Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 23, 2012
7:42:17 PM
View profile
Upgrade/Activation issues for new Samsung Galaxy S3

When AT&T started pre order for Samsung Galaxy S3, I tried to order it as an upgrade to my iPhone 3GS. I am eligible for the upgrade. But AT&T website kept giving me "System Unavailable" error message. Then I tried to order as a new line, and my order went through, but it issued me new phone number (and new contract). I received my phone on June 21st. When I called AT&T to activate , first rep told me that since SIM card and IMEI ID already associated with new phone number, I will have to return this phone and place a new order as an upgrade.

I called again and I was told that I could just go to AT&T store and get a new SIM card and have them upgrade it to my existing number. When I got new SIM card from AT&T store and called AT&T, I was told that in order to cancel this new contract either I have to return the phone or pay early termination fee (I just receivedthis phone yesterday)!!! AT&T cannot change this phone to my existing number.

I had trouble ordering as an upgrade when pre order went online. I am sure other people had same issues on first day. I want to find out how to activate this phone to my existing number without returning this phone, since the availiblity is big issue.

When AT&T started pre order for Samsung Galaxy S3, I tried to order it as an upgrade to my iPhone 3GS. I am eligible for the upgrade. But AT&T website kept giving me "System Unavailable" error message. Then I tried to order as a new line, and my order went through, but it issued me new phone number (and new contract). I received my phone on June 21st. When I called AT&T to activate , first rep told me that since SIM card and IMEI ID already associated with new phone number, I will have to return this phone and place a new order as an upgrade.

I called again and I was told that I could just go to AT&T store and get a new SIM card and have them upgrade it to my existing number. When I got new SIM card from AT&T store and called AT&T, I was told that in order to cancel this new contract either I have to return the phone or pay early termination fee (I just receivedthis phone yesterday)!!! AT&T cannot change this phone to my existing number.

I had trouble ordering as an upgrade when pre order went online. I am sure other people had same issues on first day. I want to find out how to activate this phone to my existing number without returning this phone, since the availiblity is big issue.

Upgrade/Activation issues for new Samsung Galaxy S3

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2012 8:04:03 PM
(0)
Master

npatel36 wrote:

go to the store but I think they may be right.  The phone was sent as a new line/contract and it needs to be returned to ensure you do not have a contract and line you do not want.  I would try to see if the store will take the phone as a return then immediately sell it back to you as an upgrade?

Things can get dicey when you go outside the norms especially online.  They just cannot build their systems to handle every situation.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

npatel36 wrote:

go to the store but I think they may be right.  The phone was sent as a new line/contract and it needs to be returned to ensure you do not have a contract and line you do not want.  I would try to see if the store will take the phone as a return then immediately sell it back to you as an upgrade?

Things can get dicey when you go outside the norms especially online.  They just cannot build their systems to handle every situation.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Upgrade/Activation issues for new Samsung Galaxy S3

2 of 2 (8,592 Views)