Verizon Account Sold to At&T - Want to go back to Verizon

Contributor

Verizon Account Sold to At&T - Want to go back to Verizon

My Verizon acocunt was recently sold to At&t. I was expecting to see the same coverage in my area from At&t that Verizon provides. My At&t phone does not work in 75% of the area I work in. I travel from jobsite to jobsite and where my Verizon phone had great service, my At&t has nothing. I would like to go back to Verizon and keep my same phone number, but i am being told that Verizon no longer has the rights to my phone #. I don't understand how this is possible. The FCC made a rule in 2003 that customers have the right to transfer their phone # from carrier to carrier. Unfortunately, in my rural area, Verizon or Alltel is the best service providers, but my phone # is not supported by theses carriers any more. Is this possible? It's frustrating that the people suffering from this merger are the customers. It would cost me thousands of dollars to change my phone # on all of my advertising for my business. I've filed a complain with the FCC, but that is moving so slowly. Has anyone had any luck transferring a # back to verizon?

Message 1 of 6 (462 Views)
Mentor

Re: Verizon Account Sold to At&T - Want to go back to Verizon

I've heard some people were able to take their number back.  Is yours a business account?  If it's a business account that may explain the problem.  You and one other  person who uses theirs for business are the only ones I've heard of that weren't able to port their numbers back. 

Message 2 of 6 (461 Views)
Scholar

I'm in Mid Michigan and am in the same boat. 

I could switch to Alltel which will soon be switched to Verizon, but even then I could lose my number.

I decided to just stay with ATT.  I'm not really happy about it, but I went down the same exact road you did and came up empty handed as well.

Message 3 of 6 (445 Views)
Scholar

I should also mention that it is possible to port your number to something like google voice andt then have it forward to your new verizon phone number.

It is one way to get around the loophole, but it has its share of problems as well.

Message 4 of 6 (442 Views)
Mentor

Write your congressmen/senators in Washington, and let them know exactly how you feel about the government forcing you to a provider you didn't want and now won't let you take your number back.  Probably get a faster answer than trying to go through the FCC.

Message 5 of 6 (423 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

psj1985 wrote:

My Verizon acocunt was recently sold to At&t. I was expecting to see the same coverage in my area from At&t that Verizon provides. My At&t phone does not work in 75% of the area I work in. I travel from jobsite to jobsite and where my Verizon phone had great service, my At&t has nothing. I would like to go back to Verizon and keep my same phone number, but i am being told that Verizon no longer has the rights to my phone #. I don't understand how this is possible. The FCC made a rule in 2003 that customers have the right to transfer their phone # from carrier to carrier. Unfortunately, in my rural area, Verizon or Alltel is the best service providers, but my phone # is not supported by theses carriers any more. Is this possible? It's frustrating that the people suffering from this merger are the customers. It would cost me thousands of dollars to change my phone # on all of my advertising for my business. I've filed a complain with the FCC, but that is moving so slowly. Has anyone had any luck transferring a # back to verizon?

The FCC also sets rules on when numbers cannot be ported, so it works both ways

Message 6 of 6 (420 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.