Helpful Links

Upgrade not eligible until after contract expires???

Master

Upgrade not eligible until after contract expires???

I just happened to check my account/line which was eligible for an upgrade a few months ago and was greeted to find out my date has changed and now I no longer eligible for an upgrade.

You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 08/10/2009

What makes this really funny is my contract expires 2 months before that date.  So ATT thinks I have to wait until almost 2 months AFTER my contract expires to be eligible for an upgrade.

From my OLAM

Contract end date 06/23/2009

I mean I can start a new line and get the reduced price and cancel the current line and get a new phone before the eligibility date so it's bogus.  It really doesn't matter as I'm not planning to get a new phone until the new iPhone is released which will be after my contract expires to its not a big deal.  But its funny and scary none the less that ATTs system has so many problems in this arena.  No wonder it makes people pull their hair out.

I'll think I'll still call customer service just to see how they try to talk their way around the problem and see what kind of answer they give me. 

Message Edited by Planet-Ed on 03-30-2009 01:19:59 AM
Message 1 of 13

Re: Upgrade not eligible until after contract expires???

If there are too many suspends/cancellations of service the upgrade date can even go past the contract date.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 13
Explorer

yes if you have more than 3 involuntary interruptions within 12 months then ur u[grade dates gets bumped, but changes are if ur out of contract n u wanna upgrade CC can get their managers to do an exception, mind you u cannot buy it online or thru any store like Walmart or radioshack
Message 3 of 13
Scholar

ATT is converting a lot of accounts from one billing system to another, but they can still process the upgrade for you, but you can't purchase online (due to it has to be overridden), will have to do it over the phone or in the store. Also an iphone upgrade will probably be next to impossible to get done.

Could be the case here as well...just something to look into. Lot of the southern markets are in the process of the conversion.

Message Edited by WirelessForeman on 04-07-2009 04:58:38 AM
Message 4 of 13
Master

scooterjes wrote:
If there are too many suspends/cancellations of service the upgrade date can even go past the contract date.

Yes, However, I have not had my contract supended or cancelled.  I pay my bill on time.  If fact I've had a negative balance the past few months since I've been overpaying.  I normally have around $10 credit (almost a $170 credit right now since I paid my next bill early that closes on the 7th).

Message 5 of 13

Then as another person posted ATT is converting people from 1 billing system to the other and there could be your problem I wasn't trying to accuse you just make a possible solution.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 13
Expert

Did you happen to do a relocation of service or a transfer of service for your number or did your number get moved to another account number (account consolidation but with same name and such), or did you happen to go to a local store to you and think of doing a upgrade but decided not to just before the upgrade was done.
Message 7 of 13
Master

No.  None of those things happened.  I haven't made any changes to my accout except for last Dec and that was to add an iPhone to my sons line (not this line).  I checked and his date is correct for when we got him his phone.

Message 8 of 13
Scholar

just call customer care and ask. It really sounds like your market may have been converted. I've seen upgrade reset issues like this happen when accounts were converted. It is an inconvenience for the customer, so they CAN override it, and will do their best to match pricing for you since it is not your fault (hopefully).

They can advise you if your account is a converted account or not.

Message 9 of 13
Expert

Planet-Ed wrote:

No.  None of those things happened.  I haven't made any changes to my accout except for last Dec and that was to add an iPhone to my sons line (not this line).  I checked and his date is correct for when we got him his phone.

When was the last upgrade that you did on your line of service. normal upgrade time is aprox 18 - 21 months  from alst upgrade that was done.

Message 10 of 13
Master

Honestly its been so long I don't remember.  I would assume it was 2 years before my contract end date since it would have required a 2 year extension at the upgrade time so about would put the last upgrade at around Jun 2007.

I swap phones and SIM cards more that a lot of people change their underwear its hard to track.

As stated it really doesn't matter.  The next phone I'm buying will be the next iPhone if they release around this July like rumored.

No matter what, the July date is past my contract expiration date so having an upgrade eligibiliy does not matter.  Worst case senario is I cancel my currant line since it will be out of contract and just add a new line and get the new line discount.  Solved and all the timeframes reset back to their normal schedule.

It was just odd that the "upgrade" date is after the "contract end" date esp when I'm on time with my payments and never had a problem.  If I had used an upgrade (which would have also required a 2 year contract extension) the new date still should not be past the contract end date without some reason.

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Scholar

Ed,   you been around along time...I know you where  here before me.

.And its been a few years for I.on this forum

BUT ANYWAYS.  I was talking to a supervisor in customer retention.  and she said ,IN   her own words.  they make more money from Old customers then new.

even with the free phone usually for the new customer.  they make more from the old.

she said why ,  usually someone who has been a few years into a contract starts understanding the perks of high end phones.  So in doing so .Usually the upgrade to a  top of the line phone.  which they then get ya for a PDA connection plan.  also upgrade fees, and a New two year contract.

With a new Customer , they usually get that  free.  phones, along with  free connection and or service establishment ..

So its free free free for the new customer.

and then With the ole one. 

its pay for phone. Oh ya need a PDA plan,  ya need more minutes. And oh  its also a fee for upgrades and two year agreement.

we get reamed in the long run!

Message 12 of 13

Did you know late payments can also push back your upgrade date. Don't blame the custoemr service reps they can only be the guinea pig who takes the calls & th people who make the changes to the rules don't talk to customers. The reps play the scapegoats & are always left to "make up" what happened & hope you accept it!!!

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support