Upgrade eligibility

Scholar

Upgrade eligibility

I have not been in contract for more than a year. In June 2011, a friend gave me an old iPhone and I placed my SIM chip in it, activated it, and added the required data plan. I just went online to see about my upgrade eligibility and it says not until June 2012, precisely one year after I activated the iPhone! Is this right? I didn't use my upgrade eligibility to buy anything from AT&T and thus received no discount/benefit when I switched to the used iPhone. I will contact CS if you all tell me they made a mistake, but I thought I would check here first before dealing with them. If my assumption is wrong, so be it. Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
Mentor

Re: Upgrade eligibility

upgrade eligibility is affected by many things... including changes to plans... such as the addition of an Iphone data package. You can call to confirm but it sounds legit to me.

Message 2 of 8
Professor

Yep, upgrades changes just happened recently too across the board. I think everyone was place on flat 20'month upgrade and no longer goes by the amount of our monthly bill (where the more we pay the sooner we could upgrade).. Anyone else have info on this flat - 20month upgrade ?
Message 3 of 8
Scholar

life02 wrote:

upgrade eligibility is affected by many things... including changes to plans... such as the addition of an Iphone data package. You can call to confirm but it sounds legit to me.

Nope. Since the phone was purchased outright, it shouldn't have affected the OP's eligibility. You can add features anytime without affecting your contract date.

@Sandpipers

Are you sure you didn't upgrade your device in 2010? You can check your contract end date on AT&T's website (under User Information). If you're already past your contract date, call AT&T customer service so they can correct the error. Replacing your device with one that's bought and fully paid for shouldn't have changed your upgrade eligibility date.

Message 4 of 8
Expert

RicoLX wrote:
Yep, upgrades changes just happened recently too across the board. I think everyone was place on flat 20'month upgrade and no longer goes by the amount of our monthly bill (where the more we pay the sooner we could upgrade).. Anyone else have info on this flat - 20month upgrade ?

Don't think it has been changed across the board, just checked the upgrade date on the primary line, still 11/09/2011, definately not 20 months out from when I got the phone, 18 months and 1 day since the phone was obtained

Message 5 of 8
Highlighted

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

Don't think it has been changed across the board, just checked the upgrade date on the primary line, still 11/09/2011, definately not 20 months out from when I got the phone, 18 months and 1 day since the phone was obtained

The upgrade eligiblity has been changed to 20 months but it just began a few months ago.  It will not affect current contracts but once a customer upgrades, the next upgrade will be in 20 months.

@Sandpipers

I agree with hnzw.  Check the contract status on that line.  Activating the iPhone and adding the data plan shouldn't affect the upgrade date at all if the iPhone was not puchased as an 'upgrade'..

Message 6 of 8
Scholar

Indeed they made a mistake! When I originally went to activate it online, I had a problem so I had to call in to CS to do that. Apparently that rep made an error. All is good now and I'm back to not being under contract and upgrade eligible. Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Expert

ChasSquirrel wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

The upgrade eligiblity has been changed to 20 months but it just began a few months ago.  It will not affect current contracts but once a customer upgrades, the next upgrade will be in 20 months.

@Sandpipers

I agree with hnzw.  Check the contract status on that line.  Activating the iPhone and adding the data plan shouldn't affect the upgrade date at all if the iPhone was not puchased as an 'upgrade'..

Just upgraded the primary phone on the second family plan about a week about, upgrade is still 18 months according to the website and the CSS document, the other lines on both plans are 20 months

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support