior to anything, if they don't get what they want because of corporate policy (aka they are a life long customer and they should be able to upgrade their phone for a subsidized cost when every they demand) then cusotemr service is the worst in the world.

Add to the simple fact that anyone that posts about a problem with any companies CS department will also lean the post to make them look like the injured party and the big bad greedy corporation is lieing, cheating and stealing from there innocent customers.

Customer loyality is a good thing, but expecting your loyality to any company that provides a service to allow you to override your terms of service or the contract you are in is illogical and wrong.

Good points!  I think I took the term "blatant liar" a little too literally. 

What if all the customer wants is an explanation or an answer though?  I seem to notice that a lot of the customer service complaints on here are people who have been told "I don't know" all the way to the top of the supervisor chain.  Or getting transferred a bunch of times over the course of an hour only to be forgotten about or hung up on. 

I know that's the problem I've had trying to figure out why my service is so bad in Chicago.  I'm not asking for special treatment, I just would like to know why it's so bad, and if and when I can expect it to be fixed.

I think more often than not it's just a general sense that AT&T just doesn't care enough to deal with it's customers.  Like we're some burden on them or something.

Message 14 of 19 (1,996 Views)
Expert

Bwolffdrums wrote:

Good points!  I think I took the term "blatant liar" a little too literally. 

What if all the customer wants is an explanation or an answer though?  I seem to notice that a lot of the customer service complaints on here are people who have been told "I don't know" all the way to the top of the supervisor chain.  Or getting transferred a bunch of times over the course of an hour only to be forgotten about or hung up on. 

I know that's the problem I've had trying to figure out why my service is so bad in Chicago.  I'm not asking for special treatment, I just would like to know why it's so bad, and if and when I can expect it to be fixed.

I think more often than not it's just a general sense that AT&T just doesn't care enough to deal with it's customers.  Like we're some burden on them or something.

In all the years (decades) I have dealt with ATT for home phone (wireless and POTS), business phones (wireless and POTS), special services (T-1's, OC48's) I have had a mixture of service. The worst was when I switched to the Unity Mobile service option (no longer available), the billed my cell phone service to someone else, that took a while to resovle. Have service through verizon and sprint for location specific wireless and special services

As far as any carrier fitting your statement of "just doesn;t care enough to deal with it's customers" again is a matter of perception,  valid billing issues would be a concern, but yelling because the company would not cave in to the demand of unlocking a phone, letting them get a subsidized phone before the upgrade date, and the such appear to be the higher percentages of the complaints.

Message 15 of 19 (1,991 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.