Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 27, 2011
1:28:23 PM
View profile
Using a "3G" SIM card in a Samsung Infuse 4G?

Hi,

My wife recently switched to an iPhone, leaving me with a Samsung Infuse 4G.  I have an old Nokia XpressMusic, and figured I'd give this new phone a try.  My existing SIM card is labeled "3g".  I tried placing it in the Infuse 4G, and the phone portion certainly works, but I cannot access any network services.

I'm guessing this is because my old phone is 3G and works off of the AT&T Media Net GPRS network, and the new phone can't operate in this way.  Or is there a way to make this work?  I'd love to use this new phone, but I don't want to have to upgrade my current plan.  I don't really care about speed, I just want to be able to check email while I'm out and about.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Hi,

My wife recently switched to an iPhone, leaving me with a Samsung Infuse 4G.  I have an old Nokia XpressMusic, and figured I'd give this new phone a try.  My existing SIM card is labeled "3g".  I tried placing it in the Infuse 4G, and the phone portion certainly works, but I cannot access any network services.

I'm guessing this is because my old phone is 3G and works off of the AT&T Media Net GPRS network, and the new phone can't operate in this way.  Or is there a way to make this work?  I'd love to use this new phone, but I don't want to have to upgrade my current plan.  I don't really care about speed, I just want to be able to check email while I'm out and about.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Using a "3G" SIM card in a Samsung Infuse 4G?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 1:31:47 PM
(0)
Professor

You need a smartphone data plan in order to use any smartphone on AT&T.

You need a smartphone data plan in order to use any smartphone on AT&T.

Re: Using a "3G" SIM card in a Samsung Infuse 4G?

2 of 10 (8,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 1:35:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

OK, I figured as much.  So there's no way to enable an older, slower network access mode with this new phone?

OK, I figured as much.  So there's no way to enable an older, slower network access mode with this new phone?

3 of 10 (8,157 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 1:42:28 PM
(0)
Professor

You should be able to use the SIM card, but need to activate a data plan. If not, you can go to any AT&T store and pick up a new SIM card, usually for no charge.

You should be able to use the SIM card, but need to activate a data plan. If not, you can go to any AT&T store and pick up a new SIM card, usually for no charge.

4 of 10 (8,152 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2011 1:51:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks, Max. 

To clarify, I already have a data plan on the existing account, but I'm guessing AT&T is smart enough to block smart phones from being able to use the older data services.  I just wanted to check to see if there was anything I was missing. Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Thanks, Max. 

To clarify, I already have a data plan on the existing account, but I'm guessing AT&T is smart enough to block smart phones from being able to use the older data services.  I just wanted to check to see if there was anything I was missing. Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

5 of 10 (8,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2012 2:06:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

The problem is ONLY that you APN setting are wrong.

"Google" APN setting AT&T

and you'll find some tutorials.

When you put a 3G sim into a 4G card the APN gets

dummied up.  Probably done on purpose by the MAN.

I've successfully fixed this moving a 3G sim to a Samsung (?) w/Keyboard.

I even get 4G data packets.  AND I'm on PREPAID to boot!!! :-)

Wish me luck that they don't track me down and disable my account!
:-)

Joe F

The problem is ONLY that you APN setting are wrong.

"Google" APN setting AT&T

and you'll find some tutorials.

When you put a 3G sim into a 4G card the APN gets

dummied up.  Probably done on purpose by the MAN.

I've successfully fixed this moving a 3G sim to a Samsung (?) w/Keyboard.

I even get 4G data packets.  AND I'm on PREPAID to boot!!! :-)

Wish me luck that they don't track me down and disable my account!
:-)

Joe F

6 of 10 (7,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2012 1:48:29 PM
(0)
Employee
The old non smartphone data plans use the wap. cingular APN and your phone is set up to use the PHONE APN. you need a smartphone data plan because even if you go around it they'll catch on and add it anyways
The old non smartphone data plans use the wap. cingular APN and your phone is set up to use the PHONE APN. you need a smartphone data plan because even if you go around it they'll catch on and add it anyways
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 10 (7,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2012 7:23:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Would he also need to get re-provisioned to go from the 3G network to the 4G?

I know that was an issue for me when I went from my Captivate to the Infuse. Although I already had the "smartphone data plan."

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Would he also need to get re-provisioned to go from the 3G network to the 4G?

I know that was an issue for me when I went from my Captivate to the Infuse. Although I already had the "smartphone data plan."

Sent from my Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE

8 of 10 (7,632 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2012 8:36:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

Does pre-paid vs post-paid make any difference?

9 of 10 (7,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2012 8:52:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

atandtforumjoef wrote:

It's been a while since I had  a Go Phone account, but I wasn't sure if Go Phones have 4G phones available?

Now I'm pretty sure you can take a 4G phone, but it outright, and use it on the account, but I'm thinking a problem could arise if the phone is always seartching for a 4G signal when you SIM Card is not provisioned nor the account is set up for it.

Looking on the website I didn't see any "official" 4G phones for sale.

atandtforumjoef wrote:

It's been a while since I had  a Go Phone account, but I wasn't sure if Go Phones have 4G phones available?

Now I'm pretty sure you can take a 4G phone, but it outright, and use it on the account, but I'm thinking a problem could arise if the phone is always seartching for a 4G signal when you SIM Card is not provisioned nor the account is set up for it.

Looking on the website I didn't see any "official" 4G phones for sale.

Sent from my Android powered Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE

10 of 10 (7,616 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments