Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 25, 2011
7:33:39 AM
View profile
Upgrade to iphone 4S will Apple /ATT unlock my old iphone 4? Or am I stuck with a useless phone?

Hi! I want to upgrade to an iPhone 4S.  I have a 1 year-old iPhone 4, but was wondering if Apple or ATT will legally unlock my old phone.  Or am I stuck with an unusable iPhone in great condition.  I wanted to give my old iPhone 4 to my sister but she's not with ATT.

What do people do with their old phones once they upgrade?

Hi! I want to upgrade to an iPhone 4S.  I have a 1 year-old iPhone 4, but was wondering if Apple or ATT will legally unlock my old phone.  Or am I stuck with an unusable iPhone in great condition.  I wanted to give my old iPhone 4 to my sister but she's not with ATT.

What do people do with their old phones once they upgrade?

Upgrade to iphone 4S will Apple /ATT unlock my old iphone 4? Or am I stuck with a useless phone?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 7:38:16 AM
(0)
Scholar

No, neither AT&T or Apple will unlock iPhones that were sold as locked to AT&T.

A simple search of the forums would have revealed the multitude of posts asking this same question and the answer.

No, neither AT&T or Apple will unlock iPhones that were sold as locked to AT&T.

A simple search of the forums would have revealed the multitude of posts asking this same question and the answer.

Re: Upgrade to iphone 4S will Apple /ATT unlock my old iphone 4? Or am I stuck with a useless phone?

2 of 10 (41,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 8:35:29 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by brainwaver on Nov 25, 2011 at 8:36:48 AM

As Ryan stated AT&T nor Apple will unlock your old iPhone 4. Sell it on Ebay or craigslist.

As Ryan stated AT&T nor Apple will unlock your old iPhone 4. Sell it on Ebay or craigslist.

Re: Upgrade to iphone 4S will Apple /ATT unlock my old iphone 4? Or am I stuck with a useless phone?

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (41,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 11:52:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hang on one second...

(turns and screams...)

Ok, Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Somehow you missed the other 1000 current threads restating the unchanged policy of AT&T to not unlock locked iPhones, ever, for any reason at all. Ever. Really really.

Most people sell or hand off their old iPhones. The resale value is very good. The hand me down value is also good. In both cases, the device will still be locked to AT&T.

Just like it says on the back of the box the phone came in.

Hang on one second...

(turns and screams...)

Ok, Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Somehow you missed the other 1000 current threads restating the unchanged policy of AT&T to not unlock locked iPhones, ever, for any reason at all. Ever. Really really.

Most people sell or hand off their old iPhones. The resale value is very good. The hand me down value is also good. In both cases, the device will still be locked to AT&T.

Just like it says on the back of the box the phone came in.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 10 (41,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 7:40:23 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thanks!
Thanks!

5 of 10 (41,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 2:57:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Like everyone else, I've read the 1000 comments about not unlocking the phone.  That said here's the official link:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB82027#fbid=5OBPuSVI7XK

What is the unlock code for my iPhone?

iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 215 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002#fbid=5OBPuSVI7XK

What is the unlock code for my phone?

Note: If your phone is an iPhone, the following information does not apply. Please see What is the unlock code for my iPhone? for more information.

Wireless phones purchased from AT&T generally come with locked SIMs, which potentially makes them incompatible with wireless service from non-AT&T providers.

To use an AT&T phone on another wireless network, you must unlock its SIM using an Unlock Code.

AT&T will provide the Unlock Code for phones on wireless plans if:

• Your wireless service has been active for 90 days or longer
  • Your account is current and in good standing
  • Your phone is not sold exclusively by us
  • Your phone's Unlock Code is available from the Manufacturer

AT&T will provide the Unlock Code for AT&T branded phones on Prepaid plans to customers who have either been on AT&T service for 6 months or longer, or provide a receipt or other proof of purchase. 

AT&T cannot provide Unlock Codes for iPhones and other non-eligible devices. See What is the unlock code for my iPhone? for details. 

Like everyone else, I've read the 1000 comments about not unlocking the phone.  That said here's the official link:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB82027#fbid=5OBPuSVI7XK

What is the unlock code for my iPhone?

iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 215 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=55002#fbid=5OBPuSVI7XK

What is the unlock code for my phone?

Note: If your phone is an iPhone, the following information does not apply. Please see What is the unlock code for my iPhone? for more information.

Wireless phones purchased from AT&T generally come with locked SIMs, which potentially makes them incompatible with wireless service from non-AT&T providers.

To use an AT&T phone on another wireless network, you must unlock its SIM using an Unlock Code.

AT&T will provide the Unlock Code for phones on wireless plans if:

• Your wireless service has been active for 90 days or longer
  • Your account is current and in good standing
  • Your phone is not sold exclusively by us
  • Your phone's Unlock Code is available from the Manufacturer

AT&T will provide the Unlock Code for AT&T branded phones on Prepaid plans to customers who have either been on AT&T service for 6 months or longer, or provide a receipt or other proof of purchase. 

AT&T cannot provide Unlock Codes for iPhones and other non-eligible devices. See What is the unlock code for my iPhone? for details. 

6 of 10 (40,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 10:28:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

cheap company ~~ verizon and sprint they do  , but the second biggest Tel company doesnot.  It's a shame!!

cheap company ~~ verizon and sprint they do  , but the second biggest Tel company doesnot.  It's a shame!!

7 of 10 (37,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 10:37:36 AM
(0)
Professor

kenmei520 wrote:

No they don't.  They will unlock the GSM side of an iPhone 4S for international use when certain conditions are met, but in the US the phones are still locked to Verizon or Sprint.  And with regard to the iPhone 4, the Verizon ones are locked to Verizon and Sprint never had the iPhone 4.

kenmei520 wrote:

No they don't.  They will unlock the GSM side of an iPhone 4S for international use when certain conditions are met, but in the US the phones are still locked to Verizon or Sprint.  And with regard to the iPhone 4, the Verizon ones are locked to Verizon and Sprint never had the iPhone 4.

8 of 10 (37,800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 10:42:56 AM
(0)
Guru

kenmei520 wrote:

Show us where Sprint or Verizon will unlock an iphone so you can use it with another carrier!

kenmei520 wrote:

Show us where Sprint or Verizon will unlock an iphone so you can use it with another carrier!

9 of 10 (35,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 12:51:16 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 22, 2012 at 12:53:58 PM

Facci wrote:

kenmei520 wrote:

sprint and verizon will unlock the gsm side of the iphone for international use only and there are very specfic requirements on how to do it, they will not fully unlock the phone for US use at all.

per their documentation and numerous 5th estate reporters if you review it.

iPhone 4S devices acquired from Sprint or Verizon will enable users to purchase a micro-SIM card from a carrier in the foreign country they are traveling to and place it inside their handsets, thus avoiding any unwanted charges.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the misinformation you received.  I have forwarded your email for training purposes so the next time you or anyone else calls, they get better information about our Global SIM unlock policy.  The quote you included in your email from me is accurate; we will unlock the SIM for global use as long as the criteria are met. The policy isn’t on our website primarily because CDMA technology doesn’t typically use SIM cards and with the introduction of 4G LTE devices which do use SIM cards (that can’t be unlocked), we felt we would confuse customers.  

When you travel internationally, you need to call Verizon Wireless before you leave the country and request to have international calling added to your account profile and if you want the SIM unlocked, you can request that option at the same time.  Even if you choose to not unlock the SIM, you need to call before you leave the country and add the international calling feature to your phone (there is no charge because this just provides the capability, not a plan).  For global data, you will need to add a data plan.  Keep in mind, that if you choose to purchase a local SIM while out of the country, the SIM brings with it a different phone number so those using your Verizon Wireless number will not be able to reach you directly unless you give them the new phone number.

Here is the link to our Global Services: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=why-verizon&section=international-services#internat...

Again, please my apologies for the confusion.

Brenda{Personal content removed}
Verizon Wireless
Executive Director
Corporate Communications

Facci wrote:

kenmei520 wrote:

sprint and verizon will unlock the gsm side of the iphone for international use only and there are very specfic requirements on how to do it, they will not fully unlock the phone for US use at all.

per their documentation and numerous 5th estate reporters if you review it.

iPhone 4S devices acquired from Sprint or Verizon will enable users to purchase a micro-SIM card from a carrier in the foreign country they are traveling to and place it inside their handsets, thus avoiding any unwanted charges.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the misinformation you received.  I have forwarded your email for training purposes so the next time you or anyone else calls, they get better information about our Global SIM unlock policy.  The quote you included in your email from me is accurate; we will unlock the SIM for global use as long as the criteria are met. The policy isn’t on our website primarily because CDMA technology doesn’t typically use SIM cards and with the introduction of 4G LTE devices which do use SIM cards (that can’t be unlocked), we felt we would confuse customers.  

When you travel internationally, you need to call Verizon Wireless before you leave the country and request to have international calling added to your account profile and if you want the SIM unlocked, you can request that option at the same time.  Even if you choose to not unlock the SIM, you need to call before you leave the country and add the international calling feature to your phone (there is no charge because this just provides the capability, not a plan).  For global data, you will need to add a data plan.  Keep in mind, that if you choose to purchase a local SIM while out of the country, the SIM brings with it a different phone number so those using your Verizon Wireless number will not be able to reach you directly unless you give them the new phone number.

Here is the link to our Global Services: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=why-verizon&section=international-services#internat...

Again, please my apologies for the confusion.

Brenda{Personal content removed}
Verizon Wireless
Executive Director
Corporate Communications

[ Edited ]
10 of 10 (35,070 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments