Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 13, 2010
6:40:46 AM
Upgrade Problems
Edited by michaelsm on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:47:02 AM

This might become long but I am interested to see if I am the only person with this problem.

Three weeks ago I attempted to upgrade to the Dell Streak, through the Dell website. I got a message that I was not available for an upgrade. My account online says I am available for an upgrade so I called customer service at Dell. They stated that AT&T showed me as not available and that I would have to contact them. So I contacted AT&T. They stated that they didn't know why it was saying I couldn't upgrade because their system says I can (at this time they say with "no restrictions). At this point the AT&T customer support person calls Dell with me on the line. The Dell support person states that their system shows I am only available to upgrade to the Iphone (I was later told by a different Dell rep that I was never told their system stated that I could only upgrade to the Iphone because it doesn't show that kind of info - not sure who is lying there). So after 300+ minutes of hold time, and being passed from different levels of support over probably 12-16 calls while Dell and AT&T played the blame game for almost three weeks I was told that I was actually not eligible for the upgrade through a third party because I was offered an upgrade due to a "poor performing device."

It seems to me if the issue was that simple then three weeks ago they could have simply looked in their system and told me at that time why I couldn't upgrade through Dell. Instead, over the course of the three weeks Dell and AT&T made multiple attempts to tell me different things in what seemed to be desperation to get me to go away.

Now at the end of it all they tell me that I am restricted to upgrading my device through their system. I can't help but think that this is just a cheap excuse to get rid of the problem because neither company was able to fix an error within their own systems.

Am I alone with this issue?

If this is really the way AT&T takes care of an issue maybe I am with the wrong carrier.

Edit - I also found it to be fascinating how almost all of the AT&T customer support people I talked to had never heard of the Streak and stated, before hearing the issue at first, that it wasn't even an AT&T device. I had to repeat multiple times that it was sold by Dell but is locked to AT&T. Maybe customer support should give their employees some info on their new devices. Just a thought Smiley Happy

This might become long but I am interested to see if I am the only person with this problem.

Three weeks ago I attempted to upgrade to the Dell Streak, through the Dell website. I got a message that I was not available for an upgrade. My account online says I am available for an upgrade so I called customer service at Dell. They stated that AT&T showed me as not available and that I would have to contact them. So I contacted AT&T. They stated that they didn't know why it was saying I couldn't upgrade because their system says I can (at this time they say with "no restrictions). At this point the AT&T customer support person calls Dell with me on the line. The Dell support person states that their system shows I am only available to upgrade to the Iphone (I was later told by a different Dell rep that I was never told their system stated that I could only upgrade to the Iphone because it doesn't show that kind of info - not sure who is lying there). So after 300+ minutes of hold time, and being passed from different levels of support over probably 12-16 calls while Dell and AT&T played the blame game for almost three weeks I was told that I was actually not eligible for the upgrade through a third party because I was offered an upgrade due to a "poor performing device."

It seems to me if the issue was that simple then three weeks ago they could have simply looked in their system and told me at that time why I couldn't upgrade through Dell. Instead, over the course of the three weeks Dell and AT&T made multiple attempts to tell me different things in what seemed to be desperation to get me to go away.

Now at the end of it all they tell me that I am restricted to upgrading my device through their system. I can't help but think that this is just a cheap excuse to get rid of the problem because neither company was able to fix an error within their own systems.

Am I alone with this issue?

If this is really the way AT&T takes care of an issue maybe I am with the wrong carrier.

Edit - I also found it to be fascinating how almost all of the AT&T customer support people I talked to had never heard of the Streak and stated, before hearing the issue at first, that it wasn't even an AT&T device. I had to repeat multiple times that it was sold by Dell but is locked to AT&T. Maybe customer support should give their employees some info on their new devices. Just a thought Smiley Happy

Upgrade Problems

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:26:46 AM
(0)
Professor

Seems to be an issue on Dells side. If you dial *NEW# (*639#) on your phone, ATT will send you a free text message with your upgrade elegibility. If it says your elegible, then its Dell's issue. Nothing ATT can do. Hope this helps!

Seems to be an issue on Dells side. If you dial *NEW# (*639#) on your phone, ATT will send you a free text message with your upgrade elegibility. If it says your elegible, then its Dell's issue. Nothing ATT can do. Hope this helps!

Re: Upgrade Problems

2 of 7 (184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:41:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

As I stated in my post we played the blame game for three weeks. When I get my upgrade status it says I am eligible. It however does not specifically say I am eligible for an upgrade through AT&T exclusively due to a "poor performing device."

I actually just received a follow up call from Dell to inform me of the same thing the AT&T support person told me on Friday. I guess my issue right now is how I am supposed to trust the answer I received if I have been told multiple excuses during the past three weeks and then all of a sudden they notice that I am only available for an upgrade due to the phone I currently have being a "poor performing device." It's just hard to believe that the 5 or more people at AT&T that helped with this issue all missed this.

As I stated in my post we played the blame game for three weeks. When I get my upgrade status it says I am eligible. It however does not specifically say I am eligible for an upgrade through AT&T exclusively due to a "poor performing device."

I actually just received a follow up call from Dell to inform me of the same thing the AT&T support person told me on Friday. I guess my issue right now is how I am supposed to trust the answer I received if I have been told multiple excuses during the past three weeks and then all of a sudden they notice that I am only available for an upgrade due to the phone I currently have being a "poor performing device." It's just hard to believe that the 5 or more people at AT&T that helped with this issue all missed this.

3 of 7 (180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:43:29 AM
(0)
Professor

Well I dont know anything about that. I've never heard of certain dealers not being able to upgrade and some able to. If your status is fully upgradable then there should be no issues. Sorry I couldnt provide any insight.

Well I dont know anything about that. I've never heard of certain dealers not being able to upgrade and some able to. If your status is fully upgradable then there should be no issues. Sorry I couldnt provide any insight.

4 of 7 (178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:53:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

UNSC_REACH wrote:

If your status is fully upgradable then there should be no issues.

That is exactly my take on it. I can't fathom why they care what phone I purchase as long as I stay their customer. That's why I feel like they are taking the easy way out. Thanks for the reply. At least I know someone read my post. Smiley Happy

UNSC_REACH wrote:

If your status is fully upgradable then there should be no issues.

That is exactly my take on it. I can't fathom why they care what phone I purchase as long as I stay their customer. That's why I feel like they are taking the easy way out. Thanks for the reply. At least I know someone read my post. Smiley Happy

5 of 7 (175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 7:56:10 AM
(0)
Professor

No problem, let us know if/when it gets resolved. Maybe try to get the phone somewhere else, if its sold elsewhere.

No problem, let us know if/when it gets resolved. Maybe try to get the phone somewhere else, if its sold elsewhere.

6 of 7 (173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 6:23:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well due to the lack of responses I am going to assume I am alone in this issue. I would have thought at least one other person on here would have had this issue, or heard of it.

I'll add that to make me feel even better about my service with AT&T, I painfully became aware of the horrible process used to link a UVERSE and wireless account. What a cluster....with the order getting messed up multiple times to my wireless account showing a past due balance even though it was paid. Needless to say this blocked me from looking into any upgrades while they "let the system work it out." If I didnt like my UVERSE so much I would be canceling everything and moving on. I am considering canceling my wireless service since the one phone that has come out in recent months that I was interested in is blocked for me because AT&T uses a computer system that they apparently cannot fix or make changes to.

Well due to the lack of responses I am going to assume I am alone in this issue. I would have thought at least one other person on here would have had this issue, or heard of it.

I'll add that to make me feel even better about my service with AT&T, I painfully became aware of the horrible process used to link a UVERSE and wireless account. What a cluster....with the order getting messed up multiple times to my wireless account showing a past due balance even though it was paid. Needless to say this blocked me from looking into any upgrades while they "let the system work it out." If I didnt like my UVERSE so much I would be canceling everything and moving on. I am considering canceling my wireless service since the one phone that has come out in recent months that I was interested in is blocked for me because AT&T uses a computer system that they apparently cannot fix or make changes to.

7 of 7 (146 Views)