Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 11, 2011
8:09:33 AM
View profile
Verizon iPhone Officially Announced

Yea now stop talking about it and go switch if you want.

Yea now stop talking about it and go switch if you want.

Verizon iPhone Officially Announced

57 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(57)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:27:53 AM
(0)
Expert

Neihn wrote:

Facetime is pure data it does not use the voice network

actually it uses wifi only so it is a mute point unless they hack the phone

Neihn wrote:

Re: Verizon iPhone Officially Announced

31 of 58 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:28:39 AM
(0)
Guru

kw83028 wrote:

Uh oh, Engadget is reporting that the buttons have moved slightly because of the antenna design which means all current cases that incorporate the buttons, wont work with your new phone....too bad for you switchers, great news for the the case manufacturers....if this is indeed the case as Engadget reports it 

Engadget didnt have to report that. It was very clear in the picture of the phone Verizon had up during the announcement. The left side antena break moved from the top left by headphone jack to the top left above the mute switch so they buttons were moved down.

kw83028 wrote:

Uh oh, Engadget is reporting that the buttons have moved slightly because of the antenna design which means all current cases that incorporate the buttons, wont work with your new phone....too bad for you switchers, great news for the the case manufacturers....if this is indeed the case as Engadget reports it 

Engadget didnt have to report that. It was very clear in the picture of the phone Verizon had up during the announcement. The left side antena break moved from the top left by headphone jack to the top left above the mute switch so they buttons were moved down.

32 of 58 (1,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:34:22 AM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

Neihn wrote:

"if it can work over the cellular data network then no - Verizon network cannot do voice and data at the same time since it is CDMA"

And that statement was incorrect. Facetime is data only reguardless if its hacked and being used on a cell data network or wifi. So it would still work on the verizon data network if hacked or if Verizon allows Facetime via cell network.

wingrider01 wrote:

Neihn wrote:

"if it can work over the cellular data network then no - Verizon network cannot do voice and data at the same time since it is CDMA"

And that statement was incorrect. Facetime is data only reguardless if its hacked and being used on a cell data network or wifi. So it would still work on the verizon data network if hacked or if Verizon allows Facetime via cell network.

33 of 58 (1,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:45:09 AM
(0)
Guru
So, by moving the bands on the sides and top of the iPhone, is that an admission by Apple that it was a problem? I never really had a prob with it. Just putting it out there.
So, by moving the bands on the sides and top of the iPhone, is that an admission by Apple that it was a problem? I never really had a prob with it. Just putting it out there.

34 of 58 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:47:03 AM
(0)
Guru

They said the changes to the band was made due to CDMA antenna design. Read into it what you want.

They said the changes to the band was made due to CDMA antenna design. Read into it what you want.

35 of 58 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:47:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

davidusr wrote:

They said that it was because of the CDMA chip required a different configuration......BUT, who knows....we'll see if and when the VZW boards are cluttered with antenna issue problems like it was here.

davidusr wrote:

They said that it was because of the CDMA chip required a different configuration......BUT, who knows....we'll see if and when the VZW boards are cluttered with antenna issue problems like it was here.

36 of 58 (1,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 9:48:15 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by kw83028 on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:48:30 AM

I'm gonna quit, Neihn, LOL, you are a faster typer than me

I'm gonna quit, Neihn, LOL, you are a faster typer than me

[ Edited ]
37 of 58 (1,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:19:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

seeya Verizon folks.  I can't wait to see all the complaints in the tech blgos about how the Verizon network can't handle the load bla bla...  Heck I can't even make a call on Verizon where I live.

seeya Verizon folks.  I can't wait to see all the complaints in the tech blgos about how the Verizon network can't handle the load bla bla...  Heck I can't even make a call on Verizon where I live.

38 of 58 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:40:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

guzinta_00 wrote:

Interesting comment.  AT&T's coverage stinks now and isn't getting much better.

Time to calculate the early termination fee.

guzinta_00 wrote:

39 of 58 (939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:41:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

wireless-user wrote:

guzinta_00 wrote:

I hope it isn't too much... Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

wireless-user wrote:

guzinta_00 wrote:

I hope it isn't too much... Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

40 of 58 (929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:46:36 AM
(0)
Guru
Then you get to buy another iPhone from Verizon. Plus, 20 months before your eligible for an upgrade. But, if you have an i4, that will bring a good chunk of change on eBay...may even cover the ETF fee and price of the new iPhone.
Then you get to buy another iPhone from Verizon. Plus, 20 months before your eligible for an upgrade. But, if you have an i4, that will bring a good chunk of change on eBay...may even cover the ETF fee and price of the new iPhone.

41 of 58 (1,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:48:45 AM
(0)
Expert

davidusr wrote:

suspect the sell value of a att iphone is going to end up in the basement.

don;t forget the other change the is rumored for verizon - buyers remorse cut to 14 days

davidusr wrote:

suspect the sell value of a att iphone is going to end up in the basement.

don;t forget the other change the is rumored for verizon - buyers remorse cut to 14 days

42 of 58 (1,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:53:15 AM
(0)
Guru
I was thinking the same thing, but if they hurry...

Oh yeaaaa...only get 14 days now to try it out. Should be plenty of time...

43 of 58 (1,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 11:05:05 AM
(0)
Expert

davidusr wrote:

suspect it is to late already - they would have had to sell it before the announcement.

davidusr wrote:

suspect it is to late already - they would have had to sell it before the announcement.

44 of 58 (1,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 7:38:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

The grass always looks greener on the other side... till you get there.

The grass always looks greener on the other side... till you get there.

45 of 58 (1,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 7:49:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

They aren't that stupid. They are offering a 3GS for $49 with a 2-year contract. No, it's not an iPhone 4, but it's going to lock a lot of people into AT&T (like me) who find a 3GS just fine for their needs. Verizon only offers the iPhone 4, and you can't just take your current phone over to the Verizon network. Pricing the same as for an iPhone 4 on AT&T

Any way you look at it, this is a win/win for AT&T. 

They aren't that stupid. They are offering a 3GS for $49 with a 2-year contract. No, it's not an iPhone 4, but it's going to lock a lot of people into AT&T (like me) who find a 3GS just fine for their needs. Verizon only offers the iPhone 4, and you can't just take your current phone over to the Verizon network. Pricing the same as for an iPhone 4 on AT&T

46 of 58 (1,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 8:36:13 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:40:00 PM

smalcom wrote:

Well, any way except the way of considering all the hundreds of millions of AT&T customers who've wanted to leave AT&T for decades, but had no way to do so until VZW announced they would carry the iPhone.  When you look at it that way, it's not a win.

Oh, wait.  I think I made a couple of small errors there.  For "hundreds of millions," read "zero," and strike out the sentence, "When you look at it that way, it's not a win."  The option to leave AT&T (with an ETF depending on your current contract or out-of-contract status), go to VZW, and purchase a fully capable smartphone has always been there.  That option hasn't changed at all.  That's what I've never understood about this mass exodus that some people keep saying will happen.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

smalcom wrote:

Well, any way except the way of considering all the hundreds of millions of AT&T customers who've wanted to leave AT&T for decades, but had no way to do so until VZW announced they would carry the iPhone.  When you look at it that way, it's not a win.

Oh, wait.  I think I made a couple of small errors there.  For "hundreds of millions," read "zero," and strike out the sentence, "When you look at it that way, it's not a win."  The option to leave AT&T (with an ETF depending on your current contract or out-of-contract status), go to VZW, and purchase a fully capable smartphone has always been there.  That option hasn't changed at all.  That's what I've never understood about this mass exodus that some people keep saying will happen.

[ Edited ]
47 of 58 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 8:44:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Exactly Eric!

Just because VZW had iP4 now doesn't change what you'd have to do to switch to any other company... including T-mo, Sprint and UsCell. I really don't think there is going to be that many people who leave and go to VZW...

and I still say... The grass always looks greener on the other side... till you get there.

Exactly Eric!

Just because VZW had iP4 now doesn't change what you'd have to do to switch to any other company... including T-mo, Sprint and UsCell. I really don't think there is going to be that many people who leave and go to VZW...

and I still say... The grass always looks greener on the other side... till you get there.

48 of 58 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2011 10:59:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

My hope is that now AT&T will begin to treat us iPhone users as customers not captives.  Having a monopoly on something always tends to lead to that.  Then again competition is usually the way to solve it.  One hesitation for me on switching will be the loss of being able to surf the net while talking on the phone.  In my opinion, from my dealings with AT&T, I have to say that I received unfriendly service that I did not experience when I was with Sprint previously.

Wanting to have an iPhone rather than a BlackBerry I tolerated this.  Now, there is another player in the market.  If many people start switching maybe, just maybe we could see some attempts to keep the customers happy.  Wouldn't it be neat if all cell phone providers felt that their product was so good that they did not feel the need to lock subscribers in with contracts and ETFs?  

Of course, when that happens we'll all join hands and sing, Kumbaya

My hope is that now AT&T will begin to treat us iPhone users as customers not captives.  Having a monopoly on something always tends to lead to that.  Then again competition is usually the way to solve it.  One hesitation for me on switching will be the loss of being able to surf the net while talking on the phone.  In my opinion, from my dealings with AT&T, I have to say that I received unfriendly service that I did not experience when I was with Sprint previously.

Wanting to have an iPhone rather than a BlackBerry I tolerated this.  Now, there is another player in the market.  If many people start switching maybe, just maybe we could see some attempts to keep the customers happy.  Wouldn't it be neat if all cell phone providers felt that their product was so good that they did not feel the need to lock subscribers in with contracts and ETFs?  

49 of 58 (1,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 3:56:52 AM
(0)
Expert

bell30655 wrote:

then you get to pay full retail price for the phone instead of having the carrier subsidize 80 percent of the phone cost. As a matter of fact this ability is already there - just pay the full price for the phone and you have no contract or etf if you want to leave - but not to many people want to pay 600-800 for a cell phone

bell30655 wrote:

then you get to pay full retail price for the phone instead of having the carrier subsidize 80 percent of the phone cost. As a matter of fact this ability is already there - just pay the full price for the phone and you have no contract or etf if you want to leave - but not to many people want to pay 600-800 for a cell phone

50 of 58 (981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 4:15:51 AM
(0)
Scholar

this whole thing was clear as day when the iphone 4 came out and at&t started allowing people to early upgrade their 3gs. i wonder how many people thought that this was just at&t 'being nice'. i called it then and was told how 'rumors came out all the time about the verizon iphone', 'there is an exclusivity contract', blah, blah. this should be no surprise to anyone. what i will find amusing is the people who will jump on the iphone 4 now only to complain when the iphone 5 comes out in 6 months that they feel cheated and should be able to trade their 4 back in for a 5. 

on top of that, there is not going to be a huge hit to the verizon network like at&t experienced when they got the iphone. people wanted the phone, they were forced into the service. for most these days, they are perfectly happy with at&t and their current phone. there will be a few that jump ship and likely a good chunk of existing verizon customers that will upgrade. but from reading the verizon forums they have similar problems to at&t, so the service will not attract people like some disgruntled customers seem to think. 

only time will tell, but i don't expect much to change with at&t or verizon. best case scenario, hordes leave at&t, freeing up the network for me and others who stay and verizon handles it seamlessly. everyone is happy and we can do the kumbaya thing referenced above via facetime. 

this whole thing was clear as day when the iphone 4 came out and at&t started allowing people to early upgrade their 3gs. i wonder how many people thought that this was just at&t 'being nice'. i called it then and was told how 'rumors came out all the time about the verizon iphone', 'there is an exclusivity contract', blah, blah. this should be no surprise to anyone. what i will find amusing is the people who will jump on the iphone 4 now only to complain when the iphone 5 comes out in 6 months that they feel cheated and should be able to trade their 4 back in for a 5. 

on top of that, there is not going to be a huge hit to the verizon network like at&t experienced when they got the iphone. people wanted the phone, they were forced into the service. for most these days, they are perfectly happy with at&t and their current phone. there will be a few that jump ship and likely a good chunk of existing verizon customers that will upgrade. but from reading the verizon forums they have similar problems to at&t, so the service will not attract people like some disgruntled customers seem to think. 

only time will tell, but i don't expect much to change with at&t or verizon. best case scenario, hordes leave at&t, freeing up the network for me and others who stay and verizon handles it seamlessly. everyone is happy and we can do the kumbaya thing referenced above via facetime. 

51 of 58 (1,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 7:18:05 AM
(0)
Guru

browski wrote:
this whole thing was clear as day when the iphone 4 came out and at&t started allowing people to early upgrade their 3gs. i wonder how many people thought that this was just at&t 'being nice'. i called it then

Uhh that was bad example. AT&T did the exact same early upgrades for iPhone 3G users when the 3GS was released as well. My iphone 4 I bought when the iPhone 4 was released is already set for a June 2011 upgrade as well.

browski wrote:
this whole thing was clear as day when the iphone 4 came out and at&t started allowing people to early upgrade their 3gs. i wonder how many people thought that this was just at&t 'being nice'. i called it then

Uhh that was bad example. AT&T did the exact same early upgrades for iPhone 3G users when the 3GS was released as well. My iphone 4 I bought when the iPhone 4 was released is already set for a June 2011 upgrade as well.

52 of 58 (1,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:12:18 AM
(0)
Guru

IMHO--I don't think there will be this "mass exodus" of AT&T (iPhone) users switching over to VZW; sure there will be quite a few--these will be folks who are either not under contract or close to completing their 2-year commitment.  The majority of VZW iPhone sales will be to existing VZW customers and non-AT&T mobile subscribers (e.g., Sprint and T-Mobile) looking to switch over.

I don't get the "grass ain't always greener"-type comments hurled towards folks abandoning AT&T for VZW--isn't that we tell folks who complain about how they are not satisfied with their current provider--namely, to just go switch providers?  It's almost as if folks who make those kind of comments are almost wishing--if not hoping--that such defectors find out that things aren't necessarily better elsewhere.  Why not simply wish them luck and leave it at that?

IMHO--I don't think there will be this "mass exodus" of AT&T (iPhone) users switching over to VZW; sure there will be quite a few--these will be folks who are either not under contract or close to completing their 2-year commitment.  The majority of VZW iPhone sales will be to existing VZW customers and non-AT&T mobile subscribers (e.g., Sprint and T-Mobile) looking to switch over.

I don't get the "grass ain't always greener"-type comments hurled towards folks abandoning AT&T for VZW--isn't that we tell folks who complain about how they are not satisfied with their current provider--namely, to just go switch providers?  It's almost as if folks who make those kind of comments are almost wishing--if not hoping--that such defectors find out that things aren't necessarily better elsewhere.  Why not simply wish them luck and leave it at that?

53 of 58 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:49:31 AM
(0)
Guru

54 of 58 (1,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:52:30 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Thank you all for your participation; please lets make sure that we stay on topic. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Thank you all for your participation; please lets make sure that we stay on topic. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

55 of 58 (1,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 2:14:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

I beg to differ, the att iphone has good resale value because it's a GSM world phone. Verizon iphone not so much.

I beg to differ, the att iphone has good resale value because it's a GSM world phone. Verizon iphone not so much.

56 of 58 (1,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 2:39:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

That's only one test. Besides, A Lot of people at Cnet are pro Android. I would love to see a test done by someone that's not biased.

That's only one test. Besides, A Lot of people at Cnet are pro Android. I would love to see a test done by someone that's not biased.

57 of 58 (1,129 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:12:36 AM
(0)
Guru

Although they may be pro android, they still did a test. I agree it is just one test, but at&t says they are the faster network. Just sayin'

kevjazzele wrote:

Although they may be pro android, they still did a test. I agree it is just one test, but at&t says they are the faster network. Just sayin'

kevjazzele wrote:

58 of 58 (1,043 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments