Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 15, 2012
9:02:26 AM
View profile
Upgrade Question PLEASE HELP!!!
Edited by 816MossyOak on Apr 15, 2012 at 9:24:15 AM

Ok so myself, my wife, and my mother are all on a family plan...my mother has an old flip phone and is eligible for an upgrade and does not want to use it and said I could use it if I wanted...I, myself like my phone and don't need to use it but my question here is this...is there a way to get a phone for the upgrade pricing (say the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket), add the data on my mothers line, activate the phone for a few and then cancel the data and have my mother go back to her old flip phone and turn around and sell the Skyrocket to a friend of mine?? In othere words how do i go about this scenario?

Ok so myself, my wife, and my mother are all on a family plan...my mother has an old flip phone and is eligible for an upgrade and does not want to use it and said I could use it if I wanted...I, myself like my phone and don't need to use it but my question here is this...is there a way to get a phone for the upgrade pricing (say the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket), add the data on my mothers line, activate the phone for a few and then cancel the data and have my mother go back to her old flip phone and turn around and sell the Skyrocket to a friend of mine?? In othere words how do i go about this scenario?

Upgrade Question PLEASE HELP!!!

[ Edited ]
15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 9:27:35 AM
(0)
Expert

816MossyOak wrote:

you don;.t have to do that, just use her upgrade for your line, beter to go into a corproate store to do it though

816MossyOak wrote:

you don;.t have to do that, just use her upgrade for your line, beter to go into a corproate store to do it though

Re: Upgrade Question PLEASE HELP!!!

2 of 16 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 9:35:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

my question is if I use her upgrade for my line would i have to activate the phone once i received it from ordering online or could i just turn right around and sell it without activating?

my question is if I use her upgrade for my line would i have to activate the phone once i received it from ordering online or could i just turn right around and sell it without activating?

3 of 16 (1,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2012 9:42:36 AM
(0)
Expert

816MossyOak wrote:

can;t answer that one but it will trigger a 2 year commitment on the line no matter what.

816MossyOak wrote:

can;t answer that one but it will trigger a 2 year commitment on the line no matter what.

4 of 16 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 5:29:40 AM
(0)
Guru
NO STOP! Don't do it! You will not be allowed to drop the data plan once you upgrade to a smartphone. AT$T requires a data plan for two years once you get a smartphone even if you don't use it. This will cost you $480, unless you make that much selling the device you will lose $.
NO STOP! Don't do it! You will not be allowed to drop the data plan once you upgrade to a smartphone. AT$T requires a data plan for two years once you get a smartphone even if you don't use it. This will cost you $480, unless you make that much selling the device you will lose $.

5 of 16 (838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 6:30:16 AM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

wrong, if the smartphone is removed from the line and replaced with a phone that does not require a data plan (aka a QMD device) you can call in and remove the data plan from the line, you have to supply the IMEI number of the device that is replacing the smartphone on the line. This IS documented if you take the time to actually research

harryspar wrote:

wrong, if the smartphone is removed from the line and replaced with a phone that does not require a data plan (aka a QMD device) you can call in and remove the data plan from the line, you have to supply the IMEI number of the device that is replacing the smartphone on the line. This IS documented if you take the time to actually research

6 of 16 (834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 6:35:54 AM
(0)
Guru
Thanks wingrider that is interesting. I would like to research as you suggest - where is this information? Just to be clear - you are saying that if I'm eligible for upgrade I can get a discounted smartphone from AT$T and then go back to using my feature phone, and I keep the smartphone plus not need a data plan? (Honestly it seemes strange - why would AT$T give you an expensive smartphone if they won't make their money back on a data plan?)
Thanks wingrider that is interesting. I would like to research as you suggest - where is this information? Just to be clear - you are saying that if I'm eligible for upgrade I can get a discounted smartphone from AT$T and then go back to using my feature phone, and I keep the smartphone plus not need a data plan? (Honestly it seemes strange - why would AT$T give you an expensive smartphone if they won't make their money back on a data plan?)

7 of 16 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 8:44:40 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

To clarify...

If you upgrade to a smartphone, you will need to get a data plan but if you decide that you want to go back to a non-smartphone, you can drop the dataplan. 

However, if you activate the smartphone on AT&T's network again you would be required to have a dataplan again. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

To clarify...

If you upgrade to a smartphone, you will need to get a data plan but if you decide that you want to go back to a non-smartphone, you can drop the dataplan. 

However, if you activate the smartphone on AT&T's network again you would be required to have a dataplan again. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 16 (817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 10:17:15 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 3, 2012 at 10:17:40 AM

harryspar wrote:

1. wife dropped her phone, did not realize it, backed over it with the H1

2. wife was not eligible for upgrade since she just did to a new smartphone

3. daughter was eligible, upgraded her phone to a new smartphone, added data plan, activated 2 yr voice contract in store, added minimum mandatory data plan on the line

3. The next day took wife's phone and daughters old phone to retail outlet, swapped the sim out of her newly pancaked phone and put it in the upgraded phone on my daughters line

4. Sales person put daughters sim back into her QMD phone, and they removed the recently added data plan on daughters line when I gave them the new IMEI number from the QMD phone

this was all done at a retail outlet by the sale's person

So you see, even though I upgraded the daughters phone to a smartphone to get a new one for my wife, once the sales rep moved it to the proper line and switched back to her QMD device they removed the recenlty data plan from her line, now her line still has a two year commitment on it though, but no requirement for a data plan. They are still making the money on the only part of the upgrade that is required - the voice plan. Only the voice plan is required for a upgrade, the rest are features that can be removed if it is not required by the phone

People post about doing this all the time in the forums

harryspar wrote:

1. wife dropped her phone, did not realize it, backed over it with the H1

2. wife was not eligible for upgrade since she just did to a new smartphone

3. daughter was eligible, upgraded her phone to a new smartphone, added data plan, activated 2 yr voice contract in store, added minimum mandatory data plan on the line

3. The next day took wife's phone and daughters old phone to retail outlet, swapped the sim out of her newly pancaked phone and put it in the upgraded phone on my daughters line

4. Sales person put daughters sim back into her QMD phone, and they removed the recently added data plan on daughters line when I gave them the new IMEI number from the QMD phone

this was all done at a retail outlet by the sale's person

So you see, even though I upgraded the daughters phone to a smartphone to get a new one for my wife, once the sales rep moved it to the proper line and switched back to her QMD device they removed the recenlty data plan from her line, now her line still has a two year commitment on it though, but no requirement for a data plan. They are still making the money on the only part of the upgrade that is required - the voice plan. Only the voice plan is required for a upgrade, the rest are features that can be removed if it is not required by the phone

People post about doing this all the time in the forums

[ Edited ]
9 of 16 (809 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 11:04:02 AM
(0)
Guru

Cool - this is good to know.

What if OP sold the smartphone on Ebay and went on using thier "dumb"phone.

Then the Ebay purchaser activates the smartphone on AT$T.

The buyer needs to add a data plan, right? And what about the seller? In other words, does any link stay between the phone and the account of the original person who upgraded?

The buyer needs to add a data plan, right? And what about the seller? In other words, does any link stay between the phone and the account of the original person who upgraded?

10 of 16 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 11:20:00 AM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

some phones need to be activated on the purchaser's account for security reasons so check to be sure. There is no link that I am aware of from a deactivated phone to an account, but when ever I deactivate a phone I pull the sim and shred it

harryspar wrote:

some phones need to be activated on the purchaser's account for security reasons so check to be sure. There is no link that I am aware of from a deactivated phone to an account, but when ever I deactivate a phone I pull the sim and shred it

11 of 16 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 1:38:52 AM
(0)
Guru

The prices online frequently include a "instant rebate". Does that rebate get slurped back if the data plan is dropped? the fine print seems to say so, but fine print being what it is, it's hard to decipher.

The prices online frequently include a "instant rebate". Does that rebate get slurped back if the data plan is dropped? the fine print seems to say so, but fine print being what it is, it's hard to decipher.

12 of 16 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 3:32:01 AM
(0)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

depends - any 3rd party retailer like Best Buy, Amazon, Wally World have their own additional requirements over and above ATT's for the purchase of the phone, you need to review those. I can;t answer for ATT, I never purchase online for a cell phone, I always go to a retail outlet

harryspar wrote:

depends - any 3rd party retailer like Best Buy, Amazon, Wally World have their own additional requirements over and above ATT's for the purchase of the phone, you need to review those. I can;t answer for ATT, I never purchase online for a cell phone, I always go to a retail outlet

13 of 16 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2012 8:05:37 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've bought smartphones online from AT&T and then used it on a different line.  Never had issue dropping the data plan from the line that ordered the phone after putting a dumbphone back on that line.  No charge-back of any "instant rebate" or anything. 

I've bought smartphones online from AT&T and then used it on a different line.  Never had issue dropping the data plan from the line that ordered the phone after putting a dumbphone back on that line.  No charge-back of any "instant rebate" or anything. 

14 of 16 (694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2012 9:24:41 AM
(0)
Expert

La-La wrote:

Correct, but if it is purchased from a franschise - like wally world, best buy, target, amazon they can have their own requirements and buyer's remorse durations that can conflict with using it on a different number - some of them can be hefty financial penalties, if you don;t get it through ATT make sure that you check the additional requirements of the purchase

La-La wrote:

Correct, but if it is purchased from a franschise - like wally world, best buy, target, amazon they can have their own requirements and buyer's remorse durations that can conflict with using it on a different number - some of them can be hefty financial penalties, if you don;t get it through ATT make sure that you check the additional requirements of the purchase

15 of 16 (686 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2012 10:41:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

La-La wrote:

Absolutely!  Always read the fine print. 

I was responding specifically to your previous comment that you hadn't bought online from AT&T. 

Probably should have quoted, to avoid any confusion. 

wingrider01 wrote:

La-La wrote:

Absolutely!  Always read the fine print. 

I was responding specifically to your previous comment that you hadn't bought online from AT&T. 

Probably should have quoted, to avoid any confusion. 

16 of 16 (653 Views)