Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

Contributor

Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

I've looked through all the posts about this topic but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Can anyone tell me if I can use my prepaid Sim card in the Iphone 3GS, then activate and sign and 2 yr contract as normal?

I have the chance to buy a used 3GS but need a Sim card for it. I DO plan to activate the phone as normal and sign the 2 year contract. Then use the phone as the manufacturer intended.

Message 1 of 13 (31,488 Views)
Guru

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

 


joeimonroe wrote:

I've looked through all the posts about this topic but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Can anyone tell me if I can use my prepaid Sim card in the Iphone 3GS, then activate and sign and 2 yr contract as normal?

I have the chance to buy a used 3GS but need a Sim card for it. I DO plan to activate the phone as normal and sign the 2 year contract. Then use the phone as the manufacturer intended.


a little confused if you are bringing your own device there is no 2 year contract. even for new accoutns you are only contract bound if they are subsidizing the phone for you. But if you are going to go from Pre-paid to post paid you will need a new sim card anyways. They can transfer your number from Pre-Paid to post paid but i beleive you would still need a new sim card.

 

Message 2 of 13 (31,477 Views)
Contributor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

So, in other words, it wouldnt pay for me to buy a used iPhone if I don't have a regular (NON prepaid) Sim card to put in it? 

Message 3 of 13 (31,471 Views)
Mentor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

buy the phone, then take it to an ATT store to activate it, they will put the sim card in and take care of all that for ya

Message 4 of 13 (31,462 Views)
Professor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

 


joeimonroe wrote:

So, in other words, it wouldnt pay for me to buy a used iPhone if I don't have a regular (NON prepaid) Sim card to put in it? 


 

iPhones are not authorized for use on prepaid accounts.  It is a voilation of AT&T's TOS to utilize an iPhone with a prepaid account.

 

Why do you want to put the prepaid SIM in the phone if your intent is to switch to post paid anyways?

 

You can go to AT&T, sign up for post paid service, port the number and get a new SIM all in one stop.

 

What are we missing that you are trying to accomplish here?

Message 5 of 13 (31,412 Views)
Guru

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

I think you can get the new sim card for free or $25 depending on the cs.
Message 6 of 13 (31,408 Views)
Contributor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

It IS possible. I bought a 3GS yesterday and put my prepaid GoPhone sim card in it, and it works fine. The only problem I'm having is that I can't get the internet to work, but I can deal without that if need be. I actually am going to sign up for a contract once I turn 18 in October, but I wanted the iPhone now. But it IS possibe. My iPhone isn't unlocked or anything.

Message 7 of 13 (31,092 Views)
Professor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

[ Edited ]

emilyelyse wrote:

It IS possible. I bought a 3GS yesterday and put my prepaid GoPhone sim card in it, and it works fine. The only problem I'm having is that I can't get the internet to work, but I can deal without that if need be. I actually am going to sign up for a contract once I turn 18 in October, but I wanted the iPhone now. But it IS possibe. My iPhone isn't unlocked or anything.


The reason why you can't use the internet is because the iPhone requires a monthly payment, not a Go payment. The iPhone requires a monthly contract plan and you can not use data on a Pre-Payment plan on any iPhone nor most of the smartphones.

 

AT&T only accepts Go sims on Go phones or similar. Under TOS you need to have a monthly contract on most normal and smart phones.

Message 8 of 13 (31,070 Views)
Professor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

The fact that you can put a pre-paid SIM in an iPhone and it physically works doesn't mean that it's not a violation of the TOS. Data won't work because you don't have the required iPhone data plan.
Message 9 of 13 (31,057 Views)
Contributor

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

I was using the sim card in a Blackjack 2, and the internet was working fine. Everything else works fine, though. I can make calls and send texts.

Message 10 of 13 (31,039 Views)
Scholar

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

I have a two year contract with ATT on my Iphone 3Gs.  What is the cheapest way to have the same service as I have here at home when I travel aboard? Thanks in advance for the help!

Message 11 of 13 (22,135 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

 


Waterlily29 wrote:

I have a two year contract with ATT on my Iphone 3Gs.  What is the cheapest way to have the same service as I have here at home when I travel aboard? Thanks in advance for the help!


Unfortunately, if you want to continue using your Iphone while travelling abroad, there are no cheap alternatives other than for data use wifi whenever possible. Depending on where you travel, phone calls cost a minimum of $1/minute and higher and the international data and texting plans are not cheap either.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 13 (22,126 Views)
Scholar

Re: Using a prepaid Sim card in the iPhone 3GS

Thank you for the reply!Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13 (22,117 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.