Upgrading from original iphone with $20 unlimited data plan to 4S

Contributor

Upgrading from original iphone with $20 unlimited data plan to 4S

Yes, I still have the original iPhone and its $20 unlimited data plan and 200 texts.  Can I keep this plan when I upgrade or am I going to be forced to pay the $30 plan?

Message 1 of 5 (958 Views)
Professor

Re: Upgrading from original iphone with $20 unlimited data plan to 4S

You can keep the unlimited data, but the price is $30. No texts are included in the $30, so if you want texts, you have to pay separately. Basically, you move up the the current plans and rates, but get the option to keep unlimited data.
Message 2 of 5 (944 Views)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:
You can keep the unlimited data, but the price is $30. No texts are included in the $30, so if you want texts, you have to pay separately. Basically, you move up the the current plans and rates, but get the option to keep unlimited data.

This. Unfortunately, since AT&T has gotten rid of tiered messaging plans, it's either $20 for unlimited messaging ($30 for a family plan) or pay per go @ $0.20/msg. That's for incoming and outgoing.

Message 3 of 5 (921 Views)
Professor

Hmm, I knew they got rid of the $5/200 text plan that I'm still on, but they got rid of the next level, which I think is $10/1000, too? Bummer.
Message 4 of 5 (907 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

[ Edited ]

dwill05 wrote:
Hmm, I knew they got rid of the $5/200 text plan that I'm still on, but they got rid of the next level, which I think is $10/1000, too? Bummer.

Yep. They did that just recently. Seriously, the text messaging plans are pure profit for them. Text messages only use the dregs in a network. I believe a single text message (no multi-part) is just 140 bytes. 200 messages is just 27 kilobytes and 1000 messages is just 137 kilobytes. The pay per use rates for text messages are just unreasonable.

Even if you consider the $15/200MB data plan, that's only just $0.075/MB. The $10/1000TXT is around $75/MB, $5/200TXT is around $190/MB and with the $0.20 pay per use rate, that's like $1,498/MB.

Message 5 of 5 (900 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.