Vampire or phantom Data Charges

Tutor

Vampire or phantom Data Charges

I'm not sure how else to describe this problem or symptom.  I just started using an android smartphone and I'm being charged for a lot of data usage I did not initiate.  I've gone in and turned off everything I can find, but am still wracking up a lot of data charges.  There seems to be some sort of data vampire running around... 

I'm not browsing the web.  I'm not running apps that I'm aware of.  I check the task manager and it says 0 apps running.  I've turned off the sync function.  I have not logged into gmail from my phone.  I'm not using facebook and have not logged into it from the phone, nor connected my acct to the phone. 

I have sent text messages and made phone calls.  The two apps I've downloaded were downloaded while I was home on my wifi connection.  The only data I am aware of using has been to update the weather a few times. 

My only option seems to be to go into flight mode, or at least turn off the data feature. 

Message 1 of 7 (773 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: Vampire or phantom Data Charges

What kind of data use are you seeing? What phone are you using?

Is this something that just started happening or have you noticed this ever since you got the phone?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 7 (766 Views)
Tutor

It's a few MB each day.  I'm using a Samsung Captivate Glide.  I just got the phone a few days ago, so it's a recent occurence that has been going on since I first got the phone.  I keep looking for things to turn off, and it keeps talking to the internet anyway.  I can see the internet usage icon change from green to yellow occasionally, even if I have zero apps running.  I turned off data sync yesterday and I still had several MB used. 

Message 3 of 7 (758 Views)
Former Community Manager

There might be an app running in the background that's using data. Maybe something that came pre-installed...

I'm going to move your post into the Samsung board to see if any of the folks there can shed some light on what might be using the data. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (751 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

jaybats

see this post also

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Enormous-data-consumption-HELP/td-p/3029515

try to pull out the battery for at least 3 hours so the any back-up charge is gone. reinsert the battery and the phone should do a cold boot. everything should auto -update.  hopefully this helps. this is the only thin that helped me.  I was assessed 3 data overages and att couldn't help me as of today but i am going to call CS again and again until i can get some sort of satisfaction.  And, I did monitor the phone after the cold boot and things are back to normal except my now service is suspended. but hey no more data vanpires ;-)   but seriously, i just need them to remove the $45 asessment. then i'll be good again.

dave

Message 5 of 7 (670 Views)
Scholar

I highly recommend you download "Traffic Monitor" from the Android Market.  It's a great free app that tracks data usage for last month, current month, yesterday, and today, broken down by app.  It also breaks it out by wifi vs cellular.  This is a good way to determine WHICH app is burning through your data!

Message 6 of 7 (647 Views)
Tutor

Thanks!  I'll give this a shot. 

Message 7 of 7 (634 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.