Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2011
9:07:06 AM
Using tablet pc through ATT

I'm thinking about purchasing a tablet pc.  I've noticed that some are wifi only and others are wifi/3g.  If I purchase one that can be used on 3g through ATT do I have to purchase another data plan for it?  I already have data/internet on my smartphone through ATT.  I'm not real clear on how this works.  Thanks!

I'm thinking about purchasing a tablet pc.  I've noticed that some are wifi only and others are wifi/3g.  If I purchase one that can be used on 3g through ATT do I have to purchase another data plan for it?  I already have data/internet on my smartphone through ATT.  I'm not real clear on how this works.  Thanks!

Using tablet pc through ATT

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 9:42:34 AM
(0)
Employee
you would need a seperate data plan. but you could get a tethering package for your phone and you wouldn't need to get a 3g model tablet.
you would need a seperate data plan. but you could get a tethering package for your phone and you wouldn't need to get a 3g model tablet.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Using tablet pc through ATT

2 of 12 (1,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 10:30:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ok.  What exactly is a tethering package?  And I wouldn't need a 3g tab??  How come?

Ok.  What exactly is a tethering package?  And I wouldn't need a 3g tab??  How come?

3 of 12 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 11:54:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

missourigrl wrote:

A tethering package is a data plan for your smartphone that allows you to use its data connection on other devices.  This data connection can be via USB or via Mobile Hotspot (wirelessly), depending on your phone. 

The DataPro plus Tethering gives you 4GB of data for $45 a month.  You wouldn't need a 3G tablet because the tablet will access the data on your phone via Wi-fi or USB.  The tablet itself will not access cellular data.  HTH

missourigrl wrote:

A tethering package is a data plan for your smartphone that allows you to use its data connection on other devices.  This data connection can be via USB or via Mobile Hotspot (wirelessly), depending on your phone. 

The DataPro plus Tethering gives you 4GB of data for $45 a month.  You wouldn't need a 3G tablet because the tablet will access the data on your phone via Wi-fi or USB.  The tablet itself will not access cellular data.  HTH

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (1,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 12:24:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ok...I sort of understand.  Sorry, I'm not effecient in all of this.  So what would be the point of getting a 3g tab?

Ok...I sort of understand.  Sorry, I'm not effecient in all of this.  So what would be the point of getting a 3g tab?

5 of 12 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 12:33:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

missourigrl wrote:

I don't really know. I think getting a 3G tablet would enable you to use data from your smartphone data plan. So you're basically "sharing", I think. If I were you, I would get the Wi-Fi only model. Is it an iPad 2? Samsung Galaxy Tab? You could just access Wi-Fi only, then. It would be all free. With 3G plus Wi-Fi, you could substitute 3G for Wi-Fi when needed or vice versa.

I still think it would be simpler and cheaper to get the Wi-Fi only model.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

missourigrl wrote:

I don't really know. I think getting a 3G tablet would enable you to use data from your smartphone data plan. So you're basically "sharing", I think. If I were you, I would get the Wi-Fi only model. Is it an iPad 2? Samsung Galaxy Tab? You could just access Wi-Fi only, then. It would be all free. With 3G plus Wi-Fi, you could substitute 3G for Wi-Fi when needed or vice versa.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (1,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 12:38:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's the new Acer Iconia.  It's wifi only right now but will eventually be available in 3g/wifi. 

It's the new Acer Iconia.  It's wifi only right now but will eventually be available in 3g/wifi. 

7 of 12 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 12:43:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Oh, wow...never heard of it. Smiley Very Happy Do you think you'd like the Wi-Fi only version or Wi-Fi+3G model when it comes out?

Oh, wow...never heard of it. Smiley Very Happy Do you think you'd like the Wi-Fi only version or Wi-Fi+3G model when it comes out?

8 of 12 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 3:48:15 PM
(0)
Mentor

It's gotten some rave reviews so far.  I don't know which I'm going to get. 

It's gotten some rave reviews so far.  I don't know which I'm going to get. 

9 of 12 (1,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 4:00:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

missourigrl wrote:

A 3G tablet would not share the data from the smartphone plan, but would require its own data plan in order to use cellular data.  If you plan to use the tablet and want to use the data from the smartphone via mobile hotspot or tethering, you will pay for the tethering service on the smartphone, but have no data plan on the tablet.

People (like myself) want a 3G enabled tablet to use when not near an open Wi-fi signal, and would rather not pay for the tethering plan on the smartphone.  There is also the consideration that using the mobile phone as a wireless hotspot runs the battery down pretty quickly.  Since this use would be when I am out and about, charging usually isn't an option.

Wild Banchi wrote:

missourigrl wrote:

A 3G tablet would not share the data from the smartphone plan, but would require its own data plan in order to use cellular data.  If you plan to use the tablet and want to use the data from the smartphone via mobile hotspot or tethering, you will pay for the tethering service on the smartphone, but have no data plan on the tablet.

People (like myself) want a 3G enabled tablet to use when not near an open Wi-fi signal, and would rather not pay for the tethering plan on the smartphone.  There is also the consideration that using the mobile phone as a wireless hotspot runs the battery down pretty quickly.  Since this use would be when I am out and about, charging usually isn't an option.

10 of 12 (1,027 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 4:03:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Did you see the one-day only sale today at www.bestbuy.com for this tablet?  $449 is a sweet deal for this.

Did you see the one-day only sale today at www.bestbuy.com for this tablet?  $449 is a sweet deal for this.

11 of 12 (778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2011 6:40:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Thanks for the clarification, 21stNow. That really did help. So, missourigrl, if you would like the Wi-Fi+3G Acer tablet instead of the Wi-Fi only model, I (and I'm sure others, too) would recommend to add the data tethering plan. That way, you can share 3G data between your phone and tablet, all with one data plan at a monthly allowance of 4GB.

Thanks for the clarification, 21stNow. That really did help. So, missourigrl, if you would like the Wi-Fi+3G Acer tablet instead of the Wi-Fi only model, I (and I'm sure others, too) would recommend to add the data tethering plan. That way, you can share 3G data between your phone and tablet, all with one data plan at a monthly allowance of 4GB.

12 of 12 (771 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments