Using a regular sim card in a GoPhone? Ordering online?

Contributor

Using a regular sim card in a GoPhone? Ordering online?

Hello! My daughter is off at college and she dropped her phone and it is no longer working. I called and talked with someone at AT&T and he said we could buy a Go Phone and she could put her current sim card in it and use that for now.

My qusetion is about ordering a Go Phone online for that purpose. She likes the Pantech Link refurbished GoPhone that they currently have online. If I am orderng it for her to use with her current sim card and do not want to activate it as a Go Phone, which options do I choose for the monthly plan/minutes when checking out online? Can I just choose the 10 cents a minute plan which does not cost anything? And then when we receive the phone, she just has to put her current sim card in it and it will work as a regular phone?

Also, we don't have any extra data packages on our plan, just unlimited text, will the pantech link work without a data package?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4 (13,493 Views)
Professor

Re: Using a regular sim card in a GoPhone? Ordering online?

[ Edited ]

Aussie123 wrote:

Hello! My daughter is off at college and she dropped her phone and it is no longer working. I called and talked with someone at AT&T and he said we could buy a Go Phone and she could put her current sim card in it and use that for now.

My qusetion is about ordering a Go Phone online for that purpose. She likes the Pantech Link refurbished GoPhone that they currently have online. If I am orderng it for her to use with her current sim card and do not want to activate it as a Go Phone, which options do I choose for the monthly plan/minutes when checking out online? Can I just choose the 10 cents a minute plan which does not cost anything? And then when we receive the phone, she just has to put her current sim card in it and it will work as a regular phone?

Also, we don't have any extra data packages on our plan, just unlimited text, will the pantech link work without a data package?

Thank you!

You will need to purchase the GoPhone without choosing any plan. Then when the GoPhone arrives, your daughter can just insert the SIM card (I am assuming that you are on a 2-year contract with the phone that was broken). That's how you get a new phone working using the original contract.

The question boils down to how to purchase the Pantech Link without signing up for the prepaid plan that you don't want. I only know that you can purchase one from a store in person without signing up for a prepaid plan. I don't really know how to purchase one online without a prepaid plan. If you deselect the prepaid plans, can you get to the final checkout online?

The Pantech Link is not a smartphone and will not require a data plan.

Let's hear from those who purchased a Gophone online how they can skip adding the prepaid plan.

Message 2 of 4 (13,475 Views)

When I ordered a GoPhone on line, I had to specify one of their prepaid plans, but I did not have to pay any money for the plan, when I ordered.  If I had wanted to use that phone on post-paid, I could have just put a post-paid SIM into the phone.  You don't have to worry about buying pre-paid airtime.

Message 3 of 4 (13,462 Views)
Highlighted
Master

I've ordered new prepaid phones on-line from at&t and I've just chosen the "Simple" rate plan during check out.  Then as has already been stated, you'll just use the new phone with your daughter's existing SIM. 

Do not activate the SIM that comes with the new phone or the phone/SIM will likely be "locked" to one another and you'll need at&t's intervention to resolve it.  You can just keep the unused SIM on hand as a spare - it may be able to be used in the future should you need a replacement.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 4 (13,442 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.