Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 15, 2011
6:50:39 AM
View profile
Upgrade to IOS 5 software now my phone can't be activated

Hello,

I am looking for any help or advise, I have an iPhone 3gs and I was using IOS 4.3.3. After reading all the advantages that the upgrade would provide to my iPhone I decided to upgrade, I was told to back it up then restore it in itunes. I have done all that now I get this this activation screen that says the servers are temporary unavailable to active my iPhone, does anyone have an idea of a time frame that this problem will be fixed? I contacted ATT support and let me say that was a total nightmare, first the system disconnected me 3 times, then when I got to someone they didn't know how long it would take and said it could days before the problem is fixed, I have never heard of that happening before and truthfully if it does I am done with ATT, so my main question is does anyone have any ideas on when ATT is going to fix the problem and allow iPhones to be activated?

Hello,

I am looking for any help or advise, I have an iPhone 3gs and I was using IOS 4.3.3. After reading all the advantages that the upgrade would provide to my iPhone I decided to upgrade, I was told to back it up then restore it in itunes. I have done all that now I get this this activation screen that says the servers are temporary unavailable to active my iPhone, does anyone have an idea of a time frame that this problem will be fixed? I contacted ATT support and let me say that was a total nightmare, first the system disconnected me 3 times, then when I got to someone they didn't know how long it would take and said it could days before the problem is fixed, I have never heard of that happening before and truthfully if it does I am done with ATT, so my main question is does anyone have any ideas on when ATT is going to fix the problem and allow iPhones to be activated?

Upgrade to IOS 5 software now my phone can't be activated

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 7:00:12 AM
(0)
Professor
I think only AT&T is going to have an idea of when their servers are going to recover, and even then it depends on how many people are trying to use them at any given time, which they can't control. I doubt you'll get an answer that says you'll be able to activate after 11:38 am. Just keep trying every few hours and eventually it will get through.
I think only AT&T is going to have an idea of when their servers are going to recover, and even then it depends on how many people are trying to use them at any given time, which they can't control. I doubt you'll get an answer that says you'll be able to activate after 11:38 am. Just keep trying every few hours and eventually it will get through.

Re: Upgrade to IOS 5 software now my phone can't be activated

2 of 5 (1,156 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 7:03:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

Try to do a restore first. I had the same problem. I downloaded the update to my computer first and then performed the update. I had initially received an error but found out later that it had nothing to do with my computer/iphone. The iphone/software regularly tries to communicate with Apple servers to make sure you have legit hardware. You'll have to be patient because a lot of people are trying to hit the same server as you are. It took a little time for me to get my wive's 3GS updated. The one thing I noticed is that about 90% of the people who have been posting lately--to include the 4S buyers--are very impatient.

Try to do a restore first. I had the same problem. I downloaded the update to my computer first and then performed the update. I had initially received an error but found out later that it had nothing to do with my computer/iphone. The iphone/software regularly tries to communicate with Apple servers to make sure you have legit hardware. You'll have to be patient because a lot of people are trying to hit the same server as you are. It took a little time for me to get my wive's 3GS updated. The one thing I noticed is that about 90% of the people who have been posting lately--to include the 4S buyers--are very impatient.

3 of 5 (1,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 2:13:43 PM
(0)
Teacher

The Apple store was having the same issue today when I got my new 3GS. He seemed very surprised that he was able to get the phone to update to the IOS 5 update.

The Apple store was having the same issue today when I got my new 3GS. He seemed very surprised that he was able to get the phone to update to the IOS 5 update.

4 of 5 (995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 2:16:22 PM
(0)
Mentor
It took my 3GS and iPad a while to upgrade. I kept getting disconnected from the server and both ended up restoring. I would recommend just restoring it, that should work. Good luck.
It took my 3GS and iPad a while to upgrade. I kept getting disconnected from the server and both ended up restoring. I would recommend just restoring it, that should work. Good luck.

5 of 5 (992 Views)