Verizon iPhone Officially Announced

Scholar

Verizon iPhone Officially Announced

Yea now stop talking about it and go switch if you want.

Message 1 of 58 (2,801 Views)
Guru

Re: Verizon iPhone Officially Announced

How exactly did they blow it? Everyone knew the exclusive agreement would end at some point. The flags all went up when Apple started eliminating exclusive agreements abroad so you knew very well AT&T was next. Even the CDMA version is not exclusive to Verizon. (Multi-year, Non exclusive agreement)

Message 16 of 58 (1,682 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Here's a typical conversation in a car....

"Oh cool, you've got navigation on your other company's iPhone 4."

"Yeah, isn't it the coolest thing. We think we have the best network in the nation, oh wait, my phone is ringing."

*ring, ring*

"Oh, your navigation stopped. Oh is that because you are on a voice call on CDMA? That sucks. Well, we can use my AT&T iPhone 4. I don't have that problem."

'nuff said.

Another excerpt from the launch...

Q: Experience is so paramount at Apple... GSM allows data and voice... how does that experience feel here?

Tim: I think people place different emphasis on things -- I can tell you that the number one question I've gotten is when will the iPhone work on Verizon. I couldn't be happier to tell people that. They will make those sorts of tradeoffs.

Message 17 of 58 (1,668 Views)
Scholar

YUP!

Message 18 of 58 (1,662 Views)
Professor

How did AT&T blow it? They got millions of customers over the last 3 years and they just locked a bunch if people into new contracts with a hefty EFT.
Message 19 of 58 (1,640 Views)
Teacher

Question: Will we be able to FaceTime with people who are on the Verizon iPhones?
Message 20 of 58 (1,606 Views)
Guru

They should be able to unless Verizon phones restrict it to verizon to verizon only. But i do not see Apple allowing them to do that.

Another question would be now. With the Verizon iPhone 4 having built in WiFi hotspot. Will the iPhone 5 for AT&T have the same feature?

Message 21 of 58 (1,769 Views)
Master

Neihn wrote:

"I want to spend a minute on how robust our network is. We have designed this network for customers to have an optimum experience. We have been drive testing this on our network. We're now into the thousands of devices, and we could not be more pleased."  Dan Dee - Verizon Wireless

I bet AT&T thought the same thing until they felt the crushing blow of MILLIONS of devices.

They may not get crushed as great becasue each iPhone will only be ONE connection to the network.  CDMA only allows voice OR data.  ATT allows voice AND data.  Either way, ATT service will improve with less load for those who think it is greener on the other side. 

Also, their Hot SPOT app that is preinstalled.  Can this be deleted or is this the start of Verizon adding their own suposedly value added apps that cannot be removed?  See their Blackberry's that have all sorts of place holder apps that cannot easily be removed.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 22 of 58 (1,757 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

According to Engadget its not a App instlaled. its a actual setting in the Apple Settings menu. They are reporting the Verizon iphone is running iOS 4.2.5 and they say the hotspot feature may be activated for AT&T iphones in the next update for them.

Engadget also says there is no Verizon bloatware installed. and No verizon branding anywhere on the device. sticking to Apples long time policy of disallowing branding other then their own.

Message 23 of 58 (1,745 Views)
Professor

Have they officially announced the price of the data plan? I find it difficult to believe that they are going to keep unlimited data since it has hot spot capability. I can see 4 or 5 people tethering laptops for each iPhone overloading the network quickly. Plus aren't Verizons MiFi and iPad plan tiered? I can't see the iPhone being different.
Message 24 of 58 (1,745 Views)
Guru

No iPhone data plans announced yet.

Message 25 of 58 (1,733 Views)
Scholar

I bet the hotspot will be priced like the rest....an EXTRA $35 for 3GB on top of the data plan

Message 26 of 58 (1,733 Views)
ACE - Master

MikeeV9 wrote:
Question: Will we be able to FaceTime with people who are on the Verizon iPhones?

Since FaceTime only works over wifi, I don't see why not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 58 (1,728 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

MikeeV9 wrote:

Last I saw facetime is wireless only unless the phone is hacked - not sure if it has changed because never saw a use for it. So yes as long as you are both on wifi it should work - if it can work over the cellular data network then no - Verizon network cannot do voice and data at the same time since it is CDMA

Message 28 of 58 (1,721 Views)
Guru

Facetime is pure data it does not use the voice network

Message 29 of 58 (1,692 Views)
Scholar

Uh oh, Engadget is reporting that the buttons have moved slightly because of the antenna design which means all current cases that incorporate the buttons, wont work with your new phone....too bad for you switchers, great news for the the case manufacturers....if this is indeed the case as Engadget reports it 

Message 30 of 58 (1,682 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support