Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 7, 2011
3:21:08 PM
View profile
Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?
According to the wall street journal, anniuncement will be made next week http://on.wsj.com/gta0Gd
According to the wall street journal, anniuncement will be made next week http://on.wsj.com/gta0Gd

Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?

50 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(50)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 4:36:03 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by stclair49 on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:37:21 PM

Old news. I said this here months ago. Just missed it by one day. See my post in the topic below.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Is-iphone-coming-to-a-competitor-No-coverage-at-my-home-fo...

Old news. I said this here months ago. Just missed it by one day. See my post in the topic below.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Is-iphone-coming-to-a-competitor-No-coverage-at-my-home-for-past/m-p/2010050#M49327

Re: Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?

[ Edited ]
2 of 51 (2,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 4:59:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well it won't effect me I have no reason to switch. But it will be interesting to see how many at&t haters over

the years will switch to Verizon. IM guessing not as many as some are saying.

Well it won't effect me I have no reason to switch. But it will be interesting to see how many at&t haters over

the years will switch to Verizon. IM guessing not as many as some are saying.

3 of 51 (2,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 5:04:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

LOL after market close, VZ stock up nearly $1 (3%) on that news.

Good day to have some VZ stock Smiley Happy

LOL after market close, VZ stock up nearly $1 (3%) on that news.

Good day to have some VZ stock Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 51 (2,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 5:31:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm happy with AT&T but hopefully having some competition will drive down the monthly fees we pay for date+texting+minutes.

I'm happy with AT&T but hopefully having some competition will drive down the monthly fees we pay for date+texting+minutes.

5 of 51 (2,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:58:20 PM
(0)
Scholar
Re: Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?[ Edited ]

http://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Is-iphon​e-coming-to-a-competitor-No-coverage-at-my-home-f...

Yep you called it! 

Re: Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?[ Edited ]

http://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/Is-iphon​e-coming-to-a-competitor-No-coverage-at-my-home-f...

Yep you called it! 

6 of 51 (2,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 8:25:47 PM
(0)
Master

Here is to improved network performance on ATT as folks jump to what may or may not be greener pastures....

Shall we start a pool on how long it is until we hear complaints that ATT is unreasonable for charging the ETF?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Here is to improved network performance on ATT as folks jump to what may or may not be greener pastures....

Shall we start a pool on how long it is until we hear complaints that ATT is unreasonable for charging the ETF?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

7 of 51 (2,015 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 9:13:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

TerriZeee wrote:

VZ's data + text + minutes is cheaper? Really? I hadn't heard that.

TerriZeee wrote:

VZ's data + text + minutes is cheaper? Really? I hadn't heard that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 51 (2,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 4:00:43 AM
(0)
Expert

guandalf wrote:

Please let it be true - no more posts about if verizon had the iphone I would jump ship in a minte abd the start of posts like what do you mean I owe [insert amount here] to get out of my contract, ATT is a rip off and what do you mean my current iphone will not work on the verizon network.

wonder how much apple or verizon is paying ATT to allow them to bypass the excluse contract agreement that ATT and Apple have - it will probably be never known

guandalf wrote:

Please let it be true - no more posts about if verizon had the iphone I would jump ship in a minte abd the start of posts like what do you mean I owe [insert amount here] to get out of my contract, ATT is a rip off and what do you mean my current iphone will not work on the verizon network.

wonder how much apple or verizon is paying ATT to allow them to bypass the excluse contract agreement that ATT and Apple have - it will probably be never known

9 of 51 (1,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 4:04:38 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:05:50 AM

TerriZeee wrote:

Competition is already there - just not for specific phones and it has not affected it. Add to teh fact that the keynote speech by verizon at CES is praising the profit margin and response on their 10.00 / 150 MB data plan they tried recently, ecpect this to follow at verzion in the future

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE7060QM20110107

TerriZeee wrote:

Competition is already there - just not for specific phones and it has not affected it. Add to teh fact that the keynote speech by verizon at CES is praising the profit margin and response on their 10.00 / 150 MB data plan they tried recently, ecpect this to follow at verzion in the future

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE7060QM20110107

[ Edited ]
10 of 51 (1,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 10:00:08 PM
(0)
Guru

* Plays "Here it Goes Again"*

wingrider01 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

+1

Im sick of hearing it too

* Plays "Here it Goes Again"*

wingrider01 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

+1

Im sick of hearing it too

11 of 51 (1,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 6:21:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

I will definitely have to think long and hard about switching to Verizon once the iPhone 4 is shipping.  I currently use an iPhone 3GS and while I've thought about upgrading to the 4, things like other carriers getting the phones have dissuaded me from jumping to it.

In parts of my home, AT&T coverage was spotty and sometimes not working at all.  AT&T's solution for me?  They suggested that I purchase a $150 device called a MicroCell so I could have good service in my home.  Which, by the way, I did because I love my iPhone and wasn't willing to switch carriers if it meant losing it.

You throw another carrier into the mix that offers the iPhone with better CUSTOMER SERVICE and I think I may be gone.  You offer a sign on credit or equipment trade in offer and well that will seal the deal.  I love the unlimited data plan that I currently have on both the iPhone and iPad but that isn't even an offering any more.  AT&T has treated us iPhone users like captive customers for years.  You either accept our terms or you can't use the iPhone but now...?  We shall see.

I will definitely have to think long and hard about switching to Verizon once the iPhone 4 is shipping.  I currently use an iPhone 3GS and while I've thought about upgrading to the 4, things like other carriers getting the phones have dissuaded me from jumping to it.

In parts of my home, AT&T coverage was spotty and sometimes not working at all.  AT&T's solution for me?  They suggested that I purchase a $150 device called a MicroCell so I could have good service in my home.  Which, by the way, I did because I love my iPhone and wasn't willing to switch carriers if it meant losing it.

You throw another carrier into the mix that offers the iPhone with better CUSTOMER SERVICE and I think I may be gone.  You offer a sign on credit or equipment trade in offer and well that will seal the deal.  I love the unlimited data plan that I currently have on both the iPhone and iPad but that isn't even an offering any more.  AT&T has treated us iPhone users like captive customers for years.  You either accept our terms or you can't use the iPhone but now...?  We shall see.

12 of 51 (1,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 7:17:40 AM
(0)
Professor

guandalf wrote:

Who cares and why?  i am sticking with AT&T i been with them since 1997 and never had any major problems.and the service has been great... I wish Verizon Goodluck with the Iphone and this will not make me change providers......if people want to leave AT&T and to to Verizon be  sure to pay your ETF fee and sell your AT&T iphone and log out of this forum and say "HELLO" to Verzion for me.

guandalf wrote:

Who cares and why?  i am sticking with AT&T i been with them since 1997 and never had any major problems.and the service has been great... I wish Verizon Goodluck with the Iphone and this will not make me change providers......if people want to leave AT&T and to to Verizon be  sure to pay your ETF fee and sell your AT&T iphone and log out of this forum and say "HELLO" to Verzion for me.

hello!!!

13 of 51 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:10:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by bell30655 on Jan 9, 2011 at 9:11:26 AM

Actually, I won't be logging out of the community as I still have an ipad that has AT&T service.  My hope is that now that AT&T knows us iPhone users have another option they will adjust plan pricing accordingly AND just maybe they will consider that we have other options before giving us the take it or leave it attitude those of us with iPhones have dealt with for years.  When you have a monopoly you can be the big ogre but when people have a choice?  Things get better for everyone.

Keep in mind that not everyone still has an ETF fee.

Actually, I won't be logging out of the community as I still have an ipad that has AT&T service.  My hope is that now that AT&T knows us iPhone users have another option they will adjust plan pricing accordingly AND just maybe they will consider that we have other options before giving us the take it or leave it attitude those of us with iPhones have dealt with for years.  When you have a monopoly you can be the big ogre but when people have a choice?  Things get better for everyone.

Keep in mind that not everyone still has an ETF fee.

[ Edited ]
14 of 51 (1,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 9:49:49 AM
(0)
Guru

Think about it, if Verizon does get the iphone you think they don't know that millions of people are going to flood their network? They are most likely going to have an unlimited plan at first but once it become too much stress on their network they are going to be forced to set up limited plans. Every carrier has dropped calls issues and not every carrier has full coverage in every area. Not to mention what was the iphone set up for? Simultaneous Data and voice, remember the commercials... "Oh whatsup bob oh you want to go to the movies? Let me pull up the times real quick.." yeah, that's GSM technology which is supported by at&t and tmobile. Verizon has CDMA technology, so if the iphone indeed go to Verizon you would not have the ability to use voice and data simultaneously, as CDMA only supports one or the other at one time. So with Verizon it would be... "Oh whatsup bob, oh you want to go to the movies? Let me call you back real quick so I can pull up the times.."

Rofl.

Think about it, if Verizon does get the iphone you think they don't know that millions of people are going to flood their network? They are most likely going to have an unlimited plan at first but once it become too much stress on their network they are going to be forced to set up limited plans. Every carrier has dropped calls issues and not every carrier has full coverage in every area. Not to mention what was the iphone set up for? Simultaneous Data and voice, remember the commercials... "Oh whatsup bob oh you want to go to the movies? Let me pull up the times real quick.." yeah, that's GSM technology which is supported by at&t and tmobile. Verizon has CDMA technology, so if the iphone indeed go to Verizon you would not have the ability to use voice and data simultaneously, as CDMA only supports one or the other at one time. So with Verizon it would be... "Oh whatsup bob, oh you want to go to the movies? Let me call you back real quick so I can pull up the times.."

Rofl.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

15 of 51 (1,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 10:16:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Artistizzle, your thoughts about CDMA not being able to do Internet while on calls could be a factor that keeps me with AT&T. 

Artistizzle, your thoughts about CDMA not being able to do Internet while on calls could be a factor that keeps me with AT&T. 

16 of 51 (1,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 10:36:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bell30655 wrote:

That's one great thing about AT&T... Smiley Wink Not to mention the employee that stated it. Smiley Very Happy Although I do not particularly use voice/messaging/data at the same time, it's nice to know that it's a feature that's possible.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

bell30655 wrote:

That's one great thing about AT&T... Smiley Wink Not to mention the employee that stated it. Smiley Very Happy Although I do not particularly use voice/messaging/data at the same time, it's nice to know that it's a feature that's possible.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

17 of 51 (1,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 10:56:31 AM
(0)
Guru

i have friends that have AT&T and they LOVE the fact that they can be on a call and use their data at the same time. When they heard the iphone was going to verizon they were thinking about the possibility of switching, but when i told them the facts about the different technologies they changed their minds real quick. Look, heres a test I just ran for you all... I just made a call to my voicemail from my phone (I have Verizon Wireless), left the call running and tried to connect to my browser, this is the error message I just got "Cannot use Mobile Web during an active call!" :/

i have friends that have AT&T and they LOVE the fact that they can be on a call and use their data at the same time. When they heard the iphone was going to verizon they were thinking about the possibility of switching, but when i told them the facts about the different technologies they changed their minds real quick. Look, heres a test I just ran for you all... I just made a call to my voicemail from my phone (I have Verizon Wireless), left the call running and tried to connect to my browser, this is the error message I just got "Cannot use Mobile Web during an active call!" :/

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

18 of 51 (1,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 1:43:08 PM
(0)
Scholar

Those of you switching to verizon please come back and let us know how there coverage and service is.

I'll be sticking with at&t all carriers have issues. Iv'e had the iphone for 2 years and maybe had 5 or 6

dropped calls...  plus being able to use data and voice if needed seals it.

Those of you switching to verizon please come back and let us know how there coverage and service is.

I'll be sticking with at&t all carriers have issues. Iv'e had the iphone for 2 years and maybe had 5 or 6

dropped calls...  plus being able to use data and voice if needed seals it.

19 of 51 (1,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 2:14:47 PM
(0)
Explorer

I just got back from the CES in Las Vegas. While it is not uncommon to have SOME issues with coverage during a major convention in Las Vegas, my iPhone was basically a paper weight during this trip.

5 Bars? ... place call.... wait 1-2 minutes.. Call failed!  Answer incomming call, DROPPED. Dozens of times. Try to access interned... cannot connect to serve.

This is the worst experience I have ever had with AT&T.  My family has 3 lines. We were charter members since the original AT&T PCS service started in Chicago in the 90's IIRC.

I was totally unable to connect with people which was my reason for attending the convention in the first place.

I had an incoming call come in around 10PM on Wednesday. Could not answer. Tried to call.... call failed. At 4AM I get a voice mail notification! Unbelable.

I will be keeping a close eye on Verizon, and how the iPhone impacts their network.  If life is better there, I will leave after all of these years.

I just got back from the CES in Las Vegas. While it is not uncommon to have SOME issues with coverage during a major convention in Las Vegas, my iPhone was basically a paper weight during this trip.

5 Bars? ... place call.... wait 1-2 minutes.. Call failed!  Answer incomming call, DROPPED. Dozens of times. Try to access interned... cannot connect to serve.

This is the worst experience I have ever had with AT&T.  My family has 3 lines. We were charter members since the original AT&T PCS service started in Chicago in the 90's IIRC.

I was totally unable to connect with people which was my reason for attending the convention in the first place.

I had an incoming call come in around 10PM on Wednesday. Could not answer. Tried to call.... call failed. At 4AM I get a voice mail notification! Unbelable.

I will be keeping a close eye on Verizon, and how the iPhone impacts their network.  If life is better there, I will leave after all of these years.

20 of 51 (1,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 2:29:35 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by guandalf on Jan 9, 2011 at 2:31:23 PM

This is a great post, speculating that Verizon will have an unlimited data plan with the iPhone.

This is a great post, speculating that Verizon will have an unlimited data plan with the iPhone.

[ Edited ]
21 of 51 (1,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 3:02:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:26:07 PM

Verizon has announced many customer unfriendly policies lately, such as lengthening the upgrade period, getting rid of new every two and shortening the return period for devices.  Getting rid of the unlimited data plan was not one of them, however.  Why would we think that the iPhone for Verion would not have unlimited data?

Verizon has announced many customer unfriendly policies lately, such as lengthening the upgrade period, getting rid of new every two and shortening the return period for devices.  Getting rid of the unlimited data plan was not one of them, however.  Why would we think that the iPhone for Verion would not have unlimited data?

[ Edited ]
22 of 51 (1,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 3:13:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

We do however know for certain that AT&T has done away with its unlimited plan unless you already had it and don't make any changes to it.

We do however know for certain that AT&T has done away with its unlimited plan unless you already had it and don't make any changes to it.

23 of 51 (1,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 4:06:24 PM
(0)
Professor

Based on this Wall Street article, the iPhone may just have an unlimited plan. Wonder how long before AT&T brings them back. Smiley Very Happy

Based on this Wall Street article, the iPhone may just have an unlimited plan. Wonder how long before AT&T brings them back. Smiley Very Happy

24 of 51 (1,595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 4:43:50 PM
(0)
Professor

guandalf wrote:

Won't be back at AT&T .  Even if Verizon does start with an unlimited plan to hook everyone in, they'll drop it after a while as more people swap and the network load goes up and the chorus of complaints starts.

guandalf wrote:

Won't be back at AT&T .  Even if Verizon does start with an unlimited plan to hook everyone in, they'll drop it after a while as more people swap and the network load goes up and the chorus of complaints starts.

25 of 51 (1,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 8:36:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Doesn't matter, this is going to hurt AT&T, the people who didn't get an iPhone 4 because of the limited data plans are going to run to Verizon over this...maybe in the long run Verizon will have throttled data plans, but AT&T is going to regret having their exclusivity ending.

dwill05 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Doesn't matter, this is going to hurt AT&T, the people who didn't get an iPhone 4 because of the limited data plans are going to run to Verizon over this...maybe in the long run Verizon will have throttled data plans, but AT&T is going to regret having their exclusivity ending.

26 of 51 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 2:57:21 AM
(0)
Professor

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Doubt it.  They knew that one day the exclusive iPhone gravy train would end and I'm sure they are ready for it.  Also, they just locked a bunch of people into new iPhone 4 contracts and all people who jump ship will have to pay the EFT to AT&T.  Finally, the number of people who actually leave probably won't be that many as a percentage of total iPhone users.  It may be a little hit in the beginning, but after things settle out, AT&T will do just fine and they still won't bring back unhlimited data.

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Doubt it.  They knew that one day the exclusive iPhone gravy train would end and I'm sure they are ready for it.  Also, they just locked a bunch of people into new iPhone 4 contracts and all people who jump ship will have to pay the EFT to AT&T.  Finally, the number of people who actually leave probably won't be that many as a percentage of total iPhone users.  It may be a little hit in the beginning, but after things settle out, AT&T will do just fine and they still won't bring back unhlimited data.

27 of 51 (1,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:18:52 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:19:56 AM

Another hosted link. This time through Engadget.

Engadget will be hosting a live blog from this link on January 11.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. The verizon story has rolled since 2009 and hasn't happened as of yet.

Many people have insisted Verizon will carry the iPhone. Though it's only a matter of time now that the AT&T exclusive is at an end.

Another hosted link. This time through Engadget.

Engadget will be hosting a live blog from this link on January 11.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. The verizon story has rolled since 2009 and hasn't happened as of yet.

Many people have insisted Verizon will carry the iPhone. Though it's only a matter of time now that the AT&T exclusive is at an end.

[ Edited ]
28 of 51 (1,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:42:26 AM
(0)
Professor

I don't doubt that Verizon will get an iphone at some point, but my question would be what type of iphone.  Verizon's CDMA network is being replaced by LTE (the 4G network).  I don't know if Apple would want to build a phone for a dying network.  I wonder if the Verizon iphone will be an LTE device, so it would only be usable in the areas Verizon has rolled out LTE in.  Also, since at&t is also converting to LTE, this would be one phone that could be used in both markets.

I don't doubt that Verizon will get an iphone at some point, but my question would be what type of iphone.  Verizon's CDMA network is being replaced by LTE (the 4G network).  I don't know if Apple would want to build a phone for a dying network.  I wonder if the Verizon iphone will be an LTE device, so it would only be usable in the areas Verizon has rolled out LTE in.  Also, since at&t is also converting to LTE, this would be one phone that could be used in both markets.

29 of 51 (1,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 7:27:29 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 10, 2011 at 7:30:49 AM

FredW wrote:

have you seen the pricing on their LTE devices for data - talk about sticker shock. data pricing plans: $50 a month for 5GB or $80 a month for 10GB, plus $10 for each 1GB over those amounts.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9199319/Verizon_s_LTE_pricing_Good_deal_or_gouge_

FredW wrote:

have you seen the pricing on their LTE devices for data - talk about sticker shock. data pricing plans: $50 a month for 5GB or $80 a month for 10GB, plus $10 for each 1GB over those amounts.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9199319/Verizon_s_LTE_pricing_Good_deal_or_gouge_

[ Edited ]
30 of 51 (1,455 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments