Helpful Links

Verizon iPhone 4s Unlock Policy

Verizon iPhone 4s Unlock Policy

Verizon's official policy on unlocking the iPhone 4s sourced from them.   Notice, they include a person's name and direct phone number which I have x'd out.

Goodbye AT&T, I'll soon be leaving after 10 years.

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless. My name  is XXX and I received your email today regarding the option to unlock your iPhone since you travel International.

Having the ability to use your phone when you travel is very important and I have provided our unlock guidelines below. We look forward to having you as a customer and I hope the information I have provided below will assist you. 

In order to unlock your iPhone 4s the device must be active on our network for at least 60 days. Below I have provided additional information regarding the requirements to unlock a device with Verizon Wireless and the Terms and Conditions. 

Once your device is active for 60 days you can follow the steps below to unlock the iPhone 4s.

**How to Unlock a Device** 

To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in 'GSM Mode', Your Global Phone must first be unlocked by entering a numerical code (Unlock Code) into the phone.

In order to unlock your device you will need to contact our Global Support Department at 800-711-8300 for an unlock code and will have to review the Terms and Conditions listed below.

Once unlocked, you may insert another wireless carrier's SIM Card (Other SIM Card) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that carrier.

Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions: 

1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIMCards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.

2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.

3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.

4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement and Calling Plan. 

I hope the information I have provided to you in regards to our unlock guidelines has been helpful.

Please do not hesitate to reply to this email or contact me directly at XXX.XXX.XXXX if you have any additional questions or concerns. I am in the office Monday-Friday 11am-8pm EST.

Alternatively, you may contact our Customer Service Team at 800-922-0204, 7 days a week from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST with any additional concerns. 

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. 

Message 1 of 71
Guru

Re: Verizon iPhone 4s Unlock Policy

dwill05 wrote:
If someone wants to leave AT&T because another carrier offers something better for their needs, then they should go. It's as simple as that. Coming here with a big goodbye post about how superior things are where they are going really is meaningless as no one here cares whether someone else leaves. Similarly, posts that in effect say "you'll be sorry" or disagreeing with their reasons simply because they don't have the same needs as the person leaving are also meaningless.

If someone wants to leave, then just go. Hope it works out for you.

Agreed!  And given that this is an AT&T forum, you'd think that, as a whole, the pro-AT&T forum members would take the high road and wish them luck, no matter what some of those folks who felt the need to disparage AT&T on the way out had to say...but no, I guess some of these forum members apparently rather enjoy giving off parting shots as well.  You know, comments like "the grass isn't always greener", or "don't let the door kick you on the way out", or even the clearly sarcastic "buh-bye" type posts.  I mean, c'mon--"Buh-bye"?

Message 31 of 71
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

dwill05 wrote:
If someone wants to leave AT&T because another carrier offers something better for their needs, then they should go. It's as simple as that. Coming here with a big goodbye post about how superior things are where they are going really is meaningless as no one here cares whether someone else leaves. Similarly, posts that in effect say "you'll be sorry" or disagreeing with their reasons simply because they don't have the same needs as the person leaving are also meaningless.

If someone wants to leave, then just go. Hope it works out for you.

The purpose of my posting that Verizon e-mail was to clear up a lot of mis-information, opinions and other nonsense being communicated about Verizon's policy.  Facts are always better than opinions.

As usual, the AT&T fan boys then change the subject to the usual   "you'll be sorry" nonsense.

I don't recall " Coming here with a big goodbye post",  it would seem that the above noted fan boys started that line of thought.

clear up what misunderstanding? Sorry if you had the misunderstanding but it did not seem to be the all the posters that had it. THe verizon policy that has been posted here is exactly what your email claims - they unlock for international use only on a GSM network, did not seem to be any misunderstanding about that policy here.

And to clear up your misunderstanding the only "fan boy" that fits me is one for business and profit, now that I will admit to. Will look for you over on the verizon forums, are you using the same handle?

As far as unlocking previous Iphones you still misunderstand, if att ever does that I will be the first one in line with every iphone that I have purchased over the years for every one of my developers and employee needs to get them unlocked then dump them on fleabay for a profit, from the original Iphone to the Iphone 4S, I just don;t come and complain that they won't do it becasue I understand corporate polciy and the need for it

Message 32 of 71
Contributor

I think you are missing some critical points.
1. May be you accept this situation as it is not impacting you. There are other customers loyal to ar&t for many years that are suffering from that they can switch to local sim when traveling international. In some cases, like AT&T policy, some corporates give their traveling employee local sim for the convenient of their customers. Requiring the person to switch the sim.
2. AT&T does unlock phones; just not the iPhone.. Why do the iPhone should the iPhone community should suffer. Moreover, when other providers do unlock.
3. One can purchase an unlock phone without a contract or by sues sunsedised phone and pay it I'm full during the term of the contact (AT&T is not losing money over such transaction). So at the end of your contract you paid for an unlock phone. Why not to unlock it even then. At least as such, you can use it as second phone. Not to say that it smalles, unfair business, at best.

Any how, by now I know a few people who switched and are very happy with Verizon. For me this is ver sad to hear. AT&T unfortunately support that trend with their policy.
Message 33 of 71
Scholar

That's good news for you
I've seen ppl in the uk sell Verizon iPhones
In buckets they won't work here CDMA isn't supported
Only gsm works here and AT&T know it lol
Message 34 of 71
Highlighted
Professor

The relevant parts of this post are:

VZ unlockes the GSM side of the VZ iP4 after 60 days, for use with non-US SIMs.

So, you can use a local GSM sim in whatever international destination you are at, in a VZ iphone4, after two months.

This is great news for people who do a lot of international travel without getting reimbursed for cell phone usage while traveling.

Message 35 of 71
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

tilteddan13 wrote:

The 4S has both CDMA and GSM radios in it.

But does AT&T have iPhones on a CDMA network?

Probably not, so AT&T unlocking  the CDMA side (if it's locked to begin with) seems to be a non starter.

hmm - have you seen verizon offer to unlock the cdma side of the iphone? Didn;t think so

illogical comment about AT&T having CDMA iphones, of course they don;t since they don;t use that cellualr technology, kind of useless to offer phones that absolutely cannot be attached to their network isn't it?

How is your verizon service with the phone now that you switched?

How is the comment illogical?  All of the iPhones 4S sold by carriers are the same phone, with both GSM and CDMA radios. With the iPhone 4S, Apple only made one phone to be offered by the carriers.  Apple made a different, GSM only iPhone 4S, sold as unlocked and only by Apple.

What may be illogical is suggesting that the CDMA portion of the iPhone needs to be unlocked.  CDMA phones are not "locked" in the same way that GSM phones are SIM locked.  CDMA phones are flashed to work on the appropriate network.  According to some sites, Cricket has flashed some iPhones 4 to work on their network,  I would think that the same could be done for the iPhone 4S from any carrier.

Message 36 of 71
Expert

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

tilteddan13 wrote:

The 4S has both CDMA and GSM radios in it.

But does AT&T have iPhones on a CDMA network?

Probably not, so AT&T unlocking  the CDMA side (if it's locked to begin with) seems to be a non starter.

hmm - have you seen verizon offer to unlock the cdma side of the iphone? Didn;t think so

illogical comment about AT&T having CDMA iphones, of course they don;t since they don;t use that cellualr technology, kind of useless to offer phones that absolutely cannot be attached to their network isn't it?

How is your verizon service with the phone now that you switched?

How is the comment illogical?  All of the iPhones 4S sold by carriers are the same phone, with both GSM and CDMA radios. With the iPhone 4S, Apple only made one phone to be offered by the carriers.  Apple made a different, GSM only iPhone 4S, sold as unlocked and only by Apple.

What may be illogical is suggesting that the CDMA portion of the iPhone needs to be unlocked.  CDMA phones are not "locked" in the same way that GSM phones are SIM locked.  CDMA phones are flashed to work on the appropriate network.  According to some sites, Cricket has flashed some iPhones 4 to work on their network,  I would think that the same could be done for the iPhone 4S from any carrier.

wonder how long that will stay around - maybe about as long as that website did that was selling "valid" unlock codes for the ATT Iphone.

Who pays for the phone if it gets trashed in doing this?

bottom line - that is verizon's policy, it has no bearing on att's policy people need to deal with it - att does not unlock their iphones at this time or in the foreseeable future, this discussion is better off on verizons boards

Message 37 of 71
Scholar

Yup AT&T are likely to give you the run around
If you even ask them for unlock codes for iPhones
Been there myself I got phones4u to trade my at&t iPhone 4
In last week didn't think they would accept it but they did I got £210 for it
And got a 4S on Orange I think when you register them they
Become locked to the network but unlocking is easier here in the UK then US
Networks will do it for you.

I think the only option for you peeps is to buy a Apple handset
If you want a unlocked one there cheaper then having a tariff also Smiley Wink
Message 38 of 71
Scholar

I wish I had a nickel for every post complaining about AT&Ts refusal to unlock the iPhone. I'd be a millionaire!

Message 39 of 71
Scholar

Lol we've all been there and done that Smiley Wink
Besides Apple prices for the unlocked
Phones are still far better then if you bought them
Abroad it would be great if Apple would hold a International warranty but I don't think it's so

Apple UK couldn't even find details of my AT&T
Phone using the imei at first second time they got all the info up on it knew exactly where it was purchased in the US etc

Btw I'm sad I had to get rid of AT&T iPhone 4
But the shiny new 4S is miles better I love it so much Smiley Wink
Message 40 of 71
Professor

this thread still going on? does it really matter that Verizon will unlock a Iphone why bring it to AT&T.if you do not like AT&T and AT&T will not unlock you Iphone sell your iphone off and Move to Verizon.

Message 41 of 71

graphite07 wrote:

this thread still going on? does it really matter that Verizon will unlock a Iphone why bring it to AT&T.if you do not like AT&T and AT&T will not unlock you Iphone sell your iphone off and Move to Verizon.

Where's the holiday spirit?

Aren't people allowed to exchange ideas here?

You don't need to read the thread if it bothers you.

Message 42 of 71
Teacher

THANK YOU TO ALL who started and contributed to this thread.  Here's what this thread did for me:

1.  I learned that Verizon will unlock my new iPhone and AT&T will not.

2.  I learned that my Verizon iPhone can be used on both CDMA AND GSM systems and AT&T's can not.

3.  I learned that Verizon has a fully developed 4g-LTE system in the USA and AT&T does not.

4.  I learned that the Verizon iPhone is a better deal, overall, than the AT&T iPhone because it can be used on any GSM network in the USA ... and there are now more than 6 at my last count, albeit some are limited coverage areas.

Threads like this one are very educational and informative and, hopefully, will filter back to AT&T's policy-makers who someday may become less customer-punitive as they realize that customers like me are moving to Verizon because of the unreasonable restrictions AT&T imposes on iPhone customers, like in this case.

I like AT&T but I like my wallet and my independence even more. Therefore, ignoring this thread and buying my next iPhone from AT&T could not be justified in my case because there is no specific reason to stay with them when they negatively impact my iPhone ownership in such a material way - and for no apparent reason other than their own selfish profit motive. After all, if I fulfil my contract and wish to take my iPhone on a trip or to T-Mobile, why should AT&T restrict my right to do so?

I respect that every company has the exclusive right to make and enforce their own policies in this type of matter but in AT&T's case, getting what you are entitled to or have paid for is like a continuing contest of wills with them. This is a perfect example.

Merry Christmas to all.

Message 43 of 71
ACE - Expert

flyprivate wrote:
4.  I learned that the Verizon iPhone is a better deal, overall, than the AT&T iPhone because it can be used on any GSM network in the USA ...

This is false. The Verizon iPhone can not be used on any GSM network in the US. When they unlock it, it is for international use only.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 44 of 71
Professor

Number 2 isn't true, as well, because they are the same phone.  The carriers' policies are the only difference.

Message 45 of 71
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support