Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 4, 2011
9:18:41 AM
View profile
Using US-bought AT&T iPhone 4 in the UK

I currently have a 2-year contract with AT&T for my iPhone 4. I am moving permanently to the UK in April and am hoping to find alternatives to avoid the early termination fee (ETF) since I have to leave the country at short notice. Does AT&T have partners in service providers in the UK to whom I can have my current plan transferred without incurring the ETF? What other options do I have: can I sell my iPhone in the US and/ transfer my plan to somebody here? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

I currently have a 2-year contract with AT&T for my iPhone 4. I am moving permanently to the UK in April and am hoping to find alternatives to avoid the early termination fee (ETF) since I have to leave the country at short notice. Does AT&T have partners in service providers in the UK to whom I can have my current plan transferred without incurring the ETF? What other options do I have: can I sell my iPhone in the US and/ transfer my plan to somebody here? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Using US-bought AT&T iPhone 4 in the UK

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2011 3:40:10 PM
(0)
Master

AT&T nor Apple will not provide an unlock code for your iPhone to allow you to use it on a different carrier.

AT&T will try to keep you as a customer instead so they can bill you for the international roaming service.  But I would not recommend that as it would be prohibitively expensive.

You can sell your iPhone and use the money from it to help you get one there or to cover the Early Termination fees.

About the only way to avoid the early termination fee is to have someone take over your account and service obligation.  If you can find someone, you will want to do a Transfer of Billing Responsibility.

How do I transfer my wireless phone number to another person, to a separate account, or to AT&T from...
To initiate the Transfer of Billing Responsibility process, or to check the status of a pending transfer, please select from one of the following: Task Refer to: Transfer of Billing Responsibility Transfer your wireless number to another person Transfer my wireless phone number Accept Transfer of Billing Responsibility Accept the transfer of a wireless phone number from another person Accept the transfer of a wireless phone number Move to a New Location Move your current account to a different market (relocation
Can another person take over my account?
Other topic of interest: Where can I get the form to start a Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR) online?
What is Transfer of Billing Responsibility?
Where can I get the form to start a Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR) online?
Where can I get the form to start a Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR) online?

AT&T nor Apple will not provide an unlock code for your iPhone to allow you to use it on a different carrier.

AT&T will try to keep you as a customer instead so they can bill you for the international roaming service.  But I would not recommend that as it would be prohibitively expensive.

You can sell your iPhone and use the money from it to help you get one there or to cover the Early Termination fees.

About the only way to avoid the early termination fee is to have someone take over your account and service obligation.  If you can find someone, you will want to do a Transfer of Billing Responsibility.

How do I transfer my wireless phone number to another person, to a separate account, or to AT&T from ...
To initiate the Transfer of Billing Responsibility process, or to check the status of a pending transfer, please select from one of the following: Task Refer to: Transfer of Billing Responsibility Transfer your wireless number to another person Transfer my wireless phone number Accept Transfer of Billing Responsibility Accept the transfer of a wireless phone number from another person Accept the transfer of a wireless phone number Move to a New Location Move your current account to a different market (relocation
Can another person take over my account?
Other topic of interest: Where can I get the form to start a Transfer of Billing Responsibility (ToBR) online?

Re: Using US-bought AT&T iPhone 4 in the UK

2 of 2 (2,838 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments