Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?

Professor

Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?

According to the wall street journal, anniuncement will be made next week http://on.wsj.com/gta0Gd
Message 1 of 51 (2,841 Views)
Teacher

Re: Verizon to announce iPhone on Tuesday?

Artistizzle, your thoughts about CDMA not being able to do Internet while on calls could be a factor that keeps me with AT&T. 

Message 16 of 51 (1,915 Views)
Master

bell30655 wrote:

Artistizzle, your thoughts about CDMA not being able to do Internet while on calls could be a factor that keeps me with AT&T. 

That's one great thing about AT&T... Smiley Wink Not to mention the employee that stated it. Smiley Very Happy Although I do not particularly use voice/messaging/data at the same time, it's nice to know that it's a feature that's possible.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 17 of 51 (1,908 Views)

i have friends that have AT&T and they LOVE the fact that they can be on a call and use their data at the same time. When they heard the iphone was going to verizon they were thinking about the possibility of switching, but when i told them the facts about the different technologies they changed their minds real quick. Look, heres a test I just ran for you all... I just made a call to my voicemail from my phone (I have Verizon Wireless), left the call running and tried to connect to my browser, this is the error message I just got "Cannot use Mobile Web during an active call!" :/

Message 18 of 51 (1,899 Views)
Scholar

Those of you switching to verizon please come back and let us know how there coverage and service is.

I'll be sticking with at&t all carriers have issues. Iv'e had the iphone for 2 years and maybe had 5 or 6

dropped calls...  plus being able to use data and voice if needed seals it.

Message 19 of 51 (1,863 Views)
Explorer

I just got back from the CES in Las Vegas. While it is not uncommon to have SOME issues with coverage during a major convention in Las Vegas, my iPhone was basically a paper weight during this trip.

5 Bars? ... place call.... wait 1-2 minutes.. Call failed!  Answer incomming call, DROPPED. Dozens of times. Try to access interned... cannot connect to serve.

This is the worst experience I have ever had with AT&T.  My family has 3 lines. We were charter members since the original AT&T PCS service started in Chicago in the 90's IIRC.

I was totally unable to connect with people which was my reason for attending the convention in the first place.

I had an incoming call come in around 10PM on Wednesday. Could not answer. Tried to call.... call failed. At 4AM I get a voice mail notification! Unbelable.

I will be keeping a close eye on Verizon, and how the iPhone impacts their network.  If life is better there, I will leave after all of these years.

Message 20 of 51 (1,849 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

This is a great post, speculating that Verizon will have an unlimited data plan with the iPhone.

Message 21 of 51 (2,037 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Verizon has announced many customer unfriendly policies lately, such as lengthening the upgrade period, getting rid of new every two and shortening the return period for devices.  Getting rid of the unlimited data plan was not one of them, however.  Why would we think that the iPhone for Verion would not have unlimited data?

Message 22 of 51 (2,021 Views)
Teacher

We do however know for certain that AT&T has done away with its unlimited plan unless you already had it and don't make any changes to it.

Message 23 of 51 (2,008 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Based on this Wall Street article, the iPhone may just have an unlimited plan. Wonder how long before AT&T brings them back. Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 51 (1,989 Views)
Professor

guandalf wrote:

Based on this Wall Street article, the iPhone may just have an unlimited plan. Wonder how long before AT&T brings them back. Smiley Very Happy

Won't be back at AT&T .  Even if Verizon does start with an unlimited plan to hook everyone in, they'll drop it after a while as more people swap and the network load goes up and the chorus of complaints starts.

Message 25 of 51 (1,976 Views)

dwill05 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Won't be back at AT&T .  Even if Verizon does start with an unlimited plan to hook everyone in, they'll drop it after a while as more people swap and the network load goes up and the chorus of complaints starts.

Doesn't matter, this is going to hurt AT&T, the people who didn't get an iPhone 4 because of the limited data plans are going to run to Verizon over this...maybe in the long run Verizon will have throttled data plans, but AT&T is going to regret having their exclusivity ending.

Message 26 of 51 (1,933 Views)
Professor

IPhone3GSOwner wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Doesn't matter, this is going to hurt AT&T, the people who didn't get an iPhone 4 because of the limited data plans are going to run to Verizon over this...maybe in the long run Verizon will have throttled data plans, but AT&T is going to regret having their exclusivity ending.

Doubt it.  They knew that one day the exclusive iPhone gravy train would end and I'm sure they are ready for it.  Also, they just locked a bunch of people into new iPhone 4 contracts and all people who jump ship will have to pay the EFT to AT&T.  Finally, the number of people who actually leave probably won't be that many as a percentage of total iPhone users.  It may be a little hit in the beginning, but after things settle out, AT&T will do just fine and they still won't bring back unhlimited data.

Message 27 of 51 (1,911 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Another hosted link. This time through Engadget.

Engadget will be hosting a live blog from this link on January 11.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. The verizon story has rolled since 2009 and hasn't happened as of yet.

Many people have insisted Verizon will carry the iPhone. Though it's only a matter of time now that the AT&T exclusive is at an end.

Message 28 of 51 (1,884 Views)
Professor

I don't doubt that Verizon will get an iphone at some point, but my question would be what type of iphone.  Verizon's CDMA network is being replaced by LTE (the 4G network).  I don't know if Apple would want to build a phone for a dying network.  I wonder if the Verizon iphone will be an LTE device, so it would only be usable in the areas Verizon has rolled out LTE in.  Also, since at&t is also converting to LTE, this would be one phone that could be used in both markets.

Message 29 of 51 (1,870 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

FredW wrote:

I don't doubt that Verizon will get an iphone at some point, but my question would be what type of iphone.  Verizon's CDMA network is being replaced by LTE (the 4G network).  I don't know if Apple would want to build a phone for a dying network.  I wonder if the Verizon iphone will be an LTE device, so it would only be usable in the areas Verizon has rolled out LTE in.  Also, since at&t is also converting to LTE, this would be one phone that could be used in both markets.

have you seen the pricing on their LTE devices for data - talk about sticker shock. data pricing plans: $50 a month for 5GB or $80 a month for 10GB, plus $10 for each 1GB over those amounts.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9199319/Verizon_s_LTE_pricing_Good_deal_or_gouge_

Message 30 of 51 (1,849 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.