Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

Tutor

Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

I have 3 lines in a family plan. One of them uses an old iPhone 3G that is finishing its 2-year commitment (the other 2 use iPhone4s). I don't want to use the data plan on this 3G anymore, since my daughter only uses it for messaging and (very few) phone calls. However, she does use the "iPod side" of the 3G and sometimes its wifi so she really wants to keep her 3G while I really want to stop paying for a $15/month service I don't use at all.

I'm aware that an iPhone requires a data plan, but can't I use the iPhone as just a normal phone within my very same ATT family plan? I'm not talking about jailbraking or unlocking, but just to use my current (uncommited) iPhone as a normal ATT phone that happens to be also and iPod and a "mini-wifi-only-ipad".

78,044 Views
Message 1 of 93
Tutor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

@Tinagallo:

Thanks. It took me a while to realize how to get it. Forum newbie limitations, which just get worse with age ...

Message 16 of 93
Tutor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

@SeniorNewbie:

Thanks. You are right, no simple answer for this. The T-Mobile seems to be an attractive one though. Its either another smartphone of resort to google as my iPhone guru.

Message 17 of 93
Master

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

At least AT&T now has the option of a $15 data plan. Previously, it was $30 even if you used no data
Message 18 of 93
Professor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

and the required smartphone data requirement is not the same for the iPhone. The iPhone has always required a data plan since day one. Smartphones did not require a data plan until late 2009 so this a policy that has been set forth since 2007 and not even the retention dept can remove it if you threaten to leave

Message 19 of 93
ACE - Expert

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

 


@adelfi23 wrote:

@dwill05:

I see. It is understandable that they wouldn't allow a new smartphone to be used as a phone, since they are subsidizing it and need the two-year commitment to square out the costs. Also, they get brand loyalty with it, since one is less likely to change carriers after a 2-year contract in which no major issues happened and the service was fine. However, once this is done, it becomes less than justifiable to prevent a long term user to use his device as a simple phone. They are basically forcing me to carry an extra device for no reason and pushing me to other carriers out of frustration.


 

The requirement for data is not related to the 2-year commitment. Your 2-year commitment was for voice service only, not data. The requirement for data is because the iphone is a smartphone and all smartphones require a data plan whether they are in a 2-year contract or not. During your 2-year contract you could have switched to a non-smartphone and dropped the data plan at any time.

 

Good luck with finding a carrier that will allow a smartphone without a data plan.

 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 93
Contributor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

Just switch over to Pure_talk_usa.  They run on the Gsm network, and use att towers.  You cannot use data on their network, so you don't have to worry about it, and it's only $40 for unlimited talk and text.

Message 21 of 93
Tutor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

@JFizDaWiz:

Thanks for the clarification.

 

@sandblaster:

> Good luck with finding a carrier that will allow a smartphone without a data plan.

Thanks. It seems that your good wishes worked well at least three times.

 

1) T-Mobile requires a data plan on smartphones purchased with a contract and also demand that the data plan cannot be removed for the life of your contract. However, they don’t put a restriction to a compatible, unlocked phone (being smart or dumb) working in their voice plans.

2) AllTell seems to follow the same policy. That is, you buy a subsidized phone with them, you must have a data plan attached (although this doesn’t seem to be a permanent requirement as it is with T-mobile). If you have a compatible, unlocked phone, then you’re welcomed to use it in their voice plans.

3) As indicated by Alexmatl in his first post (message 21 of this thread), Pure_talk_usa might also be an option.

 

I don’t know about #3 above, but with T-Mobile and AllTell you must either spend money upfront in acquiring an unlocked smartphone or go to the unlocking route. In my particular case, it seems that if I opt for #1 or #2 above then I’m doomed to the latter because of my choice of an iPhone 3G with ATT. I just hope that the much-welcomed (even for those who want to stay with ATT) end of the ATT exclusivity would make things less frustrating for us users.

 

 

Message 22 of 93
Contributor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

 


@youngjm wrote:

 

Unfortunately until others do the same and leave in mass for the same reason, things will not change.  Keep in mind the opposite situation, you do not have a data plan, you try to do everything possible to cut off cellular data which is difficult to do and you get a Hugh bill and are looking for some relief.  Most carriers are following the same policy; if you have a smart phone, you must have the data plan.  If you switch to a basic phone for the term of your contract to meet that obligation, you may drop the data plan.

 


 

Turning off 3G data usage is quite easy with the iOS4.2 and later, just turn it off in the perferences.

I think more an more people will be leaving AT&T over this stupid policy. I know I'm already planning to switch my kids lines to Verizon this year, and the rest of the lines as soon as the contracts are up. If I need to get a separate phone for them to carry in addition to the old iPhone hand my downs, then it will be on a carrier that has better coverage at home and at school for them. 

 

 

Message 23 of 93
Expert

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan


@stevesreed wrote:

 


@youngjm wrote:

 

Unfortunately until others do the same and leave in mass for the same reason, things will not change.  Keep in mind the opposite situation, you do not have a data plan, you try to do everything possible to cut off cellular data which is difficult to do and you get a Hugh bill and are looking for some relief.  Most carriers are following the same policy; if you have a smart phone, you must have the data plan.  If you switch to a basic phone for the term of your contract to meet that obligation, you may drop the data plan.

 


 

Turning off 3G data usage is quite easy with the iOS4.2 and later, just turn it off in the perferences.

I think more an more people will be leaving AT&T over this stupid policy. I know I'm already planning to switch my kids lines to Verizon this year, and the rest of the lines as soon as the contracts are up. If I need to get a separate phone for them to carry in addition to the old iPhone hand my downs, then it will be on a carrier that has better coverage at home and at school for them. 

 

 


what "stupid policy" you mean the one that requires data plans on smartphones? Try getting a smartphone from verizon or sprint and see how far you get when you try to not add a data plan - no where, won't happen. You might still be able to get one from T-Mobile IF you pay full price for the phone, but I think they discontinued that also. Try Cricket or Metro-PCS then might do it, but not usre.

 

No matter what you say - Verizon requires a data plan with their iphone and the smartphones that they sell, try qmd devices they might fit your payment plan better

Message 24 of 93
Master

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

You do realize that turning off 3G in the settings is not the same thing as turning off cellular data? Turning off 3G leaves you in edge or GPRS. The is no standard setting to disable cellular data.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 25 of 93
Master

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

 


@youngjm wrote:
The is no standard setting to disable cellular data.

 

Sure there is,  Cellular Data [ON|OFF]   Smiley Wink

 

 

Message 26 of 93
Professor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

Or, just turn on airplane mode. And, additionally, turning on wifi gives you the ability to use many of the device's functions (including texting and even voice calls with free apps like TextFree), without using any cell data.
Message 27 of 93
Tutor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

 


@sandblaster wrote:

 


@adelfi23 wrote:

@dwill05:

I see. It is understandable that they wouldn't allow a new smartphone to be used as a phone, since they are subsidizing it and need the two-year commitment to square out the costs. Also, they get brand loyalty with it, since one is less likely to change carriers after a 2-year contract in which no major issues happened and the service was fine. However, once this is done, it becomes less than justifiable to prevent a long term user to use his device as a simple phone. They are basically forcing me to carry an extra device for no reason and pushing me to other carriers out of frustration.


 

The requirement for data is not related to the 2-year commitment. Your 2-year commitment was for voice service only, not data. The requirement for data is because the iphone is a smartphone and all smartphones require a data plan whether they are in a 2-year contract or not. During your 2-year contract you could have switched to a non-smartphone and dropped the data plan at any time.

 

Good luck with finding a carrier that will allow a smartphone without a data plan.

 


 

If I currently use a non-smart phone (with no data plan), get an iphone with a 2-year contract (plus a data plan), but then decide I don't need the iphone and really switch back to using my old non-smart phone, will I be required to keep the data plan???

 

What about if I do the same, but get a blackberry instead of an iphone?

Message 28 of 93
Expert

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan


@FAN4LIFE wrote:

 


@sandblaster wrote:

 


@adelfi23 wrote:

@dwill05:

I see. It is understandable that they wouldn't allow a new smartphone to be used as a phone, since they are subsidizing it and need the two-year commitment to square out the costs. Also, they get brand loyalty with it, since one is less likely to change carriers after a 2-year contract in which no major issues happened and the service was fine. However, once this is done, it becomes less than justifiable to prevent a long term user to use his device as a simple phone. They are basically forcing me to carry an extra device for no reason and pushing me to other carriers out of frustration.


 

The requirement for data is not related to the 2-year commitment. Your 2-year commitment was for voice service only, not data. The requirement for data is because the iphone is a smartphone and all smartphones require a data plan whether they are in a 2-year contract or not. During your 2-year contract you could have switched to a non-smartphone and dropped the data plan at any time.

 

Good luck with finding a carrier that will allow a smartphone without a data plan.

 


 

If I currently use a non-smart phone (with no data plan), get an iphone with a 2-year contract (plus a data plan), but then decide I don't need the iphone and really switch back to using my old non-smart phone, will I be required to keep the data plan???

 

What about if I do the same, but get a blackberry instead of an iphone?


Balckberry still requires that data plan, if you return either within the first 30 days starting from purchase you can switch back to your old phone and the data plan is removed, Day 31 on you owe the etf which is 325.00 for smartphones prorated

Message 29 of 93
Tutor

Re: Using iPhone 3G with no data plan

 


@wingrider01 wrote:

@FAN4LIFE wrote:

 


@sandblaster wrote:

 


@adelfi23 wrote:

@dwill05:

I see. It is understandable that they wouldn't allow a new smartphone to be used as a phone, since they are subsidizing it and need the two-year commitment to square out the costs. Also, they get brand loyalty with it, since one is less likely to change carriers after a 2-year contract in which no major issues happened and the service was fine. However, once this is done, it becomes less than justifiable to prevent a long term user to use his device as a simple phone. They are basically forcing me to carry an extra device for no reason and pushing me to other carriers out of frustration.


 

The requirement for data is not related to the 2-year commitment. Your 2-year commitment was for voice service only, not data. The requirement for data is because the iphone is a smartphone and all smartphones require a data plan whether they are in a 2-year contract or not. During your 2-year contract you could have switched to a non-smartphone and dropped the data plan at any time.

 

Good luck with finding a carrier that will allow a smartphone without a data plan.

 


 

If I currently use a non-smart phone (with no data plan), get an iphone with a 2-year contract (plus a data plan), but then decide I don't need the iphone and really switch back to using my old non-smart phone, will I be required to keep the data plan???

 

What about if I do the same, but get a blackberry instead of an iphone?


Balckberry still requires that data plan, if you return either within the first 30 days starting from purchase you can switch back to your old phone and the data plan is removed, Day 31 on you owe the etf which is 325.00 for smartphones prorated


Thanks.  What about timing?  How long do I need to keep the data plan for?  (Assuming I stop using the smart phone as soon as I don't need the data plan.)

 

Message 30 of 93
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support