Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 2, 2012
6:28:29 PM
Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?
Edited by Phil-101 on Jun 2, 2012 at 7:31:09 PM

I went to a non-at&t store to purchase an at&t Go (prepaied) phone with the intention of using a postpaid SIM in this prepaid phone. I was told by a store employee that even if would work in the prepaid phone, the carriers frown upon somethink like this; they can detect that a postpaid SIM is being used in the prepaid phone device, and they can shut down your phone service alltogether and cancel the contract. He told me that there a language to that effect in the wireless postpaid contract you sign when you acativated the service. Is this true? Needless to say, I did not buy that prepaid phone, because I do not want to take that chance. Can someone comment on this scenario, anyone that had a similar situation with postpaid service cutoff or had any warnings sent, etc.? Or do you think that this is just a hoax spread around by either uninformed or very cunning cell phone companies and their employees?

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

I went to a non-at&t store to purchase an at&t Go (prepaied) phone with the intention of using a postpaid SIM in this prepaid phone. I was told by a store employee that even if would work in the prepaid phone, the carriers frown upon somethink like this; they can detect that a postpaid SIM is being used in the prepaid phone device, and they can shut down your phone service alltogether and cancel the contract. He told me that there a language to that effect in the wireless postpaid contract you sign when you acativated the service. Is this true? Needless to say, I did not buy that prepaid phone, because I do not want to take that chance. Can someone comment on this scenario, anyone that had a similar situation with postpaid service cutoff or had any warnings sent, etc.? Or do you think that this is just a hoax spread around by either uninformed or very cunning cell phone companies and their employees?

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2012 10:00:58 PM
(0)
Professor
Yes you can use a GoPhone even if you are a contract (postpaid) customer. In the Quick Start Guide for GoPhone, there is an instruction for postpaid customers who want to use a GoPhone.

Read this discussion in this AT&T Wireless Forum http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-General-Care-and/using-postpaid-sim-in-prepaid-gophone/m-p/1865374...

Yes you can use a GoPhone even if you are a contract (postpaid) customer. In the Quick Start Guide for GoPhone, there is an instruction for postpaid customers who want to use a GoPhone.

Read this discussion in this AT&T Wireless Forum http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-General-Care-and/using-postpaid-sim-in-prepaid-gophone/m-p/1865374/highlight/true#M156395

Re: Use a Post-Paid SIM card in a GoPhone?

2 of 8 (19,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 11:07:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

http://www.wireless.att.com/download/payAsYouGo.pdf Is this the link for the Quick Start Guide for GoPhone you referred to in your post? See page 4 of 72.

http://www.wireless.att.com/download/payAsYouGo.pdf Is this the link for the Quick Start Guide for GoPhone you referred to in your post? See page 4 of 72.

3 of 8 (19,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 5:06:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ok, I see that the most recent language on this forum says I am not in violation of the TOS if I use my own sim card in a go phone (broken phone, in a real jam and had to have a solution)...

but I just received a text message saying that a data plan has been added to my account since Im using a go phone.   My issue is I ALREADY HAD AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN on this line... actually, the grandfathered in unlimited data plan at a really great price.   I looked online and cant tell if anything has changed or not but I dont want to end up LOOSING the data plan I had.

could that text message have just been some sort of formality and not necessarily indiciative of any changes to my data plan?

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Ok, I see that the most recent language on this forum says I am not in violation of the TOS if I use my own sim card in a go phone (broken phone, in a real jam and had to have a solution)...

but I just received a text message saying that a data plan has been added to my account since Im using a go phone.   My issue is I ALREADY HAD AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN on this line... actually, the grandfathered in unlimited data plan at a really great price.   I looked online and cant tell if anything has changed or not but I dont want to end up LOOSING the data plan I had.

could that text message have just been some sort of formality and not necessarily indiciative of any changes to my data plan?

4 of 8 (19,768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 7:55:45 PM
(0)
Professor

jitenved wrote:

The above link has the full guide. The quick start guide is a 4" x 5.5" guide that can be folded out. Inside the front cover of my quick start guide is:

Replacing your handset?

(Existing AT&T GoPhone or AT&T Contract Customers)

• Fully charge the battery.
  • Move your existing SIM card to new device and power on.

No activation required.

jitenved wrote:

The above link has the full guide. The quick start guide is a 4" x 5.5" guide that can be folded out. Inside the front cover of my quick start guide is:

Replacing your handset?

(Existing AT&T GoPhone or AT&T Contract Customers)

• Fully charge the battery.
  • Move your existing SIM card to new device and power on.

No activation required.

5 of 8 (19,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 8:00:14 PM
(0)
Professor

tamak wrote:

What is the make and model of your old phone?

tamak wrote:

What is the make and model of your old phone?

6 of 8 (19,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 8:26:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry, should have included:  it was a Samsung Impression (so NOT a smartphone)... the gophone IS, however, in the smartphone category....   and I understand all smartphones HAVE to have a data plan, but remember, the samsung Impression already had the grandfathered in unlimited data plan, so hopefully by using the gophone, I havent LOST that discontinued plan I got years and years ago.

Thanks.

Sorry, should have included:  it was a Samsung Impression (so NOT a smartphone)... the gophone IS, however, in the smartphone category....   and I understand all smartphones HAVE to have a data plan, but remember, the samsung Impression already had the grandfathered in unlimited data plan, so hopefully by using the gophone, I havent LOST that discontinued plan I got years and years ago.

Thanks.

7 of 8 (19,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2012 8:36:51 PM
(0)
Professor
It seems that what you have is the feature phone unlimited data plan. It is not quite the same as smartphone unlimited data plan. Best to call customer service that handles contract customers.

Best wishes.
It seems that what you have is the feature phone unlimited data plan. It is not quite the same as smartphone unlimited data plan. Best to call customer service that handles contract customers.

Best wishes.

8 of 8 (19,752 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments