Upgrade eligibility formula.

Highlighted
Tutor

Upgrade eligibility formula.

There's a hundred-and-some-odd factors (ie. late/oustanding payments etc.) that can negatively affect your upgrade eligibililty time frame but the main one (if you're a good customer and pay your bill on time) that determines if you're going to be closer to the 12 month or the 20 month time period is based off how much revenue they pull in off you each month.

Becaue they're only able to gouge about 70 bucks out of me each month my upgrade time frame is set at 20 months.  Now, I understand they subsidised $400 for my new iPhone 4 back in June of 2010 but if you do the math (400 divided by 24 months = 16.66) my bill, come June 2012, should drop by $16.66 each month since they've recouped their $400 off me...but it won't.

Since I'm on a rant I'd like to comment on the acquisition of T-Mobile.  AT&T claims this acquisition will be good for consumers because it will add choices and features for customers.  Simply looking at AT&Ts tract record for the last 4 years it's obvious they're not interested in adding choices, they're interested in adding money to their pockets by ELIMINATING choices.  In 2007 AT&T offered 200 free text messages with the iPhone. In 2008, with the iPhone 3G they took away those complimentary text messages and made you pay $5 for 250. Just this year they've eliminated tiered texting plans all together.  You either pay as you go (a complete ripoff if you're a moderate texter) or $20 for unlimited (a complete ripoff if you're only a moderate texter).  The same elimination of choices goes for data plans too.

AT&T keeps finding new reasons for me to drop them and never look back.  Sprint's looking better and better every day.  If they'd (Sprint) just offer me an early termination credit, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Message 1 of 5 (639 Views)
Professor

Re: Upgrade eligibility formula.

adamb303 wrote:

Since I'm on a rant I'd like to comment on the acquisition of T-Mobile.  AT&T claims this acquisition will be good for consumers because it will add choices and features for customers.  Simply looking at AT&Ts tract record for the last 4 years it's obvious they're not interested in adding choices, they're interested in adding money to their pockets by ELIMINATING choices.

you mean we have choices?

Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 5 (606 Views)
Scholar

adamb303 wrote:
Just this year they've eliminated tiered texting plans all together.  You either pay as you go (a complete ripoff if you're a moderate texter) or $20 for unlimited (a complete ripoff if you're only a moderate texter).  The same elimination of choices goes for data plans too.

While I do agree with you on the messaging plans, AT&T actually added more choices for data. They eliminated the unlimited data plan but they now have the $15/200MB, $25/2GB and $45/4GB plans available.

This actually benefits the more casual users. If I were someone who's always near wi-fi and use less than 200MB/mo, I sure don't want to be forced to pay $30/mo for data in order to subsidize folks using 15~20GB/mo.

However, I think the available data tiers are too restrictive. The $30/mo unlimited had an unofficial 5GB cap. There's no reason why AT&T couldn't have made the $15 plan 1GB or even 500MB. They just want to force subscribers into the more expensive $25/2GB plan.

Message 3 of 5 (587 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

hnzw_rui wrote:

adamb303 wrote:
Just this year they've eliminated tiered texting plans all together.  You either pay as you go (a complete ripoff if you're a moderate texter) or $20 for unlimited (a complete ripoff if you're only a moderate texter).  The same elimination of choices goes for data plans too.

While I do agree with you on the messaging plans, AT&T actually added more choices for data. They eliminated the unlimited data plan but they now have the $15/200MB, $25/2GB and $45/4GB plans available.

This actually benefits the more casual users. If I were someone who's always near wi-fi and use less than 200MB/mo, I sure don't want to be forced to pay $30/mo for data in order to subsidize folks using 15~20GB/mo.

However, I think the available data tiers are too restrictive. The $30/mo unlimited had an unofficial 5GB cap. There's no reason why AT&T couldn't have made the $15 plan 1GB or even 500MB. They just want to force subscribers into the more expensive $25/2GB plan.

One thing the OP missed on the unlimited 20.00 text plan, if you have a qualifying vocie plan (39.99 for single line, 69.99 for familiy) you get unlimited mobile to ANY mobile calling.

As far as tiered data plans, ATT is still cheaper then the tiered plans on verizon. Verizon charges 30.00 for 2GB and there is no lower data plan available for smartphones from there

Message 4 of 5 (575 Views)
Teacher

Make no mistake about it, the combination of AT&T and T-Mobile will be bad for customers, reduce choice, and raise prices...you think AT&T is bad now?  Try them after absorbing TMO.

BF
Message 5 of 5 (566 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.