Upgrade Eligibility

Tutor

Upgrade Eligibility

I need assistance.  I purchaed a 3g phone and new 2 year (1st AT&T contract) on 5-08-09.  The new 3gs was offered a month later, all customers who purchased a 3g after 5-09-09 were eleigible for the new phone (NOT ME!!!!).  No as the new phone is becoming availbale, I am not eligible for an early upgrade - my date is Jan 8th, 2011.  So in short I am using an old 3g 8gb phone and will be 2 phone removed from the latest technology.  AT&T says there is nothing they can do...does anyone have suggestions to escalate?  I already went to sales director, stonewalled ! 

Thanks

Disgruntled new customer.

Message 1 of 15 (1,984 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Upgrade Eligibility

I read that AT&T is allowing existing iPhone users to upgrade 6 month early. Wait till next month and check to see if you are eligible.

Message 2 of 15 (1,969 Views)
Tutor

This is true, my 6 months early is Jan 8th, 2011 - I am only avaialble for the upgrade +200 fee....so $399 for the $199 phone with new 2 year

Message 3 of 15 (1,959 Views)
Explorer

ixopop wrote:

I need assistance.  I purchaed a 3g phone and new 2 year (1st AT&T contract) on 5-08-09.  The new 3gs was offered a month later, all customers who purchased a 3g after 5-09-09 were eleigible for the new phone (NOT ME!!!!).  No as the new phone is becoming availbale, I am not eligible for an early upgrade - my date is Jan 8th, 2011.  So in short I am using an old 3g 8gb phone and will be 2 phone removed from the latest technology.  AT&T says there is nothing they can do...does anyone have suggestions to escalate?  I already went to sales director, stonewalled ! 

Thanks

Disgruntled new customer.

I think you are unlucky for having your upgrade date in January, however the date is calculated correctly.  Since your monthly bill is less than $68.99, the upgrade eligibility is 20 months and 20 months from 5-09-09 is 1-8-11.  Since the upgrade elibility is in January, you are not able to take advantage of the 6 months early upgrade.

You can look at this webpage to understand the upgrade: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

Message 4 of 15 (1,920 Views)
Tutor

Daica,

My monthly bill is $89.99

550 shared family plan             ($59.99)

200 txt messages per line       ($10)

and the Iphone data package ($30)

I get 24% off the first line for a B2B relationship ($14.xx)

Where are u getting your numbers from?  How do you know my plan?  are you an AT&T employee? 

I am also not disputing the formula.  It seems like I am the last fool to buy the 3g...since i bought my phone 2 3gs models and the 4 will/have been released.  I am ineligible for all of them.  All because of 1 day - may 8th.  So yes i may properly pigeon holed based on  AT&T's business plan and calculations.  But if this is true ...why have customer support?  We can all gather the facts through the internet.  I don't need a rep to explain the reason....I need a rep to understand that they will lose a customer when my 2 years is up. 

AT&T can take this no-exception stance 0 which I am sure they are doing to alot of customers, but there are, despite popular belief, alot of other smart phone that either rival or  exceed the iphone.  That FACT coupled with AT&T spotty cellular/#G network, maybe it is for the best they wont let me upgrade to the new phone......the more I think of it the more they may be doing me a favor.

Message 5 of 15 (1,882 Views)
Tutor

Daica75,

You joined today and have 6 posts regarding at&t's pricing plan......are you an employee?  I do not think its proper for an employee to be posting to defend a prcing plan unless they first identify themselves as such.

Message 6 of 15 (1,878 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

ixopop wrote:

Daica75,

You joined today and have 6 posts regarding at&t's pricing plan......are you an employee?  I do not think its proper for an employee to be posting to defend a prcing plan unless they first identify themselves as such.

ixopop wrote:

Daica75,

what?  I joined last year *EDIT actually I joined in 2008*.  I only posted this one time to you because I thought it was reasonable what they have.  They almost screwed me as well with my upgrade because I moved my account into a family plan with my wife and it was showing January 20, 2011 for my upgrade but I got my iPhone 3G on January 4, 2009 which was totally ridiculous!  Anyway, I called and found out my original upgrade date was supposed to be September 3, 2010, and I guess since the early upgrade came in, I was able to get that so I am looking forward to upgrading to the iPhone 4 along with my wife when it comes out.

Your FAN discount of 24% probably brought your cost lower than the $68.99 mark.  If it is higher, then you should talk to AT&T and ask them to change it.  But according to that webpage, that is the policy.  My plan was also less than $68.99 and my original upgrade eligibility was September which is 20 months from January, 2009.  I am just talking reason here and I am not an employee... if I was, I think I am supposed to put some banner below my posts?

Message 7 of 15 (1,859 Views)
Explorer

550 shared family plan             ($59.99)

200 txt messages per line       ($10)

and the Iphone data package ($30)

Are you a secondary account to primary account of the family plan?  I think people on secondary account will probably have 20 months upgrade eligiblity as well.  I am currently on secondard with my wife's account and she got her phone in April last year and her original upgrade eligibility date was September of this year.  Our bill is $140 or something, but $90 of that is applied to my wife's number and $50 to mine so her elibility schedule will always be faster than me.

Message 8 of 15 (1,845 Views)
Tutor

yea daica, read the date wrong, my bad......In fact I see that you and I are in s imilar boats, my apologies and thanks for the assistance.

Message 9 of 15 (1,843 Views)

My text from ATT said "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and $18 upgrade fee."  Does this mean I can get a 16GB iPhone 4 for $199?

Message 10 of 15 (1,744 Views)
Teacher

Makaveli6103 wrote:

My text from ATT said "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and $18 upgrade fee."  Does this mean I can get a 16GB iPhone 4 for $199?

yes, I had the same message.  That's exactly what it means.

Message 11 of 15 (718 Views)
Guru

Makaveli6103 wrote:

Yes

Message 12 of 15 (717 Views)

Ok Good.  I am confused how I get the upgrade with my contract that started last June as a new customer with ATT and the iPhone 3GS.  When people that have been customers longer than me cannnot get the upgrade.  Weird.

Message 13 of 15 (717 Views)
Guru

Makaveli6103 wrote:

Ok Good.  I am confused how I get the upgrade with my contract that started last June as a new customer with ATT and the iPhone 3GS.  When people that have been customers longer than me cannnot get the upgrade.  Weird.

There are alot of factors that went into the movement of upgrade dates. Some met those conditions some didnt.

Message 14 of 15 (713 Views)
Tutor

LOL   I am a new customer as of May and customers who signed up in June with the new 3gs are being rewarded. 

AT&T POLICY STINKS

Message 15 of 15 (668 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.