Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 20, 2011
6:30:41 PM
View profile
Upgrade Dell Streak to Android 2.2

I just bought a Dell Streak from Best Buy and am using ATT&T as the carrier. I am currently on Android v1.6 and cannot seem to upgrade to 2.2. I tried the "check for updates" button but it says no updates are available. I am not getting any update notifacations either. I know that 2.2 (Froyo) was released for the Streak, so how do I get it?

I just bought a Dell Streak from Best Buy and am using ATT&T as the carrier. I am currently on Android v1.6 and cannot seem to upgrade to 2.2. I tried the "check for updates" button but it says no updates are available. I am not getting any update notifacations either. I know that 2.2 (Froyo) was released for the Streak, so how do I get it?

Upgrade Dell Streak to Android 2.2

41 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(41)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 10:59:03 PM
(0)
Mentor
Do a search on any of the Android webites. It should be there. Google is your friend. Can't believe they're still selling the Streak with 1.6! Let us know how you do.
Do a search on any of the Android webites. It should be there. Google is your friend. Can't believe they're still selling the Streak with 1.6! Let us know how you do.
U can't fix"stupid"so,keep it movin!

Re: Upgrade Dell Streak to Android 2.2

2 of 42 (1,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 5:29:11 AM
(0)
Professor
Hey Somaj, I just got a Dell Streak too just about two weeks ago off amazon. It was shipped with 1.6 and I toyed with it before updating so to be able to compare after the update. Saw your post over on Dell.com. Check xda-dev forms too or hit Google like LoudThud suggested.

I went to my settings then checked for updates and was able to do so successfully. Ask Best buy about it too. Your phone should be tagged to rrceive the update.

Hey Somaj, I just got a Dell Streak too just about two weeks ago off amazon. It was shipped with 1.6 and I toyed with it before updating so to be able to compare after the update. Saw your post over on Dell.com. Check xda-dev forms too or hit Google like LoudThud suggested.

I went to my settings then checked for updates and was able to do so successfully. Ask Best buy about it too. Your phone should be tagged to rrceive the update.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

3 of 42 (1,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 6:12:58 AM
(0)
Professor
What Should I Do if I Have Problems with the Update? For US customers, call the Dell Mobility Queue at 1-800-308-3355, select Technical Support from the menu and enter your Mobile Device Express Service Code. In the UK, call 0844 444 3244. In France, appelez le 09 69 39 00 31. In Germany, telefon 069 979 2 3840.
What Should I Do if I Have Problems with the Update? For US customers, call the Dell Mobility Queue at 1-800-308-3355, select Technical Support from the menu and enter your Mobile Device Express Service Code. In the UK, call 0844 444 3244. In France, appelez le 09 69 39 00 31. In Germany, telefon 069 979 2 3840.

4 of 42 (1,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 3:34:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I got my Streak 2 weeks ago from Best Buy and was able to update to 2.2 right away. You should check with Best Buy for the problem.

I got my Streak 2 weeks ago from Best Buy and was able to update to 2.2 right away. You should check with Best Buy for the problem.

5 of 42 (1,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:56:43 AM
(0)
Professor

ckchanod wrote:

Yes, I had absolutely no problems updating mine either , got it from Dell (via amazon)..   Ckchanod, how you like your tab/phone so far?  nice isnt it? no att bloatware at all on mine.  Check out androidforums.com and mydellmini.com and xda-developers forums in the dell section for tons of new stuff , announcements and suggestions, etc. since this forum doesnt have much android action.

also, we're trying to see if we can pool some android users to this discussion (as long as its open):

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Community-Discussion/bd-p/Android

ckchanod wrote:

Yes, I had absolutely no problems updating mine either , got it from Dell (via amazon)..   Ckchanod, how you like your tab/phone so far?  nice isnt it? no att bloatware at all on mine.  Check out androidforums.com and mydellmini.com and xda-developers forums in the dell section for tons of new stuff , announcements and suggestions, etc. since this forum doesnt have much android action.

also, we're trying to see if we can pool some android users to this discussion (as long as its open):

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Community-Discussion/bd-p/Android

6 of 42 (1,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 12:53:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the exact same problem.  I just realized that I remember seeing a new sim in the box.  They used the one from my Samsung Impression, which is a couple of years old.  Is there any chance that this is the source of the problem?

I have the exact same problem.  I just realized that I remember seeing a new sim in the box.  They used the one from my Samsung Impression, which is a couple of years old.  Is there any chance that this is the source of the problem?

7 of 42 (1,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 1:01:08 PM
(0)
Professor
Not sure, but if you still have the sim, call att and walk them through your issue and let them know you have a new sim that came with the phone and can you go ahead and activate it while the rep is on the phone. If anything, you herve
Not sure, but if you still have the sim, call att and walk them through your issue and let them know you have a new sim that came with the phone and can you go ahead and activate it while the rep is on the phone. If anything, you herve

8 of 42 (1,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 1:05:30 PM
(0)
Professor
Lol my typing. If anything, you will have a new sim. Then go from ther with having att get u your update pushed to your tab/phone
Lol my typing. If anything, you will have a new sim. Then go from ther with having att get u your update pushed to your tab/phone

9 of 42 (1,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 1:19:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am having the exact same problem. I bought my first streak from Best Buy over 2 weeks ago and was able to update it immediately. I began to have problems with the screen not working, so I took it back and got a replacement three days ago, and haven't been able to update the new one. I can tell you the problem isn't the sim, because the sim in my first phone that I was able to update was the same one I've had for over 2 years. It seems to just be a problem with phones bought from Best Buy in the last few days.

I am having the exact same problem. I bought my first streak from Best Buy over 2 weeks ago and was able to update it immediately. I began to have problems with the screen not working, so I took it back and got a replacement three days ago, and haven't been able to update the new one. I can tell you the problem isn't the sim, because the sim in my first phone that I was able to update was the same one I've had for over 2 years. It seems to just be a problem with phones bought from Best Buy in the last few days.

10 of 42 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 1:44:12 PM
(0)
Professor
I agree it isnt the sim. Just stating if he wants to activate the one that came in the box, now is good time as any to do so while having customer service on the line.

Love to hear what resolved both your cases. Please post as soon as youget the update.

What were some of the major issues you had again, the screen stopped responding altogether? That wasnt good.
I agree it isnt the sim. Just stating if he wants to activate the one that came in the box, now is good time as any to do so while having customer service on the line.

Love to hear what resolved both your cases. Please post as soon as youget the update.

What were some of the major issues you had again, the screen stopped responding altogether? That wasnt good.

11 of 42 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 10:07:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
The screen would work perfectly most of the time, and for no aparent reason it would just stop working. Anyway, anyone come up with a solution? Still not able to update it my phone.
The screen would work perfectly most of the time, and for no aparent reason it would just stop working. Anyway, anyone come up with a solution? Still not able to update it my phone.

12 of 42 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 10:13:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Were you able to use the 2.2 update link found'n in the Dell Streak (android) discussion in this forum? Or did you already update to 2.2 and your nonresponse issue began after the update?
Were you able to use the 2.2 update link found'n in the Dell Streak (android) discussion in this forum? Or did you already update to 2.2 and your nonresponse issue began after the update?

13 of 42 (1,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 10:30:17 PM
(0)
Professor
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1006601

Look at the link at the bottom of the page of this link and see if u can download 2.2 direct from dell
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1006601

Look at the link at the bottom of the page of this link and see if u can download 2.2 direct from dell

14 of 42 (1,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 10:55:51 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by tsb123 on Mar 26, 2011 at 10:57:38 AM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dell_Streak#Official

Go to this link on your streak and click 340 on the left side of the table.

^_^

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Dell_Streak#Official

Go to this link on your streak and click 340 on the left side of the table.

^_^

[ Edited ]
15 of 42 (1,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 11:20:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Bought mine two days ago at BB and was told "YES! It will update to 2.2"

No such luck yet, I check the update page religously.  I was told by Dell that their is no update; Bestbuy reps online said no as well.  AT&T doesn't provide any definitive YES or NO answer to this question.  I don't want a rooted version....Does it exist?  The BB rep at the store said I have to wait 48 hours.....any truth to this guys?

I have the white one....does that make a difference?  I just want better battery life and swype keying....

Bought mine two days ago at BB and was told "YES! It will update to 2.2"

No such luck yet, I check the update page religously.  I was told by Dell that their is no update; Bestbuy reps online said no as well.  AT&T doesn't provide any definitive YES or NO answer to this question.  I don't want a rooted version....Does it exist?  The BB rep at the store said I have to wait 48 hours.....any truth to this guys?

I have the white one....does that make a difference?  I just want better battery life and swype keying....

16 of 42 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 11:34:21 AM
(0)
Professor
Go to the message above yours in this discussion. From your streak, click that link.
Go to the message above yours in this discussion. From your streak, click that link.

17 of 42 (1,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 10:05:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

January 3rd, 2011 I purchase the Streak Mini 5 from Best Buy and got the Black Tie to go with it. Froyo 2.2 was there already. The phone broke - they replaced it (6 Long Weeks Later!!!) but, the nightmare begins because the unit they gave me (wish they would have repaired it!) was old stock and has Android 1.6 then trying to upgrade I find that NO ONE KNOWS anything about this phone. Dell does not seem to support it, AT&T knows nothing about it and cannot support it Best Buy is my best bet and on the phone with Black Tie I see that the do not know this device and cannot support it. Hoping for better results when I go to Best Buy. I must say that I feel this was a huge mistake. I should have just stuck with the same old same old. I think Best Buy and AT&T are running a bit of a scam on this phone. I think next year you will not find these phones available. Anyway I will upgrade my post after I visit the Best Buy on Masonic in SF.

January 3rd, 2011 I purchase the Streak Mini 5 from Best Buy and got the Black Tie to go with it. Froyo 2.2 was there already. The phone broke - they replaced it (6 Long Weeks Later!!!) but, the nightmare begins because the unit they gave me (wish they would have repaired it!) was old stock and has Android 1.6 then trying to upgrade I find that NO ONE KNOWS anything about this phone. Dell does not seem to support it, AT&T knows nothing about it and cannot support it Best Buy is my best bet and on the phone with Black Tie I see that the do not know this device and cannot support it. Hoping for better results when I go to Best Buy. I must say that I feel this was a huge mistake. I should have just stuck with the same old same old. I think Best Buy and AT&T are running a bit of a scam on this phone. I think next year you will not find these phones available. Anyway I will upgrade my post after I visit the Best Buy on Masonic in SF.

18 of 42 (1,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 10:33:07 AM
(0)
Professor
Go to your settings then "about phone", jot down the baseband of your phone. Then type type this link in the browser of the phone, replacing the baseband with yours

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A####31
Go to your settings then "about phone", jot down the baseband of your phone. Then type type this link in the browser of the phone, replacing the baseband with yours

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/?version=GAUSB1A####31

19 of 42 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 10:37:19 AM
(0)
Professor
If it still says none available, its because Dells system shows that its been upgraded already. Theres an 800 number on this forum in a discussion where you might get a different person or department from who you may have already reached. What exactly happened to it that you had to send it in for repairs? Mine is wworking like a charm.
If it still says none available, its because Dells system shows that its been upgraded already. Theres an 800 number on this forum in a discussion where you might get a different person or department from who you may have already reached. What exactly happened to it that you had to send it in for repairs? Mine is wworking like a charm.

20 of 42 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 12:02:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Greycrow on Apr 4, 2011 at 12:11:56 PM

I get the same message that I get when I simply try the upgrade: no software updats available at this time.

I still have 1.6!

What the heck is going on? My first one was cool it had 2.2 on it when i bought it. Very Very frustrating to be spending this kind of money and not being able to solve what should be a simple thing.

The fact that it is an AT&T phone appears to be the problem. Unlocked versions are upgrade easy, even the Dell site points that out that their links do not work for AT&T. So, AT&T cannot support and Dell seems to be part of that mess. Or, well I do not know...

Thanks for trying though.

greycrow

I get the same message that I get when I simply try the upgrade: no software updats available at this time.

I still have 1.6!

What the heck is going on? My first one was cool it had 2.2 on it when i bought it. Very Very frustrating to be spending this kind of money and not being able to solve what should be a simple thing.

The fact that it is an AT&T phone appears to be the problem. Unlocked versions are upgrade easy, even the Dell site points that out that their links do not work for AT&T. So, AT&T cannot support and Dell seems to be part of that mess. Or, well I do not know...

Thanks for trying though.

greycrow

[ Edited ]
21 of 42 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 12:08:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well that was a stupid thing. 5 days after i bought it i had it in my heavy overcoat pocket at work (Doorman) screen face out, leaned against car loading luggage and totally crushed it. So, the $10 bucks for Black Tie was well spent, but Best Buy's service is notoriously slow, 6 weeks and it appears they lost the phone 'cause they could find nothing searching for it for 14 days, finally they approved the replacement instead of repair. I did have to call each and everyday so they got tired of me calling and I got it. But to get even with me (paranoid much?) they gave me an old one (new in the box but old version).

greycrow

Well that was a stupid thing. 5 days after i bought it i had it in my heavy overcoat pocket at work (Doorman) screen face out, leaned against car loading luggage and totally crushed it. So, the $10 bucks for Black Tie was well spent, but Best Buy's service is notoriously slow, 6 weeks and it appears they lost the phone 'cause they could find nothing searching for it for 14 days, finally they approved the replacement instead of repair. I did have to call each and everyday so they got tired of me calling and I got it. But to get even with me (paranoid much?) they gave me an old one (new in the box but old version).

greycrow

22 of 42 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 12:14:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

"...Technical Support from the menu and enter your Mobile Device Express Service Code"

I do not have an Express Service Code (that i know of). Will this still work?

"...Technical Support from the menu and enter your Mobile Device Express Service Code"

I do not have an Express Service Code (that i know of). Will this still work?

23 of 42 (959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 12:19:31 PM
(0)
Professor
you are welcome. It should be as simple as dell or att removing the updated flag that the servers have on yoir baseband and then allow you to uldate again. Id call dell back and walk them thru how you got the repaired streak with 1.6

Somebody can help u there to get your unique id unflagged so it recognizes your streak as pending update.
you are welcome. It should be as simple as dell or att removing the updated flag that the servers have on yoir baseband and then allow you to uldate again. Id call dell back and walk them thru how you got the repaired streak with 1.6

Somebody can help u there to get your unique id unflagged so it recognizes your streak as pending update.

24 of 42 (957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 12:25:12 PM
(0)
Professor
Oh, so it is a brand new streak , which comes out of the box at 1.6. I may have responded earlier out of sync...

Still there is some sort of block or status showing that phone is "cough, cough,.. Updated"

Yep call and bug the crap out of dell till somebody listens.. Somebody must know what to do so it will update.. I wonder if they can send you an apk file or whatever its called and bypass it that way?
Oh, so it is a brand new streak , which comes out of the box at 1.6. I may have responded earlier out of sync...

Still there is some sort of block or status showing that phone is "cough, cough,.. Updated"

Yep call and bug the crap out of dell till somebody listens.. Somebody must know what to do so it will update.. I wonder if they can send you an apk file or whatever its called and bypass it that way?

25 of 42 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 12:48:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Glomag on Apr 4, 2011 at 1:54:51 PM

I called 611 att is not able to help with any software issues you need to call Dell.

While on hold with Dell, they tell you that if the issue is the Android update you should go to Privacy and do a factory reset (losing all date but not stuff on the smart card). So I did that lost all my google and facebook settings but still get the "No Software Updates available"!  

I am on hold and now see that I have misheard the message. "If you are having issues AFTER the Android Froyo update do a factory update."

This is so much fun i wish i could spend the rest of my life with fixing stuff I already paid for.

greycrow

I called 611 att is not able to help with any software issues you need to call Dell.

While on hold with Dell, they tell you that if the issue is the Android update you should go to Privacy and do a factory reset (losing all date but not stuff on the smart card). So I did that lost all my google and facebook settings but still get the "No Software Updates available"!  

I am on hold and now see that I have misheard the message. "If you are having issues AFTER the Android Froyo update do a factory update."

This is so much fun i wish i could spend the rest of my life with fixing stuff I already paid for.

greycrow

[ Edited ]
26 of 42 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 1:17:20 PM
(0)
Professor
Oh that is inconvenient. But wben this is finally straighened out you will be back ontop of the world. But its totally besg buys fault to lose your orig phone. To be honest with you, best buy seem to tell most customers "they lost it". Makes you wonder what are they really doing. Seriously more have lost phones dealing with best buy support. Get a real person on the dell line. Surely they got you registered n the system.
Oh that is inconvenient. But wben this is finally straighened out you will be back ontop of the world. But its totally besg buys fault to lose your orig phone. To be honest with you, best buy seem to tell most customers "they lost it". Makes you wonder what are they really doing. Seriously more have lost phones dealing with best buy support. Get a real person on the dell line. Surely they got you registered n the system.

27 of 42 (941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 1:33:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

They do (have me in their system) now (I actually have about 8 Dell computers in my house counting the ones I no longer use and need to get to Green Recycle). The owner of the phone was listed as Best Buy but Jade took my pertinents and sent it off to the right dept. (Ever seen the movie Brazil?) and in 24 to 48 hours I should be listed. But anytime I call using the service tag (she helped me find that) they will see me. I told them about the Best Buy old phone stuff. The sent me a link:

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg and said with WiFi on I just clicked it and the rest would be automatic. I would lose all my data but that should do it. I ain't Dancing With The Stars yet, but we will see what we see.

Thanks again.

greycrow

They do (have me in their system) now (I actually have about 8 Dell computers in my house counting the ones I no longer use and need to get to Green Recycle). The owner of the phone was listed as Best Buy but Jade took my pertinents and sent it off to the right dept. (Ever seen the movie Brazil?) and in 24 to 48 hours I should be listed. But anytime I call using the service tag (she helped me find that) they will see me. I told them about the Best Buy old phone stuff. The sent me a link:

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg and said with WiFi on I just clicked it and the rest would be automatic. I would lose all my data but that should do it. I ain't Dancing With The Stars yet, but we will see what we see.

Thanks again.

greycrow

28 of 42 (934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 2:02:29 PM
(0)
Professor
Lol you will be dancing over the stars and planet soon. Looks like they got things in motion for you. That is verh good. Yep losing all your data mite be a small price for a brand spanking new streek! Smiley Very Happy

Havent see. Brazil yet. Will have to place it in my netflix queue. Hey you may have solved others who come across the update issue after you.

Theres a dell streak discussion at wireless / phones and devices / android. From there you will see some discussionss. Maybe post your resolution there so others can glean from your wealth?
Lol you will be dancing over the stars and planet soon. Looks like they got things in motion for you. That is verh good. Yep losing all your data mite be a small price for a brand spanking new streek! Smiley Very Happy

Havent see. Brazil yet. Will have to place it in my netflix queue. Hey you may have solved others who come across the update issue after you.

Theres a dell streak discussion at wireless / phones and devices / android. From there you will see some discussionss. Maybe post your resolution there so others can glean from your wealth?

29 of 42 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 4:42:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

will do but i have two questions regarding this solution.

the reason for the questions is that my AT&T router sucks and stops transmitting and the connection breaks.

this causes my netflix thingy to stop working and I have to go back to the beginning and start over.

this file is hugh, like 150mb so it is downloading for like 20 minutes the router does its stupid thing and the connection breaks the download stops and says the download was interupted and cannot be started again. I am on my 4 attempt right now. So, if it does not work again.

1. is there a way to get my phone/tablet to work with ethernet cable i have for my two old desktops?

2 or i am downloading the file to my desktop and then plan to transfer it to the smart card on my phone and access it from there. Will that work?

will do but i have two questions regarding this solution.

the reason for the questions is that my AT&T router sucks and stops transmitting and the connection breaks.

this causes my netflix thingy to stop working and I have to go back to the beginning and start over.

this file is hugh, like 150mb so it is downloading for like 20 minutes the router does its stupid thing and the connection breaks the download stops and says the download was interupted and cannot be started again. I am on my 4 attempt right now. So, if it does not work again.

1. is there a way to get my phone/tablet to work with ethernet cable i have for my two old desktops?

2 or i am downloading the file to my desktop and then plan to transfer it to the smart card on my phone and access it from there. Will that work?

30 of 42 (901 Views)