Helpful Links

Using upgrade from different line

Contributor

Using upgrade from different line

I wanted to know if I can use the upgrade on a different line. I wanted to get an Android phone, which requires a data package. My line currently has a data package, but the line that is eligible for an upgrade does not. Can I still use that lines upgrade and not be charged an additional amount on our upcoming bill?

Message 1 of 8
Employee

Re: Using upgrade from different line

Since its an Android you'll need a smartphone data package but other than that yes you can use another lines upgrade
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8
Scholar

I actually have been wondering the same thing. I think the original poster is asking this...

Line 1 has a smartphone already with a data package but is not eligible for an upgrade. Line 2 has a "dumb" phone, and they want to keep that "dumb" phone, they don't have a data pkg on line 2 and line 2 is eligible for an upgrade. Can the line 2's upgrade be used to get a new smartphone for line 1 to use without adding a data pkg to line 2 to get the upgrade price?

Confuse anyone? Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Master

If you do the upgrade in the store, they will be able to help you with all this so that it is immediate regarding the changes that are necessary to the two lines of service in order to accomplish what you are after.

If you upgrade on-line, etc. what will need to occur is that you'll order the smartphone that you want - which will likely require adding an appropriate smartphone data plan in order to place the order.  Once the phone arrives, the line 1 person will use their SIM card in the new phone.  Their line of service is already provisioned with an appropriate smartphone data plan, so no changes will need to occur to it for continued use.

The line 2 person will use the new SIM in their old non-smartphone (Or they can continue to use their existing SIM if it doesn't cease to function as part of the upgrade process.  I'd recommend the latter if possible so you'll keep an extra unactivated SIM on hand from the upgrade in case you need one in the future; however, it's been several years since I upgraded and I'm not certain whether upgrade SIMs are still coming from at&t not fully activated.)  Then you'll need to contact customer service (1-800-331-0500) to let them know that the new upgrade (smartphone) is being used on another line of service within the account - one which already has the smartphone data plan, and that you want to remove the data plan from line 2, which is still only using an older feature phone/QMD.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 8
Scholar

Thanks for that answer, that all makes complete sense. I have to do everything online as I have a Premier account.; or that's what I've been told anyway.

There isn't a chance that you could be 'penalized' if they realize you're using the upgrade as a work-around for getting a new smartphone earlier than you should for line 1? After all, they're not reaping the ongoing benefit of you now paying the data rate on two lines instead of one but they're still handing over a $500-600 phone for $200 bucks.

Just curious... *looks around and whistles* Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 8
Master

das8nt wrote:

Thanks for that answer, that all makes complete sense. I have to do everything online as I have a Premier account.; or that's what I've been told anyway.

There isn't a chance that you could be 'penalized' if they realize you're using the upgrade as a work-around for getting a new smartphone earlier than you should for line 1? After all, they're not reaping the ongoing benefit of you now paying the data rate on two lines instead of one but they're still handing over a $500-600 phone for $200 bucks.

Just curious... *looks around and whistles* Smiley Wink

No - this is something that at&t freely allows, and I would have to believe that they capture historical information regarding family account upgrades that they've worked into their pricing levels to help offset the impact of it.  Plus it probably qualifies as "a bird in the hand......." thing.  lol.  And not to mention the fact that once the equipment subsidy has been recaptured, the requirement for the data plan is not eliminated, so they've got additional "coverage" that way too. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 8
Scholar

Good to know. Thanks for your thorough and concise explanation.

Message 7 of 8
Master

das8nt wrote:

Good to know. Thanks for your thorough and concise explanation.

You're welcome!

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support