Helpful Links

Using gps to track teenagers

Highlighted

Using gps to track teenagers

Is there a way to use GPS to track the location of phones on my account? I want to be able to verify the location of the teen carrying the phone.
Message 1 of 8

Re: Using gps to track teenagers

AT&T does not offer this service however there are several companies that can offer cell-phone tracking.  Just google "cell phone tracking". 
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Yes, there are 3rd parties who do gps cell phone tracking, but I have yet to find an AT&T phone that a teenager would want that has both GPS and java enabled.  Teenagers don't want Blackberries or Windows Mobile PDA phones.  Does anyone know of a slider or flip phone that AT&T supports that will allow 3rd party Java applications to access the GPS capabilities?  I'm ready to give up and buy a Boost Mobile phone.
Message 3 of 8
Scholar

How about the iPhone or the HTC Fuze or the LG Incite? I'm moderately young and I have tons of friends that have and love those phones. They all have GPS and Java and everything else built in and hidden away. But the funniest thing is the screen name of the user who started this thread "stalker mom" ...that's either really awesome or really creepy lol
Message 4 of 8
Scholar

re: stalkermom (still awesome & creepy)... I found the following software which seems like you can track friends (or your children) as well as locate yourself and you phone should it get lost or stolen. check it out here.... Navizon Free GPS tracking software  Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet because I'm waiting on a reply to find out if the maps are stored locally (like Garmin) or via a data connection (like Google Maps). Could be important if you don't have an unlimited data plan (like I don't).
Message 5 of 8

Dude, it's like your mom always knows where you are... its like she's a stalker or something... My son was about 10 at the time and yes I did always know where he was... thus the nicname "Stalkermom" which continues to this day.... Thanks for the info, I'm checking out the Navizon.
Message 6 of 8
Professor

What kind of phones do they have? For basic phones, they would need to use the Java apps, which defeats the purpose, because phones cannot autostart Java applications...
Message 7 of 8
Former Moderator

stalkermom wrote:
Is there a way to use GPS to track the location of phones on my account? I want to be able to verify the location of the teen carrying the phone.

Please take a look at AT&T newest feature, FamilyMap and our new AT&T FamilyMap Board.

mod.moose
Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support