Using phone from postpaid account on prepaid service

Explorer

Using phone from postpaid account on prepaid service

I have inherited a phone (Samsung Propel A767) that was previously used on ATT postpaid service. The person walked away from the contract owing the ETF. Would this same phone be usable on a prepaid account? Would that be considered a bad ESN?

Message 1 of 10
Master

Re: Using phone from postpaid account on prepaid service

You could try to use it with a new prepaid account. I think the ESN would be considered bad, though, if the ETF was not paid in full. You could get a whole different phone altogether. That would then work.

Would you happen to know how the ETF was not paid?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 10
Explorer

Wild Banchi wrote:

You could try to use it with a new prepaid account. I think the ESN would be considered bad, though, if the ETF was not paid in full. You could get a whole different phone altogether. That would then work.

I was on a family plan with this person and it was in their name. She went to Cricket and I went to Boost. I know she hasn't paid as she has no income.

Message 3 of 10
Master

terribear62 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I was on a family plan with this person and it was in their name. She went to Cricket and I went to Boost. I know she hasn't paid as she has no income.

Alright, just checking. You could try to use the Propel on a new prepaid plan, but the ESN would worry me a little bit... There's a chance it could still be clean, but you never know. And of course, you would not want to be stuck paying the ETF if it's not under your name...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

terribear62 wrote:

I have inherited a phone (Samsung Propel A767) that was previously used on ATT postpaid service. The person walked away from the contract owing the ETF. Would this same phone be usable on a prepaid account? Would that be considered a bad ESN?

There's no ESN to worry about. AFAIK AT&T usually doesn't black list IMEI numbers unless the device was stolen. The financial responsibility lies with the owner of the SIM card, so the phone you should be able to use by just putting a different SIM in it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Master

dmapr wrote:

terribear62 wrote:

There's no ESN to worry about. AFAIK AT&T usually doesn't black list IMEI numbers unless the device was stolen. The financial responsibility lies with the owner of the SIM card, so the phone you should be able to use by just putting a different SIM in it.

Do they even do so if it's stolen?  I didn't think so, although I know they have the "Report as Lost/Stolen" functionality; but I always assumed that was just to deactivate the SIM so it could not be used by someone else without affecting the ability to use the phone with a different SIM. (?)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert

hme83 wrote:

Do they even do so if it's stolen?  I didn't think so, although I know they have the "Report as Lost/Stolen" functionality; but I always assumed that was just to deactivate the SIM so it could not be used by someone else without affecting the ability to use the phone with a different SIM. (?) 

I don't know for sure — as I've never had an opportunity to test the theory. Perhaps they just don't blacklist period…

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 10
Master

dmapr wrote:

hme83 wrote:

I don't know for sure — as I've never had an opportunity to test the theory. Perhaps they just don't blacklist period…

Thank you for the clarification. Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 10
Explorer

hme83 wrote:

dmapr wrote:

hme83 wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. Smiley Happy

UPDATE: I got a new SIM card free at an AT&T Corporate store, and it works just fine.

Terri

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

terribear62 wrote:

UPDATE: I got a new SIM card free at an AT&T Corporate store, and it works just fine.

Terri

Terri, thanks for the update and glad to hear it all works fine for you.

Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support