Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 20, 2011
3:54:41 PM
Upgrade Question
My mom, who is on my family plan, is due for an upgrade next month. She doesn't need a new phone so she is letting my sister in law, who is not on my plan, use the upgrade. My question is this. If she gets the iPhone 3GS can she just put her SIM card in & it will work? I know it's different for the iPhone 4 & 4S since they have the smaller SIM card. Thanks in advance.
My mom, who is on my family plan, is due for an upgrade next month. She doesn't need a new phone so she is letting my sister in law, who is not on my plan, use the upgrade. My question is this. If she gets the iPhone 3GS can she just put her SIM card in & it will work? I know it's different for the iPhone 4 & 4S since they have the smaller SIM card. Thanks in advance.
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Upgrade Question

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 5:21:38 PM
(0)
Professor

amylyn1970 wrote:

yes it will work  make sure AT&T knows it is for a different line and she needs the DATA plan  added to that line of service. and make sure your mom's phone  sim card is not deactivated. but yes it will work, i used my wife upgrade to get a 3GS a while back from the apple store we had to go to the AT&T store to make sure everything was correct.

amylyn1970 wrote:

yes it will work  make sure AT&T knows it is for a different line and she needs the DATA plan  added to that line of service. and make sure your mom's phone  sim card is not deactivated. but yes it will work, i used my wife upgrade to get a 3GS a while back from the apple store we had to go to the AT&T store to make sure everything was correct.

hello!!!

Re: Upgrade Question

2 of 9 (355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 5:45:13 PM
(0)
Guru
Thanks!
Thanks!
(\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

3 of 9 (350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 6:23:46 AM
(0)
Former Employee

graphite07 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

Actually, no problem if your mom's sim card is deactivated. Just take the sim card out of the new 3GS and put it in your mom's phone. Also, you will have to order a data plan when you order the phone but it will be against your mom's line, so make sure you have the data plan removed after you put the sim from the 3GS into your mom's phone. In order, these are the steps I would take to accomplish this swap:

1. Order new 3GS under mom's account

2. Receive new 3GS, activate it.

3. Take sim card from new 3GS and put into mom's old phone.

4. Call AT&T to have data plan removed from mom's phone.

5. Put sister-in-law's sim card into 3GS.

6. Have sister-in-law call to add data plan to her line.

graphite07 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

Actually, no problem if your mom's sim card is deactivated. Just take the sim card out of the new 3GS and put it in your mom's phone. Also, you will have to order a data plan when you order the phone but it will be against your mom's line, so make sure you have the data plan removed after you put the sim from the 3GS into your mom's phone. In order, these are the steps I would take to accomplish this swap:

4 of 9 (327 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 7:53:44 AM
(0)
Guru

sandblaster wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

Thanks for the step by step. My sister in law has a data plan on her phone right now since she has an Android phone, so it should just switch to the iPhone plan once she puts her SIM in it. I'll definitely call & take the data plan off of my moms phone. She'll never need a data plan, she doesn't even text. In fact, she never uses her phone & that's why she doesn't need a new one. It's 2 years old & looks brand new.

sandblaster wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

Thanks for the step by step. My sister in law has a data plan on her phone right now since she has an Android phone, so it should just switch to the iPhone plan once she puts her SIM in it. I'll definitely call & take the data plan off of my moms phone. She'll never need a data plan, she doesn't even text. In fact, she never uses her phone & that's why she doesn't need a new one. It's 2 years old & looks brand new.

5 of 9 (320 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 10:34:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

I wouldn't waste an upgrade on a 3GS... 

I wouldn't waste an upgrade on a 3GS... 

6 of 9 (306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 11:23:10 AM
(0)
Guru
I wouldn't either but she's cheap & wants a freebie. I tried to talk her into getting either the 4 or 4S, but she win't budge. My husband is cheap also & got the 3GS.
I wouldn't either but she's cheap & wants a freebie. I tried to talk her into getting either the 4 or 4S, but she win't budge. My husband is cheap also & got the 3GS.

7 of 9 (296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 1:27:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

amylyn1970 wrote:

Could always get a 4 or 4s.... sell it and buy a 3GS to use and be money ahead.

amylyn1970 wrote:

8 of 9 (287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 4:10:25 AM
(0)
Guru

hinzy wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

That would be the smart thing to do, but she doesn't want to put any money out at all & doesn't want to fool with Ebay. Oh well. I still have the 4 & think I am going to wait until the next iPhone comes out to upgrade. I would love to have Siri, but I would rather wait & see if the next iPhone is going to have a different design, although I like the design of my 4.

hinzy wrote:

amylyn1970 wrote:

That would be the smart thing to do, but she doesn't want to put any money out at all & doesn't want to fool with Ebay. Oh well. I still have the 4 & think I am going to wait until the next iPhone comes out to upgrade. I would love to have Siri, but I would rather wait & see if the next iPhone is going to have a different design, although I like the design of my 4.

9 of 9 (273 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments