Helpful Links

Use of wifi with prepaid AT&T cellular account

Contributor

Use of wifi with prepaid AT&T cellular account

I am considering opening the cellular account on my AT&T 3G-enabled iPad. I understand that when I do this I will have access to AT&T wifi hotspots, but I am unclear whether my data usage at these hotspots is counted as part of my 2GB monthly subscription. Similarly, when I am at home and in range of my personal wireless hub (which is subscribed through Verizon, not AT&T) will my data usage default to the wifi hub or to the cellular plan, and therefore will it also count against my 2GB subscription. Obviously I would expect to use my home network without using up my data allocation in this way. Thank you for any guidance here.
Message 1 of 3
Guru

Re: Use of wifi with prepaid AT&T cellular account

I was curious too.

Last week I was at a McDonalds with my 3G Ipad.

I noted the usage in Settings->General->Usage and also in www.att.com/ipadlanding and they matched.
I turned off 3G.

The iPad detected and connected to the McDonalds Hot-Spot after I selected it from the list the iPad gave me.

After using it for 15 minutes I left.

Before enabling 3G about an hour later I checked the iPad's Usage  and ipadlanding numbers and neither had changed.

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Use of wifi with prepaid AT&T cellular account

Good field test, schmidtj -- thanks for the insight! I will try turning off 3G at wifi hotspots and see how it goes. 

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support