Upgrade

Upgrade

I have a question. I have had my current contract since 8/2010. I had checked Jan6, 11 to see when i was eligible for an upgrade. I got a text from at&t stating I could upgrade 2/3,11 i double checked again on Jan 28 2011 and my upgrade date jumped to Jan 15 2012????? I made no changes to my plan at this time.  I was planing a wedding so i decided not to upgrade at the time. in 2/11 i added a second line for my husband. His contract started on 2/23/11 and he can upgrade on 2/23/12. I however check yesterday and my contract expires 8/12 and i can't update now till 4/15/12??? Does that sound right. He has had his phone a year and i will have had mine almost the full two years and cant upgrade pretty much till the contract is up?

Help me understand this

Message 1 of 9 (536 Views)
Expert

Re: Upgrade

Lively77904 wrote:

I have a question. I have had my current contract since 8/2010. I had checked Jan6, 11 to see when i was eligible for an upgrade. I got a text from at&t stating I could upgrade 2/3,11 i double checked again on Jan 28 2011 and my upgrade date jumped to Jan 15 2012????? I made no changes to my plan at this time.  I was planing a wedding so i decided not to upgrade at the time. in 2/11 i added a second line for my husband. His contract started on 2/23/11 and he can upgrade on 2/23/12. I however check yesterday and my contract expires 8/12 and i can't update now till 4/15/12??? Does that sound right. He has had his phone a year and i will have had mine almost the full two years and cant upgrade pretty much till the contract is up?

Help me understand this

it depends - are you on a family plan? If so the primary number is the one that upgrades first all the time no matter one. Upgrade eligibilty is based on a number of factors, primarly the cost of the line. In a family plan the bulk ot the cost is allocated to the primary line, voice costs, shared features, etc. The secondary lines only hafe the lower line cost plus any dedicated features like data plans.

Another thing that will change the eligibilty is late payments, so there are a lot of things that can cause it. Do you know whcih number is the primary if you are on a familiy plan?

Message 2 of 9 (524 Views)

The one that can upgrade in April is supposed to be the main number my husbands phone I added to min account he can upgrade next month. And I haven't been late often and if so it was a day. Usually as soon as the AT&T app alerts me that the bill is available I pay it. I usually get my emailed bill after I have already paid it.
Message 3 of 9 (520 Views)
Expert

Lively77904 wrote:
The one that can upgrade in April is supposed to be the main number my husbands phone I added to min account he can upgrade next month. And I haven't been late often and if so it was a day. Usually as soon as the AT&T app alerts me that the bill is available I pay it. I usually get my emailed bill after I have already paid it.

To just to clarify - you did create a family plan and you added to your husbands account as the second phone line - that would explain why your upgrade date changed.

Going on that assumption

On a family plan.. lets say 700 minute with texting and two smartphones with 2GB plan

primary - your husbands

60.00 - voice cost

30.00 - unlimited family texting

25.00 - data plan

-------

115.00 - of the bill credited to the primary line

09.99 - your phone line

25.00 - your data plan

-------

34.99 - of the bill credited to the secondary line

In this senario the primary line will be able to upgrade in a lot less time then the secondary line can, which appears to be the senario that you are saying, when you became the secondary line on the family plan that affected the upgrade date.

Like I said, this is all based on the assumption that you created a family plan

Message 4 of 9 (513 Views)

Ok but my date jumped a whole year BEFORE I created a family plan
Message 5 of 9 (510 Views)

And once again it's the secondary phone that is eligible for upgrade before the primary phone
Message 6 of 9 (509 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Lively77904 wrote:
And once again it's the secondary phone that is eligible for upgrade before the primary phone

then you need to call them and ask, or PM  with the details, sorry but I understood it the direct opposite of what you posted

Message 7 of 9 (505 Views)

Ok so I went to the AT&T store they were useless. They said they didn't know why my date jumped a year. And said the reason my secondary phone can upgrade first was that the associate that setup our family plan setup the secondary number as the primary. Did not know this. So basically all I got was we screwed up but we can't do anything about. This is Unacceptable I have been with A&T since it was Cingular! Over 12 years and nothing no sorry nothing just come back in February and upgrade and cross upgrade!?!?!?!? NOT HAPPY
Message 8 of 9 (487 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Lively77904 wrote:
Ok so I went to the AT&T store they were useless. They said they didn't know why my date jumped a year. And said the reason my secondary phone can upgrade first was that the associate that setup our family plan setup the secondary number as the primary. Did not know this. So basically all I got was we screwed up but we can't do anything about. This is Unacceptable I have been with A&T since it was Cingular! Over 12 years and nothing no sorry nothing just come back in February and upgrade and cross upgrade!?!?!?!? NOT HAPPY

try PMing Jamileh to get to the bottom of it

Message 9 of 9 (481 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.