Ask a question

Posted Apr 16, 2012
4:55:27 PM
View profile
Using phone upgrade to get an iPhone for someone with a different phone

My mom recently dropped my android in a sink full of water and it was ruined despite the wetness indicators only turning 1/3 pink on the one on the phone. I took it to a store to get it fixed and they refused to help me so my mom promised me she'd get me an iPhone with my dad's phone upgrade when it was ready. She had already used her phone upgrade to get a windows phone but she didn't like it so she transferred it and the data plan to my dad's phone number. If we use my dad's phone upgrade to get an iPhone, will it put a new data plan on my mom's phone number or will it just stay the same since me and my dad already have data plans?

Using phone upgrade to get an iPhone for someone with a different phone

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 6:25:07 PM
(0)
Master

Gren wrote:

My mom recently dropped my android in a sink full of water and it was ruined despite the wetness indicators only turning 1/3 pink on the one on the phone. I took it to a store to get it fixed and they refused to help me so my mom promised me she'd get me an iPhone with my dad's phone upgrade when it was ready. She had already used her phone upgrade to get a windows phone but she didn't like it so she transferred it and the data plan to my dad's phone number. If we use my dad's phone upgrade to get an iPhone, will it put a new data plan on my mom's phone number or will it just stay the same since me and my dad already have data plans?

If you use his upgrade, everything will be sorted out correctly.  What you need to do is go to a ATT corporate store and they will move the phones, lines, and data plans around to ensure that everyone has the right setup and that if any had unlimited data, that stays in place.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Using phone upgrade to get an iPhone for someone with a different phone

2 of 4 (595 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2012 8:33:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ok thankyou. Thats what I thought but my mom thinks that when you upgrade a normal phone to a smartphone that you have to lock in another data plan for 2 years and I wanted to atleast get enough proof so she could take me to the AT&T store to find out for sure.

3 of 4 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2012 7:09:09 AM
(0)
Master

Gren wrote:

Ok thankyou. Thats what I thought but my mom thinks that when you upgrade a normal phone to a smartphone that you have to lock in another data plan for 2 years and I wanted to atleast get enough proof so she could take me to the AT&T store to find out for sure.

Data plans are not part of your contract if you use a standard phone; voice service is.  Now if you are using a smart phone on the line then yes you do need the data plan but once you put a standard phone back on the line you may drop the data plan so it might be on the account for a short period of time while the phones and lines are being sorted out. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

4 of 4 (568 Views)