Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 5, 2011
3:40:56 PM
View profile
Verizon On Sim Card

So has Verizon  been using sim cards on some of their products before or are they moving over to SIM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22MYU56HBU&feature=uploademail

So has Verizon  been using sim cards on some of their products before or are they moving over to SIM.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Verizon On Sim Card

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 4:46:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:48:15 PM

I have never seen Verizon using SIM cards before in any of the devices they sell/manufacture, whether it be a phone, tablet, or a mobile hotspot, which the particular device in the video appears to be.

I know that I never had to use a SIM card in my previous Verizon phone, nor my parents had to. It all seemed very new to me and somewhat confusing when I switched to AT&T in December of 2009. Perhaps Verizon plans on using SIMs for that particular "MiFi" model, only?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I have never seen Verizon using SIM cards before in any of the devices they sell/manufacture, whether it be a phone, tablet, or a mobile hotspot, which the particular device in the video appears to be.

I know that I never had to use a SIM card in my previous Verizon phone, nor my parents had to. It all seemed very new to me and somewhat confusing when I switched to AT&T in December of 2009. Perhaps Verizon plans on using SIMs for that particular "MiFi" model, only?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Verizon On Sim Card

[ Edited ]
2 of 26 (3,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 5:25:38 PM
(0)
Expert

RicoLX wrote:

If it is a world device it has a sim card slot - not for us in the US

RicoLX wrote:

If it is a world device it has a sim card slot - not for us in the US

3 of 26 (3,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 8:43:36 PM
(0)
Master
All the 4G LTE phones/devices will use a SIM card on Verizon. It also means a person shouldn't do the *228, option 1 to program/activate the phone. The Thunderbolt owners have been having issues with the SIM cards not activating properly and taking several hours to do so.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
All the 4G LTE phones/devices will use a SIM card on Verizon. It also means a person shouldn't do the *228, option 1 to program/activate the phone. The Thunderbolt owners have been having issues with the SIM cards not activating properly and taking several hours to do so.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 26 (3,848 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 3:26:23 AM
(0)
Expert

Ann154 wrote:

ahh ok, 4g's are not on the list of approved phones for corporate use at the moment - not worth the money

Ann154 wrote:

ahh ok, 4g's are not on the list of approved phones for corporate use at the moment - not worth the money

5 of 26 (3,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 4:16:12 AM
(0)
Master
The 4G LTE usb data sticks and the 4G LTE mifi hotspots will also have the SIM card. Two of those devices have been available since the 4G LTE network was turned on at the end of 2010. I believe those devices were geared towards business customers.
The 4G LTE usb data sticks and the 4G LTE mifi hotspots will also have the SIM card. Two of those devices have been available since the 4G LTE network was turned on at the end of 2010. I believe those devices were geared towards business customers.

6 of 26 (3,821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 8:26:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Ann154 wrote:

Add the tablets to that mix, Motorola Xoom has a SIM card slot for LTE 4G.

Ann154 wrote:

Add the tablets to that mix, Motorola Xoom has a SIM card slot for LTE 4G.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 26 (3,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 8:33:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Hmmm. Looks like little "v's" gettn whipped into shape to get eaten by big ma bell. With sim being implemented, the takeover will be less costly. What will our name be then?
Hmmm. Looks like little "v's" gettn whipped into shape to get eaten by big ma bell. With sim being implemented, the takeover will be less costly. What will our name be then?

8 of 26 (3,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 10:29:28 AM
(0)
Master
I am not sure the Xoom has the SIM slot yet. Remember that in order to get the 4G LTE on the XOOM, you have to send it back to Motorola at some point for them to install the module and make the sd card work.
I am not sure the Xoom has the SIM slot yet. Remember that in order to get the 4G LTE on the XOOM, you have to send it back to Motorola at some point for them to install the module and make the sd card work.

9 of 26 (3,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 11:07:51 AM
(0)
Expert

RicoLX wrote:

you mean verizon is going to convert their network to GSM?

RicoLX wrote:

you mean verizon is going to convert their network to GSM?

10 of 26 (3,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 11:22:33 AM
(0)
Master
From what I understand, it was the 700 mhz LTE band that started the need for SIM cards. The phone still uses the CDMA network. The subscriber information is on the SIM card just like the SIM cards on a GSM network.
From what I understand, it was the 700 mhz LTE band that started the need for SIM cards. The phone still uses the CDMA network. The subscriber information is on the SIM card just like the SIM cards on a GSM network.

11 of 26 (3,512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 2:36:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Ann154 wrote:

The one I played with most certainly has the slot. Whether or not it is connected to anything internally I don't know (not having taken it apart).

Ann154 wrote:

The one I played with most certainly has the slot. Whether or not it is connected to anything internally I don't know (not having taken it apart).

12 of 26 (3,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 2:42:34 PM
(0)
Professor

So its fairly recent that Verizon started using sim technology.

So its fairly recent that Verizon started using sim technology.

13 of 26 (3,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 2:49:53 PM
(0)
Master
Like wingrider said, their global ready phones have had SIM cards for overseas use on GSM networks. However for every day on network use, yes, it is recent. So far only the devices and phones that are 4G LTE capable have the SIM card, but those same devices don't have the radios for GSM networks except maybe the 700 mhz band.
Like wingrider said, their global ready phones have had SIM cards for overseas use on GSM networks. However for every day on network use, yes, it is recent. So far only the devices and phones that are 4G LTE capable have the SIM card, but those same devices don't have the radios for GSM networks except maybe the 700 mhz band.

14 of 26 (3,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 2:59:13 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
 So far only the devices and phones that are 4G LTE capable have the SIM card, but those same devices don't have the radios for GSM networks except maybe the 700 mhz band.

That is my point exactly.  I am not referring to overseas technology, only here in U.S.A and the 4G LTE, the latest and greatest that Verizon is using for some of its technology here.   They are using SIM Cards in such devices.

Ann154 wrote:
 So far only the devices and phones that are 4G LTE capable have the SIM card, but those same devices don't have the radios for GSM networks except maybe the 700 mhz band.

That is my point exactly.  I am not referring to overseas technology, only here in U.S.A and the 4G LTE, the latest and greatest that Verizon is using for some of its technology here.   They are using SIM Cards in such devices.

15 of 26 (3,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 3:25:10 AM
(0)
Expert

RicoLX wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

but to what point? Even of they use SIM cards or not, then are locked to CDMA networks only. There is no raidio in the unit for GSM for non-global style phones

RicoLX wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

but to what point? Even of they use SIM cards or not, then are locked to CDMA networks only. There is no raidio in the unit for GSM for non-global style phones

16 of 26 (3,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 3:36:38 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:20:45 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

.....what.....? uh read the title of the discussion.....

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

.....what.....? uh read the title of the discussion.....

[ Edited ]
17 of 26 (3,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 4:11:13 AM
(0)
Master
I don't understand all of it, but I understand that the customer information is stored on the SIM card for Verizon just like it does on AT&T and T-Mobile. It just uses the CDMA and LTE network. Not sure where I read it, but I think an Asian country uses a SIM card for their own CDMA network. I don't recall if it was Japan or China or a country near them. That is the only way I can relate the Verizon SIM cards to a different carrier.
I don't understand all of it, but I understand that the customer information is stored on the SIM card for Verizon just like it does on AT&T and T-Mobile. It just uses the CDMA and LTE network. Not sure where I read it, but I think an Asian country uses a SIM card for their own CDMA network. I don't recall if it was Japan or China or a country near them. That is the only way I can relate the Verizon SIM cards to a different carrier.

18 of 26 (3,442 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 4:21:31 AM
(0)
Master
Not much info but maybe this will help.

http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/verizons-4g-lte-s...

19 of 26 (3,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 4:29:44 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:32:05 AM

Ann154 wrote:

http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/verizons-4g-lte-s...

thanks you Ann154. that is a good reference article...  Man HappyYou sure are helpful and courteous! one day you will make a great CL

Ann154 wrote:

http://m.engadget.com/default/article.do?artUrl=http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/verizons-4g-lte-sim-in-the-wild/&category=classic&postPage=1

thanks you Ann154. that is a good reference article...  Man HappyYou sure are helpful and courteous! one day you will make a great CL

[ Edited ]
20 of 26 (3,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 7:10:52 AM
(0)
Master
Already am a CL, just not here. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy
Already am a CL, just not here. Smiley Wink Smiley Very Happy

21 of 26 (3,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 7:23:36 AM
(0)
Professor
Yeah, I know Smiley Wink i've been following the discussion . Would be nice if we had same levels on this forum. I guess its jst another att control thingie.... Did I say that..

But it was interesting tk catch that "Jon RettingerReview" on YouTube (*i hate that gray irritating bar popup on youtube) and seeing him unbox the sim card during the clip.
Yeah, I know Smiley Wink i've been following the discussion . Would be nice if we had same levels on this forum. I guess its jst another att control thingie.... Did I say that..

But it was interesting tk catch that "Jon RettingerReview" on YouTube (*i hate that gray irritating bar popup on youtube) and seeing him unbox the sim card during the clip.

22 of 26 (3,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 8:55:18 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Please, everyone remember to stay on topic.  Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Please, everyone remember to stay on topic.  Thank you.

23 of 26 (3,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 9:07:53 AM
(0)
Professor
Sorry about that Glomag, yeson topic. This is Jon Rettinger reviewing a verizon sim card reference. I wonder if more sim card references are there on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22MYU56HBU&feature=uploademail
Sorry about that Glomag, yeson topic. This is Jon Rettinger reviewing a verizon sim card reference. I wonder if more sim card references are there on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d22MYU56HBU&feature=uploademail

24 of 26 (3,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 1:02:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Can this be a sign of things to come..... To: Ann154,me ahlways knew u is ah wise souljah.....educate de brethren.
Can this be a sign of things to come..... To: Ann154,me ahlways knew u is ah wise souljah.....educate de brethren.

25 of 26 (3,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2011 3:51:48 PM
(0)
Professor
Ayeman breaux Bass, ayeman. Smiley Wink
Ayeman breaux Bass, ayeman. Smiley Wink