Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 13, 2012
5:18:05 PM
View profile
Upgrading a few weeks early?

I was wondering why I cannot upgrade a few weeks early? I want to upgrade to an android not an Iphone and I know you used to be able to for no extra charge 30 days early as long as you didnt have a bill past due and there are a few other requirements I think. But I pay any where from $250 to $300 a month. I have 5 phones all with internet. Now I even have the $50 5gb data plan on mine. I can see why someone couldnt that doesnt have a bunch of extra stuff on their account, but I have all kinds of extra features.

I was wondering why I cannot upgrade a few weeks early? I want to upgrade to an android not an Iphone and I know you used to be able to for no extra charge 30 days early as long as you didnt have a bill past due and there are a few other requirements I think. But I pay any where from $250 to $300 a month. I have 5 phones all with internet. Now I even have the $50 5gb data plan on mine. I can see why someone couldnt that doesnt have a bunch of extra stuff on their account, but I have all kinds of extra features.

Upgrading a few weeks early?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2012 2:33:01 AM
(0)
Professor
It's far more fair to have the same rules for everyone than to break it down into haves and have-nots so people don't cry about someone else getting something while they didn't. AT&T lets people upgrade on the 1st of the month that their upgrade comes, plus for most people their upgrade comes about 20 months into a 24 month contract. That seems early enough to me. What's a couple of weeks?
It's far more fair to have the same rules for everyone than to break it down into haves and have-nots so people don't cry about someone else getting something while they didn't. AT&T lets people upgrade on the 1st of the month that their upgrade comes, plus for most people their upgrade comes about 20 months into a 24 month contract. That seems early enough to me. What's a couple of weeks?

Re: Upgrading a few weeks early?

2 of 5 (6,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2012 10:37:35 AM
(0)
Contributor
Its not how it is done though. If you have more features you do get to upgrade earlier because it is more revenue. Att doesnt make money off of the phones they actually lose money. The money is made up through their monthly bills throughout the rest of the service agreement. When customers have all these extra features it lets them upgrade earlier. yea so it is a few weeks no big deal exactly so why cant an upgrade just be done?
Its not how it is done though. If you have more features you do get to upgrade earlier because it is more revenue. Att doesnt make money off of the phones they actually lose money. The money is made up through their monthly bills throughout the rest of the service agreement. When customers have all these extra features it lets them upgrade earlier. yea so it is a few weeks no big deal exactly so why cant an upgrade just be done?

3 of 5 (6,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2012 2:47:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Because for you it would be a few weeks. Somebody else would say you did his at 3 weeks, how about a month. The next person would say how about 2 months and it would go on and on.
AT&T must stick by their guns and do the same for everyone.
I thought AT&T did away with their earlier upgrade times for higher cost lines as 1 line on a family plan would be upgrade eligible and 1 or 2 other lines wouldn't be for another 6 or 8 months, so everyone complained about that. How come this line can be upgraded, we got all at the same time.
It is now pretty standard 20 months for everyone, i thought and you can only upgrade on the first day of the month that you're upgrade eligible. Otherwise you have to pay the early upgrade price of an extra $250.
Because for you it would be a few weeks. Somebody else would say you did his at 3 weeks, how about a month. The next person would say how about 2 months and it would go on and on.
AT&T must stick by their guns and do the same for everyone.
I thought AT&T did away with their earlier upgrade times for higher cost lines as 1 line on a family plan would be upgrade eligible and 1 or 2 other lines wouldn't be for another 6 or 8 months, so everyone complained about that. How come this line can be upgraded, we got all at the same time.
It is now pretty standard 20 months for everyone, i thought and you can only upgrade on the first day of the month that you're upgrade eligible. Otherwise you have to pay the early upgrade price of an extra $250.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (6,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2012 3:13:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

You should be able to upgrade a few weeks early. I just did. I was due for an upgrade on 03/04/12 and I just called customer service and asked if i can get an early upgrade. They approved it and waived the activation fee!!!

You should be able to upgrade a few weeks early. I just did. I was due for an upgrade on 03/04/12 and I just called customer service and asked if i can get an early upgrade. They approved it and waived the activation fee!!!

5 of 5 (6,754 Views)