Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 8, 2011
10:51:26 AM
View profile
Using someone elses upgrade.

There are 2 lines on the same account. 1 is eligible for an upgrade, 1 is not. Is it possible for the person who isn't eligible to use the others to upgrade to an iphone? Obviously with their permission. As I'm not familiar with how the sims work with iphones, was just wondering how this would work.

There are 2 lines on the same account. 1 is eligible for an upgrade, 1 is not. Is it possible for the person who isn't eligible to use the others to upgrade to an iphone? Obviously with their permission. As I'm not familiar with how the sims work with iphones, was just wondering how this would work.

Using someone elses upgrade.

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 11:01:09 AM
(0)
Guru

Yes the other person would be able to use the upgrade

However i find it best to go to an ATT store to do this because it is alot easier

Before one goes though, the other person needs to be added as an "Authenticated User" (unless you go with the main account holder) or something to that effect so that they can be able to do it themselves without the primary account holder having to be there. They still need the last 4 digits of the Social to the account and maybe the billing zip code
(To do this call 611 and i believe say "authorize user", if that doesnt work just have the main holder talk to a CSR)

Yes the other person would be able to use the upgrade

However i find it best to go to an ATT store to do this because it is alot easier

Before one goes though, the other person needs to be added as an "Authenticated User" (unless you go with the main account holder) or something to that effect so that they can be able to do it themselves without the primary account holder having to be there. They still need the last 4 digits of the Social to the account and maybe the billing zip code
(To do this call 611 and i believe say "authorize user", if that doesnt work just have the main holder talk to a CSR)

Re: Using someone elses upgrade.

2 of 9 (5,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 11:02:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, this is possible.  There used to be a link in the pinned topics at the top of the forums on exactly how to do this, but it doesn't appear to be there any longer.

Keep in mind that doing this will require the line that does qualify for an upgrade to renew their 2 year contract with AT&T.  When they receive their phone (if ordered online) they provide you with the phone and you call AT&T to activate teh phone on your account.  If you do not already have the required data plan, you will need to add it to your account when you activate the new phone on your line.  If you are doing this in store, then you will both need to be present, and have them activate the phone on your line.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Yes, this is possible.  There used to be a link in the pinned topics at the top of the forums on exactly how to do this, but it doesn't appear to be there any longer.

Keep in mind that doing this will require the line that does qualify for an upgrade to renew their 2 year contract with AT&T.  When they receive their phone (if ordered online) they provide you with the phone and you call AT&T to activate teh phone on your account.  If you do not already have the required data plan, you will need to add it to your account when you activate the new phone on your line.  If you are doing this in store, then you will both need to be present, and have them activate the phone on your line.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 9 (5,227 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2011 11:14:47 AM
(0)
Guru

GeekBoy wrote:

Thats why i think going into a store is easier Smiley Wink

They do everything for you in the store plus you get the phone the same day!

GeekBoy wrote:

Thats why i think going into a store is easier Smiley Wink

They do everything for you in the store plus you get the phone the same day!

4 of 9 (5,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 7:54:38 AM
(0)
Scholar
If the process requires renewing the contract then I believe the account holder will have to be present. Authorized user can make changes to plans but cannot do anything that requires signature of the account holder.. ie.. renewing a contract.
If the process requires renewing the contract then I believe the account holder will have to be present. Authorized user can make changes to plans but cannot do anything that requires signature of the account holder.. ie.. renewing a contract.

5 of 9 (5,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2011 8:20:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bmsrn wrote:

This one is a little tough.  In my case, my account is in my wife's name because she has a better corporate discount plan.  Last July, I walked into an Apple store and purchased my iPhone 4 upgrade and as long as I knew the proper information, and was able to pay for the iPhone, I was allowed to upgrade my phone as an authorized user on the account.  I can't say if this is because the store was busy, or if ir was because I was authorized...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

bmsrn wrote:

This one is a little tough.  In my case, my account is in my wife's name because she has a better corporate discount plan.  Last July, I walked into an Apple store and purchased my iPhone 4 upgrade and as long as I knew the proper information, and was able to pay for the iPhone, I was allowed to upgrade my phone as an authorized user on the account.  I can't say if this is because the store was busy, or if ir was because I was authorized...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 9 (5,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 5:07:32 PM
(0)
Guru

bmsrn wrote:

not true
I was made an authorized user when the iphone 4 came out and i SIGNED an additional 2yr contract (I still had to know the billing address and last 4 digits of the social security of the primary account holder)

When you become that user, you are able to do anything to the account.

bmsrn wrote:

not true
I was made an authorized user when the iphone 4 came out and i SIGNED an additional 2yr contract (I still had to know the billing address and last 4 digits of the social security of the primary account holder)

When you become that user, you are able to do anything to the account.

7 of 9 (4,973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2011 5:27:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
I did it today. Got an iPhone 4 using my husbands upgrade. Went into store. Took 30 minutes. Even kept my unlimited data.
I did it today. Got an iPhone 4 using my husbands upgrade. Went into store. Took 30 minutes. Even kept my unlimited data.

8 of 9 (4,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2011 2:31:55 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by graphite07 on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:32:18 AM

tinagallo379 wrote:

very good. i used my wifes Upgrade  to get a 3GS lastyear, we was in and out about 30 minutes also.

tinagallo379 wrote:

very good. i used my wifes Upgrade  to get a 3GS lastyear, we was in and out about 30 minutes also.

hello!!!

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (4,930 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments