Usual Data Usage Solved???

Tutor

Usual Data Usage Solved???

I have monitored my usage over the last month since I received my Iphone4. I too noticed like everyone else that has posted on previous post that my data has increase 10 times my normal usage at 2am every morning. I investigated and kept an eye on it.  I was using between 4000kb to 70000kb during 2am when I was not on my phone so I experimented and  turned off my phone completely logged off and monitored if there was any usage from bedtime until I rebooted my phone the next morning and voila there was no usage. I then noticed that right after I rebooted without any usage I had a log of 4000-6000 kb at that time. I did some research and read apples user agreement and noticed they securely send data, Diagnostic Data , (which requires 3G) to submit their data research on your phone and you may not remember, like me, when you downloaded 4.0 you agree to send your data to Apple. If you go into ITunes and reset all warnings and sync your phone you can select to opt out of this data harvesting and reduce your usage. I dropped all of the unknown usage and I am back to regular usage to date.

Good Luck, what worked for me might not work for you. If you would like to research it for yourself before you try it go to your ITunes under Help> ITunes Help>Search and search for Sending Diagnostic and usage information and also read your user agreement. Good Luck your on your own. 

Message 1 of 13 (2,776 Views)
Tutor

Re: Usual Data Usage Solved???

[ Edited ]

Here it is from the Help section of Itunes

Sending diagnostic and usage information about your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to Apple

The first time you connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to your computer, iTunes asks for your permission to collect and analyze diagnostic and data information from your device.

Apple uses the information to improve the quality and performance of its products and services. The information may include details about hardware and operating system specifications, performance statistics, and datadata about how you use your device and applications.

Diagnostic and usage information is collected only with your explicit consent, and is submitted anonymously to Apple. None of the collected information identifies you personally. Personal data is either not logged at all, or is removed from any reports before they're sent to Apple.

Message 2 of 13 (2,761 Views)
Explorer

Great thinking! I never used to send mine but there wasn't a reason I always clicked no. With this information in mind, I'll continue to decline! Thank you
Message 3 of 13 (2,720 Views)
Scholar

Good info!!
Message 4 of 13 (2,692 Views)
Tutor

Thanks, here is the user agreement section concerning data usage.

4. Consent to Use of Data.

(a) Anonymous Diagnostic and Usage Data. You agree that Apple and its subsidiaries and agents may collect, maintain, process and use diagnostic, technical, usage and related information, including but not limited to information

about your iPhone, computer, system and application software, and peripherals, that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support and other services to you (if any) related to the iPhone

Software, and to verify compliance with the terms of this License. Apple may use this information, as long as it is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you, to improve our products or to provide services

or technologies to you.

Message 5 of 13 (2,671 Views)

i did that whole thing (right clicked on iphone in itunes while hooked up and clicked reset warnings - clicked no) and i checked this morning and 20 MBS were added on over night again.

Message 6 of 13 (2,626 Views)
Tutor

May not be the resolve for you then. Good Luck hope it at least helps others. It did for me and I would like to point that opportunity out to as many people as possible to help. It is a process of elimination so start here and if it did not help you move on to the next option and eliminate them as you go. You will be able to figure it out.

crispichickn wrote:

Aparecium wrote:

torino is right. this has the answer to your problem:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Usual-Data​-Usage-Solved/td-p/1986408

i did that whole thing (right clicked on iphone in itunes while hooked up and clicked reset warnings - clicked no) and i checked this morning and 20 MBS were added on over night again

Message 7 of 13 (2,612 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

crispichickn wrote:

i did that whole thing (right clicked on iphone in itunes while hooked up and clicked reset warnings - clicked no) and i checked this morning and 20 MBS were added on over night again.

20MB has got to be delayed accounting of data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 13 (2,524 Views)

johninsj wrote:

crispichickn wrote:

20MB has got to be delayed accounting of data.

nope. i made sure i didnt use any internet that day at all. the only thing i did was make a few calls (no Voicemail) and texted. 

Message 9 of 13 (2,514 Views)
Professor

It isn't clear to me where the diagnostics are being sent from. When I turned my diagnostics off, it asked if I wanted to delete the logs and it showed me a bunch of crash logs on my computer. Is the data being sent from the phone directly, or from the computer via iTunes?
Message 10 of 13 (2,492 Views)

dwill05 wrote:
It isn't clear to me where the diagnostics are being sent from. When I turned my diagnostics off, it asked if I wanted to delete the logs and it showed me a bunch of crash logs on my computer. Is the data being sent from the phone directly, or from the computer via iTunes?

what do you mean turned diagnostics off? and delete logs? 

the way i know how to do it is right click on iphone while connected in itunes and click reset warnings.

Message 11 of 13 (1,053 Views)
Professor

After you reset the warnings, I believe the next time you plug the phone in and sync, it will ask the diagnostic data question again. Then you can say no to stop it. IIRC, there was also an option to see the data being sent and that opened up a folder with the crash logs.
Message 12 of 13 (1,044 Views)

oh hm, mine never asked me again or opened up a folder with crash logs ( maybe because mine has never crashed because i haven't had it that long)

Message 13 of 13 (1,028 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.