Upgrade Question Regarding "Discounted Price"

Teacher

Upgrade Question Regarding "Discounted Price"

Hey guys and gals...

So I'm finally making the jump to a new phone to which I can comfortably access the web, text, check emails, blah, blah, blah... and am considering taking AT&T's offer to save some money...

As a valued AT&T customer, this line qualifies for discounted equipment pricing when you sign a new 2-year commitment.

iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee.

Besides saving $18 (above noted upgrade fee vs new activation fee)... there is no other savings as far as I can see.

My new phone of choice is the iPhone 4 16gb Black.  My "special" price is $199... the normal cost for a new customer is $199.  Am I missing something?  As stated on my account, I have been a "Valued customer since 11/12/2004".  So where's the savings for being a valued customer versus someone who may jump ship once signing the contract?

Any help/advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

Message 1 of 15
Contributor

Re: Upgrade Question Regarding "Discounted Price"

I have a better one for you. My son jumped in the pool so my phone was taken off the account and they have no phone pic up there. This was a week after the Iphone 4 came out. They offered my friend a upgrade for the iphone 4 and we got our phones at the same time with the same plan. They offered me nothing the great customer service said maybe b/c i dont have a iphone anymore a upgrade was not offered to me what is that. Oh, but i could purchase a upgrade phone for a more expensive price plus the upgrade fee and don't forget a renewed contract all for $399.99 +. Lol yall are very funny I know if I'm not offered a Iphone soon I will be switching b/c my bill is like $200 + a month and without the iphone it is not worth it because i always had drop calls but the i phone made it worth it not the service.

Message 2 of 15
Former Employee

iPhone 4 cost $600 for 16 GB and $700 for 32.

Message 3 of 15
Teacher

really...

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku4710254&_r...

shows $199 for 16gb

edit... just realized you might have been responding to imtr1's reply.  if not, really???

Message 4 of 15
Teacher

something uncool happened today...

i went with a friend to an at&t store.  we both walked in a minute or so apart and when approached by cs, different cs by the way, we asked for the same thing...

the cost for an iphone 4 16gb (w/ the same plan)

...we we're both given the exact same pricing for the phone that can be found on the website, $199 (plan cost were same also).

when i mentioned that i was currently an at&t customer, i was told it didn't matter.  the cost is still $199.

we went back to the office and i called at&t cs to discuss why a new customer is getting the same deal on a phone that i was.  i also asked what at&t meant by posting the following on my account...

As a valued AT&T customer, this line qualifies for discounted equipment pricing when you sign a new 2-year commitment.

iPhone Upgrade
As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a new 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee.

she had no answer.  i told her that it clearly says "discounted equipment pricing" for being a valued customer.  sounds to me like at&t doesn't think the average customer will do a bit of research prior to jumping on the upgrade (deal?).

so what do i want?  a better price on a new phone versus joe schmoe walking in off the street or logging in.  afterall, that's what the above quoted text insinuates.

trust me, i am willing and very open to hear any suggestions on how i can be taken care of as a so called "valued customer".  anyone?

Message 5 of 15
Highlighted
Former Employee

OK, it's the 2 year contract. The iPhone cost $600 retail, in exchange for a 2 year contract AT&T is willing to buy a phone from Apple for $600 and then sell it to you for $200, it's called subsidy. When you sign your contract you are responsible for either keeping the service for 2 years of if you decide to cancel you'll be charged an Early Termination Fee, during this time you CAN NOT sign an other 2 year contract on the same line and get any discount on the phone until AT&T offers you an "Upgrade" (So if you want to buy a new phone in 3 months, you will have to pay the full retail price). Upgrade means you have paid back for the subsidy AT&T gave you on the phone, and AT&T at this point will let you to renew your contract for an other 2 years and buy a new phone at the discounted price, $199 for the iPhone. This is what the post on your account is about, it tells you that you have fulfilled your contractual obligation to AT&T and they sure see you as a valued customer. New customer and the existing customer will get the same exact price on any device when eligible to sign a 2 year contact, it is fair, don't forget you were a new customer too ones. I'm surprised you don't know all this, it's been this way for many years. Hope this clears things up for you somewhat.

Message 6 of 15

The "discount" is off the retail price. Instead of paying $600, you're paying the "discounted" price of $199. Which you are only eligible for if you are a new customer, or nearing the end of your current contract and sign another contract.
Message 7 of 15
Teacher

honestly, thanks for the replies... but it seems like we're not getting anywhere.

me with my countless years with at&t can get an iphone for $199 (w/ a 2yr contract)

my neighbor who has never owned a cell phone can walk in, or login to at&t, and get an iphone for $199 (w/ the same 2 year contract)

where's the "hey, thanks for being a valued customer with at&t... you get this special price on an iphone (THAT NOBODY ELSE CAN GET)...  all because you have been a loyal customer for many years."

instead, i get the same deal as someone who hasn't been a customer for one second.  just doesn't seem right.  there ought to be an additional incentive for the current customers.  but bottom line, when the contracts are signed we both end up paying the same price (i realize i come out ahead by $18 for the upgrade fee vs activation fee).

Message 8 of 15
Guru

Here we go again with the "loyal" customer excuse.

Remember that you're getting a hefty discount from the original price (from $599 to $199) when usually any other phone you buy at the commitment price only gets a discount of $150 aproximately. I don't know if I missed the part where AT&T is giving you a good offer to stay with them.

Oh! But you think you're entitled to have any phone at the price you want just because you have been x years with AT&T, or am I wrong? Remember that AT&T is a business, of course they will sometimes give better offers to new customers to attract them to the company. But remember that you're still given great deals to stay with them.

Also remember that no customer has been offered an extra discount for an iPhone apart from the commitment price since the first one was released.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 15
Teacher

what i think i and every other current at&t customer is entitled to is something a bit better than what a new customer can get... goes for any phone, not just the iphone.  plain and simple, take care of those who have been with you... and they will take care of you.

perhaps when it comes to my many examples of the iphone, don't discount it so much for the new customers.  or if you do, save some room for discounts for your current customers.

that's all i'm asking.  seem pretty logical to me.  it's what i do for my current customers... and they thank me for it.

Message 10 of 15
Teacher

virtual said: "Here we go again with the "loyal" customer excuse."

no, not "loyal"... at&t calls us "valued" customers.  if we're so valued we do they try and pass off a deal to us that a new user can get?  stop sucking up to at&t and admit that they could do better.  it's clearly obvious.

Message 11 of 15
Former Employee

AT&T just doesn't do things this way. I believe it's better to give everybody the same price, that way there won't be people upset because somebody can get something for less than they have to pay. Can't make everyone happy, and I'm sure you as a business owner know that. So if you're not happy with what AT&T is doing, and maybe you decide that the other company can do better, then you go to them to find out that you have to pay $100 or $200 more than your neighbor, how will that make you feel?

Message 12 of 15
Expert

recacer wrote:

what i think i and every other current at&t customer is entitled to is something a bit better than what a new customer can get... goes for any phone, not just the iphone.  plain and simple, take care of those who have been with you... and they will take care of you.

perhaps when it comes to my many examples of the iphone, don't discount it so much for the new customers.  or if you do, save some room for discounts for your current customers.

that's all i'm asking.  seem pretty logical to me.  it's what i do for my current customers... and they thank me for it.

Find this funny, sorry please take the time to show me ANY publicly traded company that gives their current customers the same features as they are using to try and lure in new customers. You are a currently a line of profit and you are not going to bring in any new income, the only thing you want is for them to pay the majority of the cost for the device so you can change phones. 

They actually DO treat a current customer as a new when your contract runs it's course, at that time you are eligible to obtain a new phone at the new user price - and they only charge you 1/2 the rate to activate the upgrade. Where is the problem there? Seems like they are treating "loyal and valued customers" the exact same as new customers, the only differenc is you have to fulfill your contractual agreement of the previously discounted or free phone that you got from them - seems perfectly fair to me. Try doing some research - no carrier will give an existing customer a new customer price unless they have fulfilled their previous commitment.

Message 13 of 15
Expert

recacer wrote:

Hey guys and gals...

So I'm finally making the jump to a new phone to which I can comfortably access the web, text, check emails, blah, blah, blah... and am considering taking AT&T's offer to save some money...

iPhone Upgrade

Besides saving $18 (above noted upgrade fee vs new activation fee)... there is no other savings as far as I can see.

My new phone of choice is the iPhone 4 16gb Black.  My "special" price is $199... the normal cost for a new customer is $199.  Am I missing something?  As stated on my account, I have been a "Valued customer since 11/12/2004".  So where's the savings for being a valued customer versus someone who may jump ship once signing the contract?

Any help/advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

Yes you are - you are missing the fact that as a "valued" customer you can purchase the phone at the same exact price as a new user. If you where not eligible for the discounted price you would be told the reduced price of the phone (399 - 16GB or 499 - 32 GB) or the full price of the phone (599 - 16 GB or 699 32 GB). Do not understand why you would consider that yuo should get it below the cost of a new user, that is not logical.

Message 14 of 15
Teacher

lol

it's called a perk.  and no, i don't think being offered the same deal as a brand new customer a perk.  all my new customers get a great deal.  all my current customers, based on a 3 tier level consisting of date of first order... total $ spent... input for product development... and a few other minor things, get yearly discounts that are not available to anyone and are much better than what a new customer can get.  basically, while we appreciate any new customers and offer them prices that they can not find anywhere else... we thank you with additional discounts and freebies the longer you stay with us.  if they continue to buy from us, they are given additional "perks".

it's our way of going above and beyond a customers expectation.  i say that because they do not know this going in, unless it's word of mouth.  the response from our customers, and our evergrowing customer database, is a sure sign that WE are doing something right.

even though i had the chance to use an htc evo for the past week... chances are, i'll stick with at&t.  i'm not to the point of total dissabandonment, yet.  and it wouldn't be over pricing.  i will say that they need to step up the customer service game.  once that becomes something of an issue for me, i'll leave.

thanks for playing.

Message 15 of 15
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support