Ask a question

Posted May 30, 2012
    3:44:33 PM
    Using a Phone without Contract

Hello,

Hello, just a question. I own a smartphone with a data plan, though I am out of contract.

Now, a friend of mine bought an ATT smartphone a couple of months ago, added a dataplan but never activated it. Instead, he went for one of the newer Iphones and activated it in store, and got himself into a 2yr agreement with the Iphone.
    -- Since he hasn't activated the other smartphone, can he give it to me to use?
    -- Do I just swap my SIM card into the new smartphone - I think they both use the mini version?
    -- Do I have to call ATT to activate it? 
    -- And would it add a 2 year agreement, since I didn't buy it?

Thanks - MN

Using a Phone without Contract

2 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (2)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 30, 2012 4:10:38 PM
    (0)
    Expert

MannyNoela wrote:

Hello,

Hello, just a question. I own a smartphone with a data plan, though I am out of contract.

Now, a friend of mine bought an ATT smartphone a couple of months ago, added a dataplan but never activated it. Instead, he went for one of the newer Iphones and activated it in store, and got himself into a 2yr agreement with the Iphone.
    -- Since he hasn't activated the other smartphone, can he give it to me to use?
    -- Do I just swap my SIM card into the new smartphone - I think they both use the mini version?
    -- Do I have to call ATT to activate it? 
    -- And would it add a 2 year agreement, since I didn't buy it?

Thanks - MN

confusing but depends - if they paid full retail price the phone then there is no issue, if he obtained the phone at a subsidized price - then it could get a little sticky. You need to see how much he actually paid for that phone - and hopefully a receipt showing that what he paid. If it is subsidized I am curious on how he got away without activating it.

Re: Using a Phone without Contract

2 of 3 (1,020 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 15, 2012 12:27:44 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Yep. If he got the other phone and the Iphone at a discount from ATT then he has to send one of them back or get charged.

If he paid full price for either of the phone then you're good to go!

Re: Using a Phone without Contract

3 of 3 (786 Views)