Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 14, 2010
12:15:47 PM
View profile
Using the HTC G2 (unlocked) on AT&T (will it support 3G vs HSPA+)?

I recently bought (full price @ $500) an HTC G2 (from T-Mobile), got an unlock code from T-Mobile's "SIM Unlock Team" and put a SIM card from my AT&T HTC Tilt in the G2.

Voice calls, including VM notification works great.

So does Wifi

However I am not able to access AT&T's (3G) data network with this phone.

I think that is because T-Mobile's data network supports HSPA+ and that is how the phone is configured.

Is there any way I can use the HTC G2 with AT&T's 3G data network?

I recently bought (full price @ $500) an HTC G2 (from T-Mobile), got an unlock code from T-Mobile's "SIM Unlock Team" and put a SIM card from my AT&T HTC Tilt in the G2.

Voice calls, including VM notification works great.

So does Wifi

However I am not able to access AT&T's (3G) data network with this phone.

I think that is because T-Mobile's data network supports HSPA+ and that is how the phone is configured.

Using the HTC G2 (unlocked) on AT&T (will it support 3G vs HSPA+)?

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 2:40:22 PM
(0)
Professor

markgraham wrote:

I am not able to access AT&T's (3G) data network with this phone.

HSPA+ has nothing to do with it.

TMO's 3G network runs on the 1700Mhz spectrum.

AT&T's 3G network runs on the 850 and 1900Mhz spectrum.

The G2 is incapable of operating on AT&T's 3G network but will work just fine on the EDGE network.

markgraham wrote:

I am not able to access AT&T's (3G) data network with this phone.

HSPA+ has nothing to do with it.

TMO's 3G network runs on the 1700Mhz spectrum.

AT&T's 3G network runs on the 850 and 1900Mhz spectrum.

The G2 is incapable of operating on AT&T's 3G network but will work just fine on the EDGE network.

Re: Using the HTC G2 (unlocked) on AT&T (will it support 3G vs HSPA+)?

2 of 16 (20,678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 2:25:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you so much for that explanation about the freq. used by T-Mobile and AT&T for 3G.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use my unlocked T-Mobile HTC G2 (with an AT&T SIM card) on data networks (2G or 3G) in non-US countries, e.g. Greece and the UK?

It is working GREAT in the US on AT&T's EDGE network.

- Mark

Thank you so much for that explanation about the freq. used by T-Mobile and AT&T for 3G.

Does anyone know if I will be able to use my unlocked T-Mobile HTC G2 (with an AT&T SIM card) on data networks (2G or 3G) in non-US countries, e.g. Greece and the UK?

- Mark

3 of 16 (20,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2010 9:38:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

markgraham wrote:

- Mark

Yes, you will get 2G or 3G network while you use At&t Sim Card oversea if you don't mind paying extra for international plan. Also, Since your phone is unlock why don't you just their countries cell phone provider?

markgraham wrote:

- Mark

Yes, you will get 2G or 3G network while you use At&t Sim Card oversea if you don't mind paying extra for international plan. Also, Since your phone is unlock why don't you just their countries cell phone provider?

4 of 16 (20,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2010 7:53:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The G2 looks like a great phone.  I suggest to the OP to create a seperate thread containing a mini review, comments on getting the phone up and running on ATT, any other thoughts on the phone (and using it on ATT), etc.

The G2 looks like a great phone.  I suggest to the OP to create a seperate thread containing a mini review, comments on getting the phone up and running on ATT, any other thoughts on the phone (and using it on ATT), etc.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 16 (20,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 11:33:08 AM
(0)
Professor

markgraham wrote:

It will work on EDGE worldwide.  But will only work on 3G in countries where the wireless operater uses the 1700MHz spectrum. 

It appears that the G2 may also supports the 2100MHz spectrum for 3G service, but I cannot confirm that on HTC or TMO's websites.  If it does support 2100MHz, you should be okay in Europe, otherwise you will only get EDGE service.

markgraham wrote:

It will work on EDGE worldwide.  But will only work on 3G in countries where the wireless operater uses the 1700MHz spectrum. 

It appears that the G2 may also supports the 2100MHz spectrum for 3G service, but I cannot confirm that on HTC or TMO's websites.  If it does support 2100MHz, you should be okay in Europe, otherwise you will only get EDGE service.

6 of 16 (20,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 3:55:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

But the HTC site says the T-Mobile HTC-2 supports:

GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900

http://www.htc.com/us/products/t-mobile-g2?refcd=GO000000110258510s_t_mobile_g2#tech-specs

(Not: 1700Mhz)

http://www.htc.com/us/products/t-mobile-g2?refcd=GO000000110258510s_t_mobile_g2#tech-specs

7 of 16 (20,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 6:09:07 PM
(0)
Professor

markgraham wrote:

That's correct.  Those are the GSM frequencies for 2G service.

For UMTS (or 3G) it supports 1700MHz (and possibly 2100MHz).

markgraham wrote:

That's correct.  Those are the GSM frequencies for 2G service.

For UMTS (or 3G) it supports 1700MHz (and possibly 2100MHz).

8 of 16 (20,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 7:21:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Some "phone news" websites like the one below spec out 1700 and 2100 for UMTS, but as satchev already mentioned, the T-Mob and HTC websites don't say this.  The HTC site lists the 2G bands, then for UMTS is just says "yes".  So its not clear whether it has the 2100 MHz band or not.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2878

Some "phone news" websites like the one below spec out 1700 and 2100 for UMTS, but as satchev already mentioned, the T-Mob and HTC websites don't say this.  The HTC site lists the 2G bands, then for UMTS is just says "yes".  So its not clear whether it has the 2100 MHz band or not.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2878

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 16 (19,948 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2010 6:11:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

So how do you get the G2 to actually get internet service thru att ..I tried reading this and based on the EDGE vs. 3G sounded like I needed to enable 2G network option only but still no luck ..please HELP!!

So how do you get the G2 to actually get internet service thru att ..I tried reading this and based on the EDGE vs. 3G sounded like I needed to enable 2G network option only but still no luck ..please HELP!!

10 of 16 (17,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2010 7:57:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Nov 29, 2010 at 7:58:53 AM

misslady7270 wrote:

You shouldn't have to enable 2G, the phone should just find it automatically if it can't find a 3G network.  Same as if you were using a ATT branded phone and were in a location that did not have 3G service available.

My guess is that you don't have the phone configured for ATT's data network.  Try this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/android-discuss@googlegroups.com/msg11198.html

misslady7270 wrote:

You shouldn't have to enable 2G, the phone should just find it automatically if it can't find a 3G network.  Same as if you were using a ATT branded phone and were in a location that did not have 3G service available.

My guess is that you don't have the phone configured for ATT's data network.  Try this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/android-discuss@googlegroups.com/msg11198.html

[ Edited ]
11 of 16 (11,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 2:11:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi how do you get Edge service working on an tmobile HTC g2 on an at&t network??? 

Hi how do you get Edge service working on an tmobile HTC g2 on an at&t network??? 

12 of 16 (10,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 2:22:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

how can i connect my unlocked tmobile htc g2 to the edge network via an at&t sim card??? some reason I search for a network and won't find the edge network? is there some kind of steps i have to go throu to get edge on this phone???? 

how can i connect my unlocked tmobile htc g2 to the edge network via an at&t sim card??? some reason I search for a network and won't find the edge network? is there some kind of steps i have to go throu to get edge on this phone???? 

13 of 16 (10,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 6:34:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

In Settings>Wireless& Networks>Mobile Networks, select Access Point Names, then enter the settings shown in post #2 on the following link.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/309124/apn-network-settings-for-at-t/...

In Settings>Wireless& Networks>Mobile Networks, select Access Point Names, then enter the settings shown in post #2 on the following link.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/309124/apn-network-settings-for-at-t/#entry1281818

14 of 16 (10,900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 6:29:49 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Beegeesidney on Jan 15, 2011 at 6:30:44 PM

I have not gotten my phone to receive 3G, however it is fairly responsive in Edge. The staff at AT&T was helpful in setting up my G2 so that it would work on their network. Smiley Tongue

If anyone has had success getting 3G, please let me know what you did.

I have not gotten my phone to receive 3G, however it is fairly responsive in Edge. The staff at AT&T was helpful in setting up my G2 so that it would work on their network. Smiley Tongue

[ Edited ]
15 of 16 (9,851 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 4:57:46 AM
(0)
Professor

Beegeesidney wrote:

Read the thread you replied to.  The G2 will not work on AT&T's 3G.  It does not have the correct hardware to do so.

Beegeesidney wrote:

Read the thread you replied to.  The G2 will not work on AT&T's 3G.  It does not have the correct hardware to do so.

16 of 16 (9,823 Views)