Using Newest GoPhone With Regular Contract SIM Card

Teacher

Using Newest GoPhone With Regular Contract SIM Card

I just bought a new U2800a GoPhone and I plan to insert my current regular contract SIM card and use it as a phone on my regular AT&T account which has no contract at the present time

I want to do this rather than upgrade or replace and being required to have a new 2 year contract on some other AT&T phone right now. By using a GoPhone temporarily, I'll still be eligible to buy an iPhone 5 at the fully discounted price when I get ready to. So, I just need a phone for the interim period of a month or three...

Does anyone know for sure whether:

1. There are any AT&T hidden contract terms that REQUIRE me to activate the included GoPhone SIM card in my new U2800a phone? Or, if there are any penalties if I never activate the GoPhone SIM?

2. Will firing up the new ohone with my existing service SIM card "lock" my SIM card to this new phone in any way? I still want to be able to move my SIM card to any other phone I may buy in the interim.

3. Any other unforseen complications doing this?

Thanks for any factual answers to these questions...

Message 1 of 4 (3,392 Views)

Re: Using Newest GoPhone With Regular Contract SIM Card

[ Edited ]

flyprivate wrote:

I just bought a new U2800a GoPhone and I plan to insert my current regular contract SIM card and use it as a phone on my regular AT&T account which has no contract at the present time

I want to do this rather than upgrade or replace and being required to have a new 2 year contract on some other AT&T phone right now. By using a GoPhone temporarily, I'll still be eligible to buy an iPhone 5 at the fully discounted price when I get ready to. So, I just need a phone for the interim period of a month or three...

Does anyone know for sure whether:

1. There are any AT&T hidden contract terms that REQUIRE me to activate the included GoPhone SIM card in my new U2800a phone? Or, if there are any penalties if I never activate the GoPhone SIM?

2. Will firing up the new ohone with my existing service SIM card "lock" my SIM card to this new phone in any way? I still want to be able to move my SIM card to any other phone I may buy in the interim.

3. Any other unforseen complications doing this?

Thanks for any factual answers to these questions...

Cut-n-Paste from authoritative AT&T Statement at "Activate Your Phone" in:

https://www.wireless.att.com/GoPhoneWeb/goPhoneLanding.do?method=activatePayGo&lang=en_US

Are you replacing your phone?
If you already have wireless service with AT&T and you have the SIM card from your previous phone, all you need to do is insert the SIM card into your new phone and you are all set. You do not need to activate your new handset. 

1. No penalties.  Just insert your existing SIM on the new U2800A GoPhone (an entry-level Huawei phone using proprietary REX operating system).  Do not use, or better said, do not need to use, the SIM that came with the U2800A.
  2. No lockup.
  3. Current SIM is reusable on replacement phone without  changes on service as long as the existing Terms and Conditionsare met by the replacement (e.g. monthly limits on data for smartphones vis unlimited data use for feature phones)

Hope that helps.  Plug-and-Go.  Others may add to this.

Message 2 of 4 (3,370 Views)
Master

Yep, you are good to go; no penalties or gotchas.

Enjoy your new iPhone 5 when the time comes around!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 4 (3,354 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Yes you are good to go. Enjoy your soon-to-be iPhone 5. Enjoy the versatility of SIM based phones.

Message 4 of 4 (3,345 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.