Verizon iPhone 4s Unlock Policy

Verizon iPhone 4s Unlock Policy

Verizon's official policy on unlocking the iPhone 4s sourced from them.   Notice, they include a person's name and direct phone number which I have x'd out.

Goodbye AT&T, I'll soon be leaving after 10 years.

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. My name  is XXX and I received your email today regarding the option to unlock your iPhone since you travel International.

Having the ability to use your phone when you travel is very important and I have provided our unlock guidelines below. We look forward to having you as a customer and I hope the information I have provided below will assist you. 

In order to unlock your iPhone 4s the device must be active on our network for at least 60 days. Below I have provided additional information regarding the requirements to unlock a device with Verizon Wireless and the Terms and Conditions. 

Once your device is active for 60 days you can follow the steps below to unlock the iPhone 4s.

**How to Unlock a Device** 

To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in 'GSM Mode', Your Global Phone must first be unlocked by entering a numerical code (Unlock Code) into the phone.

In order to unlock your device you will need to contact our Global Support Department at 800-711-8300 for an unlock code and will have to review the Terms and Conditions listed below.

Once unlocked, you may insert another wireless carrier's SIM Card (Other SIM Card) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that carrier.

Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions: 

1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIMCards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.

2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.

3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.

4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement and Calling Plan. 

I hope the information I have provided to you in regards to our unlock guidelines has been helpful.

Please do not hesitate to reply to this email or contact me directly at XXX.XXX.XXXX if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am in the office Monday-Friday 11am-8pm EST.

Alternatively, you may contact our Customer Service Team at 800-922-0204, 7 days a week from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST with any additional concerns. 

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. 

Message 1 of 71 (26,852 Views)
Professor

Re: Verizon iPhone 4s Unlock Policy

i was just saying. we now know Verizon will unlock a iphone 4s, but AT&T will not do so. why should i care? i do not need a unlocked iphone.

Message 61 of 71 (2,553 Views)

flyprivate wrote:
OK, who has more? ATT with 15 cities or Verizon with most of the population centers in the country already up and running? Simply look at the coverage maps and you can hang your head in shame for parsing words rather than making substantively accurate statements here.

Here's what I know for sure.

I have a 2nd summer home in the mountains of a western state.  AT&T coverage there is spotty at best, Edge when in range, voice ina and out. This is a town with 8,000 people.

Verizon and Sprint have full voice and data coverage at that location, AT&T is light years away from improving the situation there.

I have friends who recently switched to Verizon, they travel extensively for work and play, they report Verizon has superior service in the areas they frequent as compared to AT&T.

I guess it all depends on where you are.

Now, I'm sure some fan boy will say "switch if you don't like AT&T".  This forum is a great place to exchange ideas and clarify misunderstandings.

Any civil discussion is a worthwhile endeavor.

Message 62 of 71 (2,521 Views)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

flyprivate wrote:
OK, who has more? ATT with 15 cities or Verizon with most of the population centers in the country already up and running? Simply look at the coverage maps and you can hang your head in shame for parsing words rather than making substantively accurate statements here.

Here's what I know for sure.

I have a 2nd summer home in the mountains of a western state.  AT&T coverage there is spotty at best, Edge when in range, voice ina and out. This is a town with 8,000 people.

Verizon and Sprint have full voice and data coverage at that location, AT&T is light years away from improving the situation there.

I have friends who recently switched to Verizon, they travel extensively for work and play, they report Verizon has superior service in the areas they frequent as compared to AT&T.

I guess it all depends on where you are.

Now, I'm sure some fan boy will say "switch if you don't like AT&T".  This forum is a great place to exchange ideas and clarify misunderstandings.

Any civil discussion is a worthwhile endeavor.

Have realized decades ago that no wireless company has 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of the area they claim to cover, which is why for business I carry a phone from each of the carriers that cover the areas I travel in, when we issue phones to employees they get the carrier that works the best in their area, if they travel outside of that area and the areas they travel to have poor coverage from the issued phone, they get another phone from teh carrier that has the best services. If I travel to North Dakota I use verizon phones, att has spotty reliablity there, if I travel to areas of colorado there is no way I will use anything but ATT there, verizon and sprint has next to non-existant coverage in the smaller area. have a few dead spots in the area I live in that no matter what carrier you are with if you pass through these area's your call will drop, does not matter who's serfvice you are using.

It not a "fanboi" (or should it be spelled fanboy and what happens if the responder is female?), anyway that is a digression - as I said it is a business response, not really sure why you would want to deal with a company you are not happy with, I know I don't, I move my business from the company I dislike to a different one as soon as I can. simple logic really.

Message 63 of 71 (2,508 Views)

From the Verizon Wireless Community:

2. Insert a foreign SIM into the SIM card slot on the side of your phone (only required to confirm that the unlock is successful.)

Another poster goes on to say "global support person told me that it would NOT work with an at&t sim ... though the first ones that i spoke with told me that it would .. i DO know that so far it's certainly not working with my at&t sim."

So no, an unlocked Verizon iPhone CANNOT be used witha domestic US GSM carrier. The firmware of the phone defaults to CDMA when in the United States, and blocks 

flyprivate wrote:

The only thing right you have posted is Apple makes only one 4S. However, you are dead wrong about everything else you post.

For example, an AT&T iPhone 4S has its CDMA section permanently disabled by Apple when designated for AT&T but obviously, a Verizon 4S does not. That's why Apple states that the AT&T version cannot be used on any CDMA system but the Verizon can be, as well as a GSM network when unlocked.

{please keep it courteous} This info is all available at the respective manufacturer/carrier websites. 

Message 64 of 71 (2,491 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:
Have realized decades ago that no wireless company has 100 percent coverage in 100 percent of the area they claim to cover, which is why for business I carry a phone from each of the carriers that cover the areas I travel in, when we issue phones to employees they get the carrier that works the best in their area, if they travel outside of that area and the areas they travel to have poor coverage from the issued phone, they get another phone from teh carrier that has the best services. If I travel to North Dakota I use verizon phones, att has spotty reliablity there, if I travel to areas of colorado there is no way I will use anything but ATT there, verizon and sprint has next to non-existant coverage in the smaller area. have a few dead spots in the area I live in that no matter what carrier you are with if you pass through these area's your call will drop, does not matter who's serfvice you are using.

Whatever happened to the "More Bars Everywhere" campaign.

I spend a lot of time in Colorado during the summer, once outside of the major cities AT&T stinks. And even in a few of the cities AT&T is marginal.

Yep, can carry multiple phones too, but who wants to be that connected,  that's why I have people working for me, let them handle the emergencies.

Message 65 of 71 (2,463 Views)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I spend a lot of time in Colorado during the summer, once outside of the major cities AT&T stinks. And even in a few of the cities AT&T is marginal.

Yep, can carry multiple phones too, but who wants to be that connected,  that's why I have people working for me, let them handle the emergencies.

I do, I trust my people but prefer to keep 100 percent informed in what is going on. Even have a irridium for when I travel to areas that do not have any cell service.

Not sure what you consider "major cities" but verizon and sprint are the pits in Beaver Creek and I spend a lot of time there

Message 66 of 71 (2,424 Views)
ACE - Master

For all the people excited about the prospect of Verizon or Sprint unlocking an iPhone 4s, you might want to read this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2011/12/22/how-u-s-carriers-fool-you-into-thinking-your-...
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 67 of 71 (2,416 Views)

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I do, I trust my people but prefer to keep 100 percent informed in what is going on. Even have a irridium for when I travel to areas that do not have any cell service.

Not sure what you consider "major cities" but verizon and sprint are the pits in Beaver Creek and I spend a lot of time there

Well, Beaver Creek isn't exactly a major city.  How about Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, even Pueblo would qualify.

But I've had reasonable AT&T coverage in Vail, but once too far off I-70 AT&T coverage is gone.

Message 68 of 71 (2,410 Views)

sandblaster wrote:
For all the people excited about the prospect of Verizon or Sprint unlocking an iPhone 4s, you might want to read this article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2011/12/22/how-u-s-carriers-fool-you-into-thinking-your-...

This article is not saying anything new.

Verizon is clear about the unlocked iPhone 4S (GSM) will only work with foreign SIMs on GSM networks.

For many international travelers unlocking the GSM side is acceptable. For those who want to use another GSM provider in the USA, you're out of luck, buy a Factory Unlocked handset..

Of course, Apple would love to sell you a Factory unlocked GSM iPhone because they get full price and the obscene profit that Apple devices tend to drag along.

This would all be so simple if AT&T would change their policy, but that isn't about to happen.

Message 69 of 71 (2,407 Views)
Guru

wireless-user wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

Verizon is clear about the unlocked iPhone 4S (GSM) will only work with foreign SIMs on GSM networks.

For many international travelers unlocking the GSM side is acceptable. For those who want to use another GSM provider in the USA, you're out of luck, buy a Factory Unlocked handset..

Of course, Apple would love to sell you a Factory unlocked GSM iPhone because they get full price and the obscene profit that Apple devices tend to drag along.

This would all be so simple if AT&T would change their policy, but that isn't about to happen.

FWIW--the author of that article also goes on to say that, in his opinion, the iPhone unlock policy offered by the major U.S. wireless carriers "is a scam"...and oh BTW--that opinion isn't saying anything new either--LOL!  It should be noted that he was not singling out just VZW and Sprint when he made that comment... Smiley Wink

Message 70 of 71 (2,351 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

FWIW--the author of that article also goes on to say that, in his opinion, the iPhone unlock policy offered by the major U.S. wireless carriers "is a scam"...and oh BTW--that opinion isn't saying anything new either--LOL!  It should be noted that he was not singling out just VZW and Sprint when he made that comment... Smiley Wink

But anybody who disagrees with any policy by any company claims that the policy is a scam simply becasue they don;t agree with it and thing they should get what they want.

Message 71 of 71 (2,314 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.