Upgrade date moved for no reason

Upgrade date moved for no reason

Ive been a customer of AT&T since October 2006 back when it was still called Cingular.  Ive never really experienced too many difficulties with AT&T until this past 4-6 weeks, which have been riddled with issues and customer service failures.  My frustration has led me to a point of wanting to cancel my account with AT&T and move to Verizon.  A synopsis of the problems is as follows:

10-22-11 Called AT&T Customer Care as I had noticed that I was being charged $5 for a late fee even though my credit card was supposed to be on autopay.  Apparently when I updated the expiration date for my credit card online, the changes didnt stick.  Fee was waived and payment was made immediately.

10-22-11 Went to a local AT&T store to have a line added to my account.  Explained exactly what I wanted to have done..And it was screwed up.  This became evident when I got my bill on 11-31-11.  Primary name on the account screwed up, billing screwed up.  Absolute nightmare.

10-31-11 Called AT&T Customer Care to fix issues on the account that occurred on 10-22-11.  Spent an hour on the phone to correct issues.  Got new account balance due and was informed that the names on the account are now set correctly.  Will only be able to verify when my next bill comes.

On Friday, 11-11-11 my boss at work told me that he noticed on his account that he could upgrade his phone and that he had ordered an iPhone 4S.  Since we had both ordered our iPhone4 on the same day previously it would make sense that our upgrade dates would be SIMILAR...which in fact they were, as mine was up on 11-18-11.  When I logged into my account online I noticed that my upgrade date had been pushed back 3 months to 02-18-12.  I called Customer Care and was told that because I changed my plan my upgrade date was pushed back.  I argued that nothing had changed with the primary line, and that nearly doubling the bill to AT&T (from $85/mo to about $145/mo) shouldnt act as a penalty

to the customer.  Customer care agreed but refused to honor the original upgrade date.

I called back on 11-14-11 and spoke to a Customer Care agent to actually seemed to care a bit.  I explained the situation and he acknowledged that this issued was unfair and he offered to honor the original upgrade date.  I stated that I wanted the iPhone 4S and he told me that Apples contract would not allow him to alter the upgrade date in the system for iPhones.  He also stated that he was unable to modify the price of an iPhone as well due to contractual agreements.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and was connected to one, who proceeded to tell me the same thing.  I advsied him that I would cancel my account if they couldnt resolve this issue and he escalated me up another level. The call was disconnected before I could reach that person.  I gave up for the night having other things to do.

After work on 11-15-11 I went into a local AT&T store to seek help.  After standing around for 20 minutes playing with handsets I recieved no assistance or offer for assistance from any of the sales agents in the store.  I left disgusted and called the store after returning home, hoping to get the availability of the manager so I could call or visit the store when they were working to speak with them.  No one picked up the phone.

Posting here is about the last resort I have to get a resolution before I file a complaint with BBB and subsequently leave AT&T.  While I understand there are contractual limitations with Apple preventing sales of iPhones under certain circumstances, I dont believe that AT&T is powerless to correct something that shouldnt have changed to begin with.  Additionally if AT&T is truly powerless due to said contract, they have made no other attempts to resolve the issue other than to tell me "Im sorry I cant do that."

Message 1 of 6 (446 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: Upgrade date moved for no reason

Wow, that is quite the frustrating couple of weeks. Smiley Sad

I'm glad you're giving us another shot to get this straightened out. 

Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, any ticket numbers you've collected, your contact phone number and the best time to contact you?

I'll have a member of our team review your account and give you a call. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (442 Views)
Professor

You say you went into the store looking for help and just stood around for 20 minutes playing with phones. You don't mention what the sales associates were doing during that time. Were they helping other customers, just standing around talking, or what? Were you unable to walk up to someone and ask for help?

Message 3 of 6 (428 Views)
Highlighted

PM sent.

Message 4 of 6 (425 Views)
Former Community Manager

Got it and responded. Thanks. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6 (423 Views)

UPDATE:

After another round of phone calls Wed night 11-16-11, I was advised that a ticket had been opened and that the upgrade date was supposed to be reset to the original date sometime that night when the system "did its sweep".  Sure enough when the following morning I noticed that the upgrade date had been reset.  I received a phone call later that day confirming that the date had been fixed.

Thank you to the Intensive Care Team and to Jamileh for your assistance.  While it was a bit of a burden to get everything straightened out over the last month, Im satisfied enough to renew my contract now with AT&T for another 2 years!

Message 6 of 6 (388 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.